If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Beadlocks- Why are they illegal?

This is a discussion on Beadlocks- Why are they illegal? within the Offroad forums, part of the General Discussion category; Why are beadlocks illegal?...

Beadlocks- Why are they illegal?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Why are beadlocks illegal?
    Tires, rims, and told my girlfriend it was an 8" PA bodylift and a Geo Metro... which runs on barely any gas, and shame... lots of shame.

The reason most beadlock wheels are illegal is because they do not meet DOT specifications. For a wheel to be DOT approved it MUST have a safety bead. The safety bead is what keeps the tire on the wheel when you get a flat... if you've ever watched a tire being mounted on a rim you will know this sound well... when the tire is inflated during the mounting process you hear a loud POP. This pop is the tire seating itself between the safety bead and the outer rim of the wheel. Because beadlock wheels normally do away with the safety bead they are not DOT approved, and if it's not DOT approved it is illegal for use on public roads.

Now if someone were less than 100% honest you could in theory BS your way out of a ticket. I won't promote or condone it (don't do it) but if you get pulled over you can LIE and tell the officer that your wheels in fact have the DOT mandated internal safety bead and that your external bead lock is simply there for additional safety and support required when running lower air pressures off-road.

Jeff @ PLC

salas poser
    Are hummer wheels DOT approved?
    95 gmc with no IFS...82 K30 stock for now
    http://community.webshots.com/user/95gmcd6014

How do 16.5 rims pass? they dont have a saftey bead.

Originally posted by 95gmcd6014
    Are hummer wheels DOT approved?
    They say they are DOT 50 state legal on the wheel.

Chad

Well to get into the technical end of things running a beadlock wheel is not actually illegal. The problem is that most cops that try to issue a citation for beadlocks simply do not know the law. I don't know if you've ever tried to explain vehicle code regulations to an officer but they don't like it when Joe Schmoe knows more about a vehicle code than they do. In the case of beadlocks, there really isn't anything that says they are illegal for street use. The reason for the confusion is a beadlock wheel is not DOT approved... however there is nothing that says to remain legal you must run a DOT approved wheel on public roads. The problem lies in the fact that someone, somewhere got it into the heads of law enforcement personnel that beadlocks were somehow illegal because they are not DOT approved.

The same can be said for aftermarket lighting. I run two very bright PIAA lights on my truck. These are NOT DOT approved and have 150w bulbs in them. I was pulled over by a CHP on a bright sunny afternoon one day for what he called a gross violation of vehicle code. I laughed when he told me that he was going to write me up for... driving a vehicle with my off-road lamps not covered. I then told him that California Vehicle Code (CVC) allows me to run two auxiliary lamps uncovered as long as they are mounted above the 16" and below the 42" limit. That's when he drew his gun and asked me to get out of the truck and place my hands on the hood.

To make a long story short... just because running a non-DOT approved beadlock or light on your vehicle is not technically illegal, local law enforcement might make your life living hell if you call them on it.

The law is your friend. Get a copy of your local vehicle code book and toss it on top of the "good read" pile in your favorite bathroom.

Jeff @ PLC

JB
    Originally posted by Jeff@PLC

The law is your friend. Get a copy of your local vehicle code book and toss it on top of the "good read" pile in your favorite bathroom.

Jeff @ PLC
    :LOL: :LOL: Man thats funny
    2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB LT1, 2" level kit, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic

Originally posted by Jeff@PLC
    That's when he drew his gun and asked me to get out of the truck and place my hands on the hood.
    Kidding right, its just that i wouldnt doubt if that did happen

Originally posted by ELEGALCHEV

Kidding right, its just that i wouldnt doubt if that did happen
    I hope you're kidding too... but, I've heard of it happening. Problem is that cops are just like anyone else... some good, some bad, some evil.

Atleast you didn't have a dog with ya...Tennessee's hard on pets at traffic stops! gp

1983 Chevy Suburban: 400/700r4/NP208/10bolt-14boltFF/10"superlift/3"body
    "I might not have my motor in but atleast I have a connected front driveshaft when I do!"

I am not kidding. I started telling him the vehicle code book states that... and the next thing I new he drew his gun to his side and asked me to get out of the truck and to place my hands on the hood. The story actually gets better - so there I am, in the middle of my home town with my hands on the hood of my truck being held at gun point. He calls for backup so that one CHiP (the little i stands for idiot I think) could watch me while he went through my truck. All he found was a small pocket knife and an old In-N-Out wrapper under the seat. For the next month everyone I came into contact with wanted to know why two cops had me at gun point - when I told them they wouldn't believe me.

Two weeks after this I was again pulled over by the same cop for having an obstructed front license plate. It was covered with mud from some romping earlier that afternoon. Upon further inspection of my truck he also deemed my windshield unsafe because it had a chip, the license plate lights were not illuminating the plate well enough because of mud stuck to them, and for not properly covering my tires.

That's why I say beware - cops do NOT like it when you know the law better than they do.

Jeff @ PLC

Man jeff thats some ****, if that stupid mother *****er did some **** like that to me id catch his @ss off duty and beat the sh!t out of him, ***** that... there is absoultely no reason for this @sshole to pull a gun on someone just they were corrected.

Originally posted by ELEGALCHEV
    Man jeff thats some ****, if that stupid mother *****er did some **** like that to me id catch his @ss off duty and beat the sh!t out of him, ***** that... there is absoultely no reason for this @sshole to pull a gun on someone just they were corrected.
    LoL, watch it now...the cops here are on duty 24/7....or so the city says....I hate all stupid...law breaking...people harassing cops...Ok I'm better now. but yeah...lol he'd just claim he was on duty and you assaulted an occifer .
    1984 S10 Durango 2wd 355/4spd/10b
    Frame off..9.5" lift..35s
    1972 C10 RCLB 350/400/12b :fsc:
    Frame off soon...9.5" lift..whatever will fit under it

Don't touch him. Find a friend on city council or see if you have a friend who is his superior. Do it right and ruin his day. That is the only way to deal with this situation and not do jail time. Get active in local politics. Know what I mean, Vern?

1983 Chevy Suburban: 400/700r4/NP208/10bolt-14boltFF/10"superlift/3"body
    "I might not have my motor in but atleast I have a connected front driveshaft when I do!"