GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Z71 vs 2WD spring rates & shocks

This is a discussion on Z71 vs 2WD spring rates & shocks within the Offroad 2WD forums, part of the Offroad category; So I have a 2wd '03 GMC Sierra EC SB and i dont want to make it either massively offroad ...

Z71 vs 2WD spring rates & shocks

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    So I have a 2wd '03 GMC Sierra EC SB and i dont want to make it either massively offroad nor super-low-street truck. However my buddy has a '00 Z71 Silverado and I noticed after crawling under it the shocks seem to be a bit heavier looking and also I believe the same with his leaf-springs... I also assume the spring rates on the front are higher for the z71, as when riding in his truck there's less body roll than mine. I was curious... does anyone have the actual statistics as to what the stock spring/leaf-spring rates are on 2wd and z71? What're the shock distance or differences in dampening from 2wd to z71? Are they compatible? I was thinking if they're a small difference tighter than my super-soft-stockers, I could just get some from a locally totaled z71 (i live in MS, tons of em available) or online and put them on my 2wd Sierra just to give it a little stiffer ride, but nothing to lose comfort over. Thanks for any information in advance, and please if you're going to give statistics don't make them up, thanks!

1 of 2 Mexicans on FSC

Re: Z71 vs 2WD spring rates & shocks

Ive got Z71 shocks on my 2wd and they are stiffer. Not sure on the leaf springs though. 2WD shocks are like 2in shorter than Z71 shocks. I know this because I put Z71 blocks and shocks on my 2wd and the stockers were too short.

Thanks for the input, so the front shocks will work? I'd assume they would since the z71 would have a lower-control-arm-based suspension setup just like my 2wd truck, but i can never be sure since this is my first time working on trucks as well as any experience with awd (4wd). What're blocks? You mean the bump stops, the big rubber things like in the rear next to the leaf springs that will stop the truck once the shocks have compressed too far?

Quote Originally Posted by blink182house
    What're blocks? You mean the bump stops, the big rubber things like in the rear next to the leaf springs that will stop the truck once the shocks have compressed too far?
    Blocks are blocks that go in between the leaf spring and axles on 4x4s and some 4x2s. I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow when my camera is charged if no one else has posted any up.

Jack

Ummm. I wasn't too sure about this yet, but anyways....How hard to put Z71 shocks (rear) on my 03 GMC Sierra ECSB 2WD?
    The future is no place to place your better days...
    2009 Chevrolet Silverado ECSB Z71/4WD-1LT

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman35
    Ummm. I wasn't too sure about this yet, but anyways....How hard to put Z71 shocks (rear) on my 03 GMC Sierra ECSB 2WD?

the rear shocks for sure are easy, just top and bottom bolts, i've climbed beneath both my ECSB 2wd Sierra and my buddies ECSB Z71 and compared... the z71 are a bit longer and beefier, but same mounts.

1 of 2 Mexicans on FSC

Rear shocks have same mounts, but I think the Z71s will be too long for a stock 2wd (w/o blocks). Front Z71 shocks wont work on a 2wd...they have a different lower mount. Rear shocks are EASY to swap, 15 minutes MAX.
    Last edited by 2005_Silverado; 10-03-2006 at 09:55 PM.

I am thinking about having rear Z71 shocks for my 03 Sierra which I just got it last friday, but how much for Z71 shocks from dealership?

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman35
    I am thinking about having rear Z71 shocks for my 03 Sierra which I just got it last friday, but how much for Z71 shocks from dealership?

lol call and ask man! i'd post a WTB on here first and search ebay and maybe even call some local repair shops cause one might've been totaled locally that you can scrounge off, just some suggestions to save some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by blink182house
    lol call and ask man! i'd post a WTB on here first and search ebay and maybe even call some local repair shops cause one might've been totaled locally that you can scrounge off, just some suggestions to save some cash.
    I'll ask the price for the shocks when I go to the dealership sometime next week since I have to pick up few stuff there and also I might check out the junkyard which it is very close to dealership.
    Last edited by SierraSLT; 10-05-2006 at 06:09 PM.

for the love of god man, do not pay those prices. at the very least, find a oem discounter on line

CAN SOMEONE CROP THIS PLEASE! THANKS