GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Need new leaf springs, what do I get?

This is a discussion on Need new leaf springs, what do I get? within the Offroad forums, part of the General Discussion category; My leaf springs in my 98 k1500 z71 are shot and I need something to replace them. I'm looking for ...

Need new leaf springs, what do I get?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    My leaf springs in my 98 k1500 z71 are shot and I need something to replace them. I'm looking for a real cheap but effective option and whatever I do, I dont want to have it lift the rear so high that I would have to max out the torsion keys just level it. The options I was thinking of was to go to the junkyard and get a set of 3/4 ton springs and then I'm sure I'll need new U-bolts , so that cost would be around $200. Or I got a buddy with a 94 suburban sitting around and I could probably get those springs for about $50-75 but I'm not sure if I'd need new u-bolts for that or not. Or I know of another guy that wants to sell me a set of NBS leafs (1" longer) from a 07 silverado 1500 for about $100. Anybody got any advice?
    '98 GMC Sierra 5.7L Z71
    AEM / Cooper / Alpine / Rockford Fosgate / true duals / toolbox

Registered User southcarolina12's Avatar

Re: Need new leaf springs, what do I get?

ive never really heard of leaf springs going bad but i would get some lifting leaf springs and just get some keys for the front and itll look awesome.

2000 silverado z71, 315 mud grapplers, leveled, k&n intake, flowmaster 40, cat delete, hid, strobes, bully dog tuner, msd ignition, e3 spark plugs, polished throttle body, shift kit, long tubes, z06 cam

I would suggest getting a set from a junkyard out of obs that doesn't look like it was ever used to haul anything. That would probably be the cheapest option. I don't know anything about using nbs leaves in obs. I think nbs 1500 springs are 3 leaf as opposed to obs 1500 being 4 leaf, correct me if i'm wrong. That sounds like a good deal for those springs tho. Whatever you do you are going to need new U-bolts because chances are they are rusted halfway through and you are only supposed to torque u-bolts once. Torsion bar keys are pointless in an obs because you can crank to the droop stops with stock keys which is too far anyway.
    1995 K2500 six lug - 305 TBI "5.slow" - 2 inch BL - slight TB crank - 33-12.50 Maxxis Bighorns-3.73- 206K+ Miles
    1999 K1500 ECSB 350 Vortec NBS 16'S Daily Driver

Registered User southcarolina12's Avatar

well idk anything about a obs but my nbs does have 3 leaf leaf spring in it i think. but i haul a sh!t load and i have over 200k on my truck and mine arent worn out.

2000 silverado z71, 315 mud grapplers, leveled, k&n intake, flowmaster 40, cat delete, hid, strobes, bully dog tuner, msd ignition, e3 spark plugs, polished throttle body, shift kit, long tubes, z06 cam

I think he means they're just sagging a lot. My boss has a 04 2500hd duramax with about 90k miles on it thats been used to pull a 7,000 pound trailer since the day it was new, with about 1,000 pounds worth of stuff in the bed, in tool boxes. You can unhook the trailer and it sits a good 2 inches higher in the back. Point is those springs haven't sagged at all but I have seen plenty OBS trucks with "worn out" or "sagging" springs. Ive also noticed that you can put say 1500 pounds of stuff in the back of a 1500 nbs and the rear doesn't drop much at all but with 1500 pounds in an obs, its usually squatting a noticeable amount.
    1995 K2500 six lug - 305 TBI "5.slow" - 2 inch BL - slight TB crank - 33-12.50 Maxxis Bighorns-3.73- 206K+ Miles
    1999 K1500 ECSB 350 Vortec NBS 16'S Daily Driver

I would put a 2" add a leaf in your current spring pack rough country makes a long ang short one for your truck the short one will give you a stiffer ride but either will revive your tired springs i have one of each in the rear of my two door tahoe long one right below top spring (long) and one above bottom overload spring (short) rough country sells them for $100 pair But..... i got mine (rough country brand) off e-bay for $52 set and they paid shipping which would have been $27 is that cheap enough you will need new u-bolt as yours will break will you try to take them off trust me

2nd Amendment Supporter mudbuddy's Avatar

I would spend the extra money for new springs and never reuse u-bolts, this is one of those jobs you don't want to take shortcuts on.

Its on like DONKEY KONG! Denverxxx17's Avatar

ALWAYS use new u bolts when you take a set off. The u bolts stretch when torqued down the first time, theyll never be as strong again. as for springs, if you want a cheap fix get helpers or bags.....

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    I would spend the extra money for new springs and never reuse u-bolts, this is one of those jobs you don't want to take shortcuts on.
    This

Well not sure if this is the right place for this, but I have a 93 K1500 with a broken spring and needing to get it either fixed or replaced. How hard of a job is it for a weekend mech to do with just hand tools? Should just replace the broke one or get a complete set to do both sides?Its a 4 leaf spring, and it is broken at the shackle. I have a vibration a different speeds kinda like a truck going thru a deep sand bed but when I let off the gas or step on it the vibration goes away so I think it may be caused by the broken spring.