If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1994 chevy blazer quits when it gets hot?????

This is a discussion on 1994 chevy blazer quits when it gets hot????? within the Other Rides Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 94' chevy s10 blazer that quits when the outside temperature gets in the high 90's or 100's??? ...

1994 chevy blazer quits when it gets hot?????

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 94' chevy s10 blazer that quits when the outside temperature gets in the high 90's or 100's???
    The car temperature does not get hot at all, I will be driving down the road and it's like you just turn the key off, no sputtering or stumbling??? If you stop and open the hood and let it cool off some it will then start back up and run for a couple miles then it does it again. When the temperature is in the 70's and 80's it runs great.
    When it quits it still has spark, so I am guessing it's a fuel problem but I have no idea what it could be???
    Thanks for any info
    Last edited by B-T-S; 07-20-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Re: 1994 chevy blazer quits when it gets hot?????

does this happen when you're giving it throttle, or only when you slow down, coast, come to stop, etc.?

I was going to say ignition coil and module under distributor cap initially. Those pieces fail internally when they get hot, but you may be in the same boat as me, with other issues.
    My DD: 94 ecsb 350/4l60e z71 silvy, tons of accessories, 106K mi.
    Our Burner: 93 rcsb 4.3 vin Z/ 4l60e, stock, 180K mi.
    His Project: 77 C-10 custom step-side with fuel cell, lowered 4/6, roller; DD: 2000 F-650 24V Cummins/Allison.
    SALE: Freshly mach'd 30 over 305. 84 Bronco original. And More!

It quits if it's idling or at full throttle, it's just like you turn the key off!
    Sometimes it starts right back up and then you can go a few more miles before it quits it again, or it won't start and I open the hood, let it sit for 5 minutes and then it starts right up and then I can go a few more miles.
    It was around 95 degrees the other day and it quit on me 8 times in about 20 miles, I finally got to where I was going and let it sit for a half our and then It drove home the 20miles with out any problems???
    When it quits and wont start, it does have spark, if any of the parts that you listed are out, would it still have spark???
    Thanks for the help

Habitual Troublemaker cancritter's Avatar

if you just put headers on or fuel lines are to close to exaust gas will perculate giving you similar symptoms..something worth checkin
    [Stole/FOUND 13/03/08 :O)
    91GM 4x4 excb 5.7 @ 40 over, Westers,Eld 3704.Lunati Trickflow 195 @1.6 RR,Walpro 190/overbuilt 700r4 /TCS TC,4.10/tru trac,14 blt,Hooker LT