***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Bilstein 5100 Need Help

This is a discussion on Bilstein 5100 Need Help within the Offroad forums, part of the General Discussion category; After having my superlift shocks for just over 2 years Im tired of riding around on a tank pretty much. ...

Bilstein 5100 Need Help

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    After having my superlift shocks for just over 2 years Im tired of riding around on a tank pretty much. Bilstein 5100's seem to be the common favorite here for ride comfort. So this is my question. Im pretty sure I need shocks that are longer than the ones made for the 6" lift. My setup is a 6" superlift knuckle, cranked with keys. I have a total of 6-7" rear lift. So do I need shocks with more lift than the ones that they list? The highest I can find is for 4-6" lift. Any input helps, thanks. By the way its an 02 sierra 1500 4x4.
    Last edited by 02LiftedSierra; 03-29-2010 at 09:51 AM.

In Valor There Is Hope WildChevys's Avatar

Re: Bilstein 5100 Need Help

i think the 4-6" should be fine

2013 Chevy Silverado
    Zone/Nitto/Gear Alloy/Airaid/Magnaflow/EFI Live/Pioneer/Alpine/and more
    2011 Chevy Tahoe

Will the ride be rough because I have aftermarket keys and cranked the front up a little on top of the lift?

counter terra-ist tactics bonedust's Avatar

rougher than it could be, yes.
    2006 3/4 Suburban Assult Vehicle
    8.1/stg-3 4l80e, divorced 273, 60/14b, 5.38, ARB locker front and rear,radius arms on King coilovers, 47" Growlers, lighting by Rigid LED and Lightforce HID, in-vehicle vault. next: custom roof rack

Hmm.. Im still wondering since i'm sitting higher than a 6" lift will the 4-6's still be ok? I've been reading on here that after you crank the t bars If you don't get 2" longer shocks than it can cause premature wear? Im just trying to get all my info straight because these shocks definitely are not the cheapest and I don't want the fronts to ride rough like they are now and wear out faster.

Currently New Windsor NY but Texas is home.

With stock shocks and 2 inches of crank on a stock truck you would need longer shocks, because that 2 inches dang near puts the stock shocks fully extended. I agree with bonedust those 4-6 inch lift shocks should do the trick. If you still don't think they will work measure the distance between mounting points at fully compressed and fully extended and see if Bilstein offers anything in that range. Idealy you want a shock that will have a collapsed length that will allow your suspension to be fully compressed (til something else hits, preferably bump stops) and that will also allow full droop....
    Last edited by 1978steven; 03-30-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    2002 Silverado 2500HD LB7 CCSB LT
    EFI Live by Rob at ATP, Edge CTS Insight DSP 5 control, S&B CAI, PPE boost valve, Pro Fab AIH, AirDog II 165, PPE WIF sensor delete plug, 5" stainless exhaust, Cognito braces & HD tie rods, H2's 315/70 R17 BFG's
    2004 Tahoe LT
    2006 Silverado Z71 LS
    1971 Chevy C10

Cool thanks for the advice. Where can I get the best deals on these 5100's?

In Valor There Is Hope WildChevys's Avatar

shop around online

2013 Chevy Silverado
    Zone/Nitto/Gear Alloy/Airaid/Magnaflow/EFI Live/Pioneer/Alpine/and more
    2011 Chevy Tahoe

I just picked up some Bilstein shocks for my SAS at Summit racing. I picked Summit because we have a retail store right in town. They are $79 something and they match prices, if you want longer ones you want to look at the 5125's they come in assorted sized extended and collapsed. Make sure you get the measurements for full droop and full compression, remember to allow about 1/2" extra for compression.
    1993 k1500 8" SAS on 35's
    2003 350Z (for street fun)
    2005 Yamaha R1 (more street fun)

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLUDE View Post
    I just picked up some Bilstein shocks for my SAS at Summit racing. I picked Summit because we have a retail store right in town. They are $79 something and they match prices, if you want longer ones you want to look at the 5125's they come in assorted sized extended and collapsed. Make sure you get the measurements for full droop and full compression, remember to allow about 1/2" extra for compression.
    Do you have to take off the existing shock to do the measurements? Stupid question probably but pretty new to the lift scene and about to tackle the same situation. I've been looking at the 5150's tho. Are they any better than the 5100's?

What you want to do it jack your truck up so that you can remove or at least relax your torsion bar. then measure the spacing between your upper and lower mounts at full droop. Then max out the travel upward so that flex stops, measure the distance between the two mounting points again. The difference between these two numbers is the amount of travel the new shock will need. Also the measurement of max upward travel will be the collapsed length of the shock, and the max downward travel will be the extended length of the shock. Make sure to give at least a 1/2" extra for extended length and collapsed length travel. 5150's have the attached reservoir, Google the difference between gas charged shocks and reservoir shocks, or go to Bilsteins website.
    1993 k1500 8" SAS on 35's
    2003 350Z (for street fun)
    2005 Yamaha R1 (more street fun)

Mine are for 4-6" of lift and my lift is cranked up and they are fine. try suspensionconnection.com they have good prices. You won't regret getting them I can tell ya that!!!

6" Fabtech/1.5" zone BL/4.56's/Detroit Truetrac/20x10 KMC D-back's/36" baja claws/Bilstein 5100's/Volant CAI/ Pacesetter LT's/ 3" ORY/bullet and flowmaster/Baker Engineering Tune/Line-X Bed and rockers and more...also a voided warranty