If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

What is the Diff. between cranking the torsion bars vs Keys?

This is a discussion on What is the Diff. between cranking the torsion bars vs Keys? within the Offroad forums, part of the General Discussion category; What is the Difference between cranking the torsion bars as opposed to installing keys? Do the keys only allow the ...

What is the Diff. between cranking the torsion bars vs Keys?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    What is the Difference between cranking the torsion bars as opposed to installing keys?
    Do the keys only allow the adjuster bolt to be at a stock adjustment? Or do the keys put less stress on the torsion bars?

Supporting Gold Member GreaseDog's Avatar

Re: What is the Diff. between cranking the torsion bars vs Keys?

the keys allow you to throw more money away, rather than spending it wisely. the stock keys will crank the torsion bars all the way to the droop stops under the UCA.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

keys just let you crank em even more

00 Silverado , 5.3L, No cats or mufflers dumped over axle, little bit of thumpage, 3'' BL, Cranked, 285's, 35w 6000k lows, 55w 8000k highs, 4high mod.

What is the difference between this thread and the 200 other threads discussing the same exact thing in the past 3 months?

2004 VW GTI VR6, DD status.
    2005 Silverado z71, black, leveled, 315s
    2000 k2500 OBS CCSB, 4x4, vortec 7.4, SAS with hp d44, 37s sold 4/3/11
    98 k1500 SOLD 6/8/10
    95 land rover discovery

Keys only allow you to crank higher than you should. Really though, there's no difference.
    01 SFA 1500: project truck, in pieces again
    87 Jeep Cherokee: trail rig, slowly getting built
    03 Buick LeSabre: fully loaded daily driver
    84 M1009: constantly broken money pit, finally gone

Work Hard, Play Harder TheBigBlackHD's Avatar

OBS trucks, keys are pointless unless your tbars are shot. 99-02 NBS trucks, keys are overkill. You can get plenty out of factory keys, aftermarket keys just make you front end suicidal. 03+ NBS trucks, keys allow you to crank more than 1/4 inch. They are good to invest in in most cases.

But seriously, search and you will find about 40000000 threads on the pros and cons of cranking and keys.

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe
    XBL Gamertag: C Vengence

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBlackHD View Post
    OBS trucks, keys are pointless unless your tbars are shot. 99-02 NBS trucks, keys are overkill. You can get plenty out of factory keys, aftermarket keys just make you front end suicidal. 03+ NBS trucks, keys allow you to crank more than 1/4 inch. They are good to invest in in most cases.

But seriously, search and you will find about 40000000 threads on the pros and cons of cranking and keys.
    All NBS trucks do the exact same thing with stock keys. You're lucky to get an inch out of them. Doesn't matter if it's 99-02 or 03-06.

But yeah, if you have a NBS, they do allow you to crank more than an inch. On an OBS they're pointless though.

Work Hard, Play Harder TheBigBlackHD's Avatar

My 99 got way more crank than my buddys 06. I was sittin level with the keys max and a 3" block on 295s. He had to get Ford keys to sit his level with the factory 2" block a 285s.

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe
    XBL Gamertag: C Vengence

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBlackHD View Post
    My 99 got way more crank than my buddys 06. I was sittin level with the keys max and a 3" block on 295s. He had to get Ford keys to sit his level with the factory 2" block a 285s.
    I only got around an inch out of the stock keys on my 01, and my bars weren't even sagging.

Absolutely no difference whatsoever, except with keys you're more likely to drop the truck and kill yourself.

The stock keys can be cranked more than enough to completely fuxor your front CV angles, downtravel, and suspension geometry (so even 2wd is not immune from the ill effects.

Aftermarket/Ford/Indexed keys simply allow you to get the same lift while it looks like the keys remain in the stock position, so people are fooled into thinking that they aren't tweaking their front suspension beyond it's limits.... after all... the keys gave you 2" of lift, and you still have enough room to crank them 2" more!

Seriously... if you can't get enough lift from the stock keys, you need a spindle and front diff drop kit.

1995 Suburban 1500 2wd

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

-Brady-

FWIW, my '03 wouldn't level on the stockers. I had to use Ford keys (with hardly any crank) to level it.
    '04 Yukon - ManVan

Quote Originally Posted by gobrowntruck21 View Post
    FWIW, my '03 wouldn't level on the stockers. I had to use Ford keys (with hardly any crank) to level it.
    My '06 2500HD Duramax leveled perfectly with plenty of room to spare....

My original sig pic:

My angles:

Sitting in her natural habitat

1995 Suburban 1500 2wd

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

wish i would have listened about buyim aftermarket keys for my 97 z71...i bought the suspension max cam2 kit with the interlocking setting inside the torsion key..i think my truck actually sits lower in the front with the aftermarket keys than with my factory keys cranked..i cant crank my aftermarket keys anymore without it throwin my alignment all out of whack, my truck wont ride as well, and my tires will be toed in which i hate..im gonna put my factory keys back in..that way ill have some lift without all those problems
    06 GMC VortecMax CC 4wd- Leveled, 33" MTZ'S, Factory 17's, 4.10s, G80 locker, HIDS, Magnaflow Exhaust, AirAid CAI, Suncoast Creations hood

87' Chevy P/U SWB 4x4, Mild 383 stroker, TH400, 6" Suspension, 10 bolt/ 14 bolt SF, 4.56s, Locker in Rear, 35x14.50-15 TSL Radials

Dont listen to these guys, buying aftermarket torsion keys is the best way to go. Especially if you spend a lil extra and get the 200+ dollar readylift or truxxx keys. They let you raise the front end with absolutely 0 negative sideaffects. Your ride will be unaffected but youll gain height.
    Just read the companies advertisements and all their "testimonials"!

but seriously no, aftermarket keys do the same thing stock keys do. Cept on an nbs they let you crank further than the factory keys allow.
    My 06 is maybe a slight 1/2" lower in front after a crank, and a hunk of that is just squish in the front tires.
    But if you really need that little bit, check out ebay. guy called 'pricebusterchris' sells keys for 49 shipped all the time.......

isnt there a 60 some odd page sticky on this with pics and step by step in big bold print at the top of the page?
    Last edited by wademus; 10-25-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    2006 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, Standard Bed, L59 5.3, z71 4x4. Flowmaster 40 Delta, DiabloSport, Crank/Keys
    Soon: 285/70/17, New Shocks

-Brady-

Quote Originally Posted by RichLockyer View Post
    My '06 2500HD Duramax leveled perfectly with plenty of room to spare....

My original sig pic:

My angles:

Sitting in her natural habitat
    That's a damn nice looking truck.
    '04 Yukon - ManVan

Quote Originally Posted by gobrowntruck21 View Post
    That's a damn nice looking truck.
    Thanks mang.
    I hated to get rid of it, but I was issued a company car, and the $0.50/mile I was getting running it for work was literally making the payment and insurance.
    $1500/month yanked out of my pocket in exchange for free gas hurt the budget.

1995 Suburban 1500 2wd

You won't like my tastes Swims350's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseDog View Post
    the keys allow you to throw more money away, rather than spending it wisely. the stock keys will crank the torsion bars all the way to the droop stops under the UCA.

x infinity
    right there.

agreed with all of the above, obs nothing nbs maybe some more but not really needed, if you do, then time to look into a kit. Companies just think ppl do not know or won't find out, but want lift, so they sell them and it gives you lift, not knowing you could have done it yourself and for free.
    Last edited by Swims350; 10-26-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Chris

88 K1500 RCSB work in progress.