GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Jeep Liberty overheating +code

This is a discussion on Jeep Liberty overheating +code within the Other Rides Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; My hand-me-down 2003 Jeep Liberty DD is crippled. ( 176,000 miles) I was driving and the dummy light came on. ...

Jeep Liberty overheating +code

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    My hand-me-down 2003 Jeep Liberty DD is crippled. ( 176,000 miles) I was driving and the dummy light came on. Then while continuing home the A/C quit blowing cold air. I still had power steering so I knew it wasn't a belt and I was about 4 miles from the house so I kept driving.

I got home and it spewed and boiled over, which is the first time anything like this has happened. I noted that while boiling over into the catch can that the plastic radiator corner had a hairline crack.

Here are my theories so far:

1)The plastic corner crack somehow made this happen, although the overflow is right next to it nad it goes to the catch can. The crack could be an incidental finding due to overpressure of the overheating event.

2) Electric fan went out completely.

3) Electric fan relay failed cancelling the fan to engage.

I haven't pulled the code yet but will update when I do. Everything still functions after it cools down and starts back up. No engine failure and the A/C works so it was a massive overheating event. I just need to find out why.
    Not only would CT destroy his soul with demeaning and hurtful words in concise sentences, he'd sick a goddamn badger on him, then post about it on FSC.
    My build thread here:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthr...til-complete**

Re: Jeep Liberty overheating +code

Usually the fan is commanded to run if the A/C clutch is engaged. How fast were you driving? Did you check to see if the fan was running after it cooled down and when the A/C was on?

That's good thinking Colby. I haven't run any tests yet, just gathering info. so far. I was driving the normal 65-70MPH nothing out of the ordinary set this off. When it happened I sprayed down the radiator, cooled it down and parked it with the hood open. Yesterday I started it and checked the engine and A/C that's all so far. The A/C system was replaced last year.

If I turn on the A/C do you think it's a guarantee that the fan should come on ? Makes sense to me that it would be a mandatory signal to engage when on. The code should provide more info, but it might be generic too like "cooling system failure" or some crap.

I was going to research on how to jumper the fan to test the motor in it. Nothing smelled burned or anything so that's a good sign so far.
    Last edited by Chop Top; 04-09-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Not only would CT destroy his soul with demeaning and hurtful words in concise sentences, he'd sick a goddamn badger on him, then post about it on FSC.
    My build thread here:

just the tip.

it will/should come on, if you're in traffic and no air is going across the condensor you will have no a/c- about every dodge ram 2002+ i've come in contact with needed the condensor fan motor replaced. not sure how similar the setups are but the rams had a completely seperate fan for it
    truckless

Well the loss of A/C first make me think it might be jsut a fan issue, but I was driving 70MPH. Plenty of cool air crossing through the radiatior but with no fan it still might have been enough to create the heat issue. The loss of A/C was directly related to the overheating of the vehicle. The question remains as to what exactly caused the overheating.
    My build thread here:

your fan assembly went out. it's a problem for the libertys. mine would cut on and off until it completely went out one day and left me on the side of the highway

possibly water pump?
    Last edited by DemoN; 04-09-2012 at 02:28 PM.

So the fan took a dump huh ? The A/C test should confirm that then when I get home.

What's the best/most efficient replacement method ? i.e.- Factory or aftermarket part, price, etc. ? It looked easy enough to pull.
    My build thread here:

Alright the code was useless "cooling system" Thanks Jeep/Chrysler.

I had my wife start the vehicle with the A/C in the off position while I watched the fan. It came on immediately when the engine cranked up. Other than the obvious low coolant level I cannot find anything wrong with this vehicle.

I haven't exactly checked the coolant level in quite some time and now it is obviously low from the event. I plan to fill it back up and drive it to see how it acts.

I hope I was just low on coolant, or like DemoN said the fan assembly is on the way out. If that's the case it sounds like it might act up, but when cooled down again works normal for a certain amount of time. Very difficult to diagnose at this point.
    My build thread here:

No luck yet on this deal. After an oil change, topping off the coolant and driving a couple more days experimenting with different tests the vehicle still overheats but only after driving about 15-18 miles. The fan works and the water is flowing in the radiator. There are no codes to speak of.

Differential diagnosis at this point =

1. The hairline crack in the plastic radiator top is losing too much presssure allowing the water boil over

2. Possible intermittment fan relay failure

3. Possible intermittent water pump shaft failure

Special thanks to the FSC thread police for moving this where it belongs yet unfortunately now have no help anymore.
    Last edited by Chop Top; 04-17-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    My build thread here:

What was the code number? Pxxxx

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

Fan control module could be bad causing the fan to run until it get's too hot itself.
    Last edited by SolMan98; 04-17-2012 at 01:34 PM.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

It never dropped a cooling code. It was an old EGR issue que'd in the diagnostics.

I wonder if the thermostat is stuck ? I can drive it for about 10 minutes and all of a sudden it instantly jumps to the halfway hot mark.
    Last edited by Chop Top; 04-17-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    My build thread here:

I'm going to go ahead and have the radiator and thermostat replaced and go from there. The hissing crack at the head of the plastic corner can't be helping the situation.
    Last edited by Chop Top; 04-19-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    My build thread here: