If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

This is a discussion on Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install within the Offroad forums, part of the General Discussion category; pictures pictures pictures...

  1. #21
    In Valor There Is Hope WildChevys's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    31
    Posts
    23,725

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install


    Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    pictures pictures pictures


    2013 Chevy Silverado
    Zone/Nitto/Gear Alloy/Airaid/Magnaflow/EFI Live/Pioneer/Alpine/and more
    2011 Chevy Tahoe

  2. #22
    Registered User blackchevy1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sudbury ontario canada
    Age
    34
    Posts
    95

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    Quote Originally Posted by WildChevys View Post
    pictures pictures pictures
    haha! very soon my friend! so what do u think wild...could this be a bad alignment??

  3. #23
    In Valor There Is Hope WildChevys's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    31
    Posts
    23,725

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    it's 1 possibility. the u-joint is another IMO. i would get the alignment checked though and start to rule stuff out


    2013 Chevy Silverado
    Zone/Nitto/Gear Alloy/Airaid/Magnaflow/EFI Live/Pioneer/Alpine/and more
    2011 Chevy Tahoe

  4. #24
    lbajo1
    Guest

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCharisma View Post
    +1 post count
    +1post count???

  5. #25
    Registered User blackchevy1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sudbury ontario canada
    Age
    34
    Posts
    95

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    Quote Originally Posted by grkpmpn69 View Post
    ...did you get and alignment done on the truck after the lift? I had the same problem, vibration after i hit 20-25mph, but when i would brake it would stop, and continue when i let off the brake...
    yes i did...the place where i brought it didnt even want to touch it lol...so i have an apt this friday with a place that does lifted trucks ..its out of town but obviously worth the drive...and yes this is similar to what is going on with mine...but mine does it only from stop to about 30 k's..then from there to stop!...did you have this problem after the alignment? and did it clear up?
    Last edited by blackchevy1980; 09-21-2010 at 10:01 AM.

  6. #26
    Registered User fullsizechevy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    24
    Posts
    282

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    Axle wrap?
    1999 ECSB Seirra 5.3/4L60E/NP241 SAS 60/14ff 5.13's/40's
    2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.6 Dmax/Allison LTZ CCSB Z71 35" MTZ's

  7. #27
    Registered User wpb0104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cumming, Ga
    Posts
    84

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    when you go over 4 inch suspension, you are supposed to get your drive shaft lengthened. i put a 6 inch on mine and i had to lengthen mine 2 inches.

  8. #28
    Registered User blackchevy1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sudbury ontario canada
    Age
    34
    Posts
    95

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    Quote Originally Posted by fullsizechevy69 View Post
    Axle wrap?
    im starting to think this also...

  9. #29
    Registered User blackchevy1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sudbury ontario canada
    Age
    34
    Posts
    95

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    Quote Originally Posted by wpb0104 View Post
    when you go over 4 inch suspension, you are supposed to get your drive shaft lengthened. i put a 6 inch on mine and i had to lengthen mine 2 inches.
    yeah i know in some cases you have to but i have looked into it and did some measurements...the driveshaft is only out of the TC about 1/4 inch...the lift didnt really pull it out that much..i dont think i need a longer one as its not that extreme. my angle from my difff to the DS is nice and inlign, but it is definately not paralell to the exit out of the TC..this is where im assuming the vibrations are coming from due to the angle..but im re-doing the alignment friday to at least rule that out and i just picked up some 2 degree shims for the rear..might try that also to see..
    Last edited by blackchevy1980; 09-22-2010 at 07:43 AM.

  10. #30
    In Valor There Is Hope WildChevys's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    31
    Posts
    23,725

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    Quote Originally Posted by wpb0104 View Post
    when you go over 4 inch suspension, you are supposed to get your drive shaft lengthened. i put a 6 inch on mine and i had to lengthen mine 2 inches.
    it depends on the lift kit.


    2013 Chevy Silverado
    Zone/Nitto/Gear Alloy/Airaid/Magnaflow/EFI Live/Pioneer/Alpine/and more
    2011 Chevy Tahoe

  11. #31
    FSC SOUTHEAST CHAPTER kirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Douglasville, GA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,709

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    Quote Originally Posted by wpb0104 View Post
    when you go over 4 inch suspension, you are supposed to get your drive shaft lengthened. i put a 6 inch on mine and i had to lengthen mine 2 inches.
    Not really. With a 6" lift on my truck, and stock driveshaft, it was fine. The rear is currently sitting roughly 7-8" higher than stock, and it's still fine with the stock shaft. I'm hoping I can go up to 10" of lift without a new shaft.
    01 SFA 1500: project truck, in pieces again
    87 Jeep Cherokee: trail rig, slowly getting built
    03 Buick LeSabre: fully loaded daily driver
    84 M1009: constantly broken money pit, finally gone

