GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

cut out fender flares how large of tires

This is a discussion on cut out fender flares how large of tires within the Offroad forums, part of the General Discussion category; I want to know how large of a tire I can use without blowing my running gear and rubbing after ...

cut out fender flares how large of tires

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I want to know how large of a tire I can use without blowing my running gear and rubbing after I install the bushwacker cut outs. I only do light wheeling in the sand and am also open to any suggestions on tires. I am not going to lift my truck just cut it up ALOT!

You feel lucky......Punk? RnuovZ71's Avatar

Re: cut out fender flares how large of tires

in order to help you, it would help us if we knew what you were working on. year/model/make???

Infantryman in the US Army

wat kind of truck?
    ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐

98 z71
    09 Silvy

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRingo View Post
    ur truck is gay............ no not really, its straight and has sex with attractive women

Sorry guys its a 1995 Chevy extended cab short box. Eventually I want to bobb the ass end and add homemade bumpers plus a lot more but one thing at a time for now.

You feel lucky......Punk? RnuovZ71's Avatar

you could fit 35"s with some cutting and hacking i guess, but they would have to be narrow!

Infantryman in the US Army

35s sound good I found the nitto dune grapplers 315/75r16 at 34 and a half inches [about] and I think since I basically wheel at the dunes Ill either go with those or 305/70s at about 33 inches which I think will be plenty large enough for what I am trying to accomplish. I really don't need the additional stress on parts cause I enjoy wrenchin but not the buyin part. I've read a bit about the dune grapplers but has anyone tried them out? I actually think they look stupid but am not sure what else to buy I have tried other tires in the past but they were almost always too aggressive for the sand and I just dig in too much no matter how much I air down. Usually I'll run an old, semi bald, all terrain tire but want something that has that an aggresive looking sidewall. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't buy dune grapplers. They look gay with all the flames and nonsense.
    05 Dodge 2500 AAM 9.25/10.5

Quote Originally Posted by gtamazing View Post
    I wouldn't buy dune grapplers. They look gay with all the flames and nonsense.
    I just googled it....you're damn right.

I wouldn't let them get anywhere near my truck.

counter terra-ist tactics bonedust's Avatar

dune grappler tread life is very short if they spend any time on pavement.
    2006 3/4 Suburban Assult Vehicle
    8.1/stg-3 4l80e, divorced 273, 60/14b, 5.38, ARB locker front and rear,radius arms on King coilovers, 47" Growlers, lighting by Rigid LED and Lightforce HID, in-vehicle vault. next: custom roof rack

they suck in sand and offroad.. well anywhere too lol

I totally agree those tires look gay but I cant find a decent street tire that will work better than what I normally run in the sand. Does anyone have any suggestions.

I totally agree those tires look gay but I cant find a decent street tire that will work better than what I normally run in the sand. Does anyone have any suggestions.

01 2500HD 8.1/Ally/D60HP/ORU ~13in/ Bils 5150's/39.5 Rockers/spooled rear, detroit front/5.13s/AEM/Magnaflow/PSC/Nelson tune and some more.

05 F-350 SRW Lariat PSD - tow rig, AEM, straight piped with 6.4L tip.

08 Honda Civic Mugen Si - Stock, DD.

Toyo All Terrains
    '00 Chevy Silverado Z71, 233k miles
    '97 Ford F250 ECLB, 7.3/ZF5. Tow Pig
    '98 Chevy K1500 ECSB, SAS - Sold
    '94 GMC C1500 RCLB, DD - Sold
    Some guys think that if you got a cooler car that your better then other guys; Those guys are right. - Adam Farrara

If your wanted a good tire for the sand then you need to go wider. If you go with 35s they will be narrow and that isnt what you want. The wider the tire the better you will float on top of the sand.

Chief Reality Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Darty03 View Post
    If your wanted a good tire for the sand then you need to go wider. If you go with 35s they will be narrow and that isnt what you want. The wider the tire the better you will float on top of the sand.
    I knew a guy that had a 2wd truck that put the widest tire he could find on his rims. just a good A/T pattern. in sandy stuff, he never got stuck. you couldn't count on him to get you out of trouble, but he was always cruising along no matter what the guys with the heavier trucks with the taller tires were doing.

I never had any problems getting anywhere with my 315 Cooper STTs, I had those at the dunes a bunch of times. If you want less aggressive than that, the Dick Cepek FC-II are a nice tire, or a Cooper ST.
    Last edited by CowboyUp; 08-20-2010 at 06:13 AM.
    2001 Silverado 1500/ 6" Fabtech/ 3" BL /315 Cooper STTs/ limo tint/ 2 1/2in true duals *SOLD*
    2003 Silverado 1500HD 6" lift and 35s

Well guys I've been looking around and ironically enough I think I found what I was looking for on my uncles truck. His is with the stupid large rims and lower profile tires but the tread was right and looking around so is the price. They also have a good looking semi aggresive sidewall and he has gotten tons of milage out of them the only problem is he doesn't go off road [unless its down an alley or over a flower pot] and I'm not sure how well they will actually do in the sand. They are TOYO Open Countrys and the size is 305/70 R16 which should calculate to a 33" by 12"wide tire [according to their specs] and what I am wondering out there is anyone or anyone you know running this tire and how well is it working for them? On a side note I took my boy out to my old spot [mom wouldn't let him go til he was a teenager] he was scared to death and evetually got over it, he started recognizing the different sands [black,blow,hard packed and the siltystuff] and realized what the truck was capable of and why I love it I just wanted to share cause it was awesome. So I'll be checking in soon to find out about those tires cause I stuffed one so bad it unrolled the edge I hammered back and cut the tire to the side of the steel belt.

Are the tires a/t or m/t? I have the m/t and love them, real good on road manners, good in the mud, and seam to be wearing good. This truck doesnt go near the beach, so I havent had them in the sand.

They are the m/t tires they may be semi aggressive but I'll sacrifice some spirited driving for their good looks.