If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1989 ford f150 rough idle

This is a discussion on 1989 ford f150 rough idle within the Other Rides Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; My friends mom brought over there 89 f-150, because it was idling rough. It threw a EGR dtc code, after ...

Unhappy 1989 ford f150 rough idle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    My friends mom brought over there 89 f-150, because it was idling rough. It threw a EGR dtc code, after a days work I figured out that the stove pipe feeding the egr valve rotted threw causing the egr code. After fixing that issue the truck still runs rough. It idles fine then kicks down after a few moments and returns to running rough then comes out of it then returns to chugging again, it stays in this cycle until you give it some throttle. The plugs reaked of gas, but did not look to have been ran in a rich environment. The exhaust also smells rich. I now have no idea of where to start. Any help would be great.
    98 silverado 4wd 3.73gears,5.7l,headers,under drive pulleys,78mm ported and polished tb, k&n fipk,catback, zz4 cam, roller rockers, lt4 valve springs, 411 swap tuning by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Rebel View Post
    fsc demo derby time. Would've been a better disposal system than the Cash4Clunkers BS

Mine is Louder Than Yours leveldowen's Avatar

Re: 1989 ford f150 rough idle

Its not throwing any other codes? Almost seems like it could still be an egr problem.

Also, how is the distributor setup, particularly the vacuum advance if it has one. Sounds like it could have a vacuum leak somewhere causing it to run oddly.
    Daily Driver: 1978 Chevy C10 LWB 2WD, 383/350, 2" suspension lift, 31x10.5x15 BFG A/Ts. <<STOLEN
    <<STOLEN
    Capitalizing The First Letter Of Each Word In Your Post Makes You Look Like A Moron.

still pulling good vacum. Im going to look at it more tomorrow. Dont think it is vacum advance think it is electronic advance. going to check the cap and rotor, will look for vac leaks better.
    98 silverado 4wd 3.73gears,5.7l,headers,under drive pulleys,78mm ported and polished tb, k&n fipk,catback, zz4 cam, roller rockers, lt4 valve springs, 411 swap tuning by me.

fsc demo derby time. Would've been a better disposal system than the Cash4Clunkers BS

I was to busy pulling my hair out working on the friggen thing

Quote Originally Posted by haulinit View Post
    The plugs reaked of gas, but did not look to have been ran in a rich environment. The exhaust also smells rich. I now have no idea of where to start.
    I think you should also change the plugs. You had ran that Ford F150 with a bad egr system so that causes the plugs to overheat. Engine overheating and restricted exhaust systems can also cause this condition to your spark plugs. There are certain times when a single part affects and damages other Ford F150 parts. this may cause problems that would give you a lot of trouble when finding it.
    Last edited by geraldbaker; 06-17-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Tell her to scrap it and buy a CHEVY..lol
    IT'S ENOUGH TO DRIVE YA TO DRINK[IMG][/IMG]