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    23

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    Post some pics of your rear driveshaft angles. What you are describing sounds like a driveline vibration, more than an alignment issue. How was the back end lifted? blocks? Keep in mind that the working angle on a standard u-joint in only 2-3 degrees. By that I mean that the angle on the front u-joint and the angle on the rear u-joint have to be within 2 degrees of each other, or you will get vibration. Ideally, the rear u-joint should be at an angle 2 degrees steeper than the front u-joint to compensate for axle wrap. This way the angles will match each other when driving. If your angles do match each other, and you aren't getting excessive axle wrap, then you might want to invest in a cv shaft. I went throught the exact same thing when I lifted my k5 only 4 inches (shorter wheelbase makes the angles alot worse). It would vibrate slighly when accelerating hard at slower speeds, and on the highway it had a really bad vibration coming through the floor (like driving on a rumble strip). Rather than just throwing in a shim, measure the angles first to see how many degrees (if any) it needs to be shimmed. If the angle at the transfer case is greater than the angle at the diff, shimming will make it worse.

  13. #33
    Registered User blackchevy1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sudbury ontario canada
    Age
    34
    Posts
    95

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    Quote Originally Posted by 07coupegt View Post
    Post some pics of your rear driveshaft angles. What you are describing sounds like a driveline vibration, more than an alignment issue. How was the back end lifted? blocks? Keep in mind that the working angle on a standard u-joint in only 2-3 degrees. By that I mean that the angle on the front u-joint and the angle on the rear u-joint have to be within 2 degrees of each other, or you will get vibration. Ideally, the rear u-joint should be at an angle 2 degrees steeper than the front u-joint to compensate for axle wrap. This way the angles will match each other when driving. If your angles do match each other, and you aren't getting excessive axle wrap, then you might want to invest in a cv shaft. I went throught the exact same thing when I lifted my k5 only 4 inches (shorter wheelbase makes the angles alot worse). It would vibrate slighly when accelerating hard at slower speeds, and on the highway it had a really bad vibration coming through the floor (like driving on a rumble strip). Rather than just throwing in a shim, measure the angles first to see how many degrees (if any) it needs to be shimmed. If the angle at the transfer case is greater than the angle at the diff, shimming will make it worse.
    good info ..thanks...and yes i looked at it all this morning and the angle at the TC is definately greater then at the diff and they dont match at all. From the diff to the DS its pretty much straight and looks factory, but at the TC it has a good bend to her. And yes i got 5 inch blocks and an add a leaf in the rear...im swapping the blocks out for leafs through the winter tho..as i was never one for blocks its just for now. So anyways since my TC angle is greater and not matching the Diff angle how can i correct this???? is there a way so im not burning up u-joints at the TC !...and i will post pics of the truck but its been storming here for the past 3 daays..hopefully tomorro i can get some on here!...but let me know for sure about what i can do to improve the angle at the TC..
    Last edited by blackchevy1980; 09-23-2010 at 07:28 AM.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    23

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    To increase the angle at the diff, you can either switch to different blocks, or use shims to point the pinion down. Do not just leave it! Driveshaft vibrations can destroy u-joints, pinion bearings, and even cause damage to the transfer case. I have seen people actually crack the tail cone on the transefer case in some cases. Before buying shims, measure your angles to see how much you need, as shims come in all different sizes.

  15. #35
    Registered User blackchevy1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sudbury ontario canada
    Age
    34
    Posts
    95

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    Quote Originally Posted by 07coupegt View Post
    To increase the angle at the diff, you can either switch to different blocks, or use shims to point the pinion down. Do not just leave it! Driveshaft vibrations can destroy u-joints, pinion bearings, and even cause damage to the transfer case. I have seen people actually crack the tail cone on the transefer case in some cases. Before buying shims, measure your angles to see how much you need, as shims come in all different sizes.
    can i just turn my blocks around 180 degrees instead so that it brings the pinion down and paralell with the output?? cause yeah right now the pinion points up and the TCase is pretty much straigt across....so im assuming i can do this so that the pinion will be paralell with the output of the transfer case thus keeping the angles the same instead of shimming?? cause right now the angles are for sure different and im assuming this is what u mean by pointing the pinion down?...i should be able to turn my block 180 right to bring the pinion down?
    Last edited by blackchevy1980; 09-23-2010 at 09:36 AM.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    23

    Re: Vibration/Shuddering after 8" lift install

    Turning the blocks around would most likely point the pinion down too far.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •