GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1994 Silverado 1500 - Prerunner??? Please HELP!

This is a discussion on 1994 Silverado 1500 - Prerunner??? Please HELP! within the Offroad 2WD forums, part of the Offroad category; So i have a 95 Silverado 2WD 5 speed manual V6 vortec ( possible engine swap- but what engine? ) ...

1995 Silverado 1500 - Prerunner??? Please HELP!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    So i have a 95 Silverado 2WD 5 speed manual V6 vortec ( possible engine swap- but what engine? )

I have been lookin around and at first i wanted a S10 or Toyota pickup and " prerunner " it out... But i have this truck ( bought from parents ) and i have a few questions i am unsure of...

- Where to get a LT kit for the front? Should i go with a custom one? I see that the JDFab is like $3.5k for the LT kit! The S10 and toyota is like $2k only... Why?
    - I want to go with coilovers... Kingz, but not sure exactly which ones... Someone add a link to some? not sure if i should go with the prerunner style coilover or the 2.5 resevior coilover?
    - Also i will want to go LT in the rear eventually
    - And all round roll cage it
    - Fit GG AT2 33' tires

Now with all that... Is the 1995 silverado a good truck to do this to? I only see like 2 companies making a LT kit for this year... Is this truck weak or something?

Or should i go with selling the silverado and getting a 98-99 or just get an S10?

Thanks SOOO much! And im not a complete noob to this stuff, so dont dumb it down for me please :)
    Last edited by DezertJunky; 09-04-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Off-Road Fabricator MullenFabworks's Avatar

Re: 1994 Silverado 1500 - Prerunner??? Please HELP!

Don't build an S10, they are garbage! The frames are even weaker than the fullsizes and they have TERRIBLE suspension geometry.

I'm not sure why JDs kit is more expensive, but the reason for the higher cost of my race Chevy kit versus my race Toyota kit (I happen to have kits for both 88-98 Chevys and 84-95 2wd Toyotas) is that the installation for the Chevy kits take much more time. The big deal with the OBS Chevys is the coil-bucket. When going to a coil-over set up with these trucks (there is no possible way you can have a decent LT kit running the stock coil bucket, no matter what anyone tells you. I've been building these trucks for 6 years and have tried damn near everything) you must cut out the entire coil-bucket, leaving a gaping hole to be filled in the frame. The coil-buckets alone take me a solid day to plate in, whereas with the Toyotas, I can have the entire kit on in one day. I'm not sure on FSC policy on posting prices, so PM me and we can talk more specifically about the cost differences between the two.

Don't worry about deciding on shock brand just yet. No matter which manufacturer you go with, you want at least a 2.5" reservoir coil-over. My kits run a 10" travel coil-over (the DD kit pulls 16" and the Race Kit pulls 21" with the same length shock).

The reason there are so few companies that make LT for these trucks is the installation. It takes professional level fabrication skills to install the kit, which let's face it, very few do-it-yourselfers possess. There are a couple of other reasons, but I won't go into them here. PM me and I'll fill you in.

As for the rear, the setup will depend on what you want to use the truck for. If you want to race, links are the only way. If you want to play, a set of Deavers with well valved shocks will handle great. A cage would be the first thing I would do (which I tell everyone, yet no one listens).

In summary...keep the 95 and build it! S10s are possibly the worst platform for a desert truck. Take it from a guy who has building trucks for 7 years while earning his degree in mechanical engineering :).

Re: 1994 Silverado 1500 - Prerunner??? Please HELP!

WOW. Thanks ALOT. Most info anyone has told me yet... AND i checked out your site... :o Lol im droolin over those trucks. I know FORSURE im going to you, haha it may be a 6 hour drive. but i think its well worth it!

I know ALL about toyotas pretty much, because i have friends and family that ive helped build their trucks up. Never really thought about making my Silvy a prerunner, i was set on a toyota. But hell, this silverado has been in my family for 16 years, 400k miles on the original engine NEVER rebuilt! So ima stick with chevy, but probably swap it out to a 350.

Also i learned recently what the difference about the coil-bucket thing on the chevy, so there is only two people ( as i mentioned in the other thread ) that make full on LT kits... and i will PM you about other info.

Oh and I might pursue my career in ME too :)

Thanks a BUNCH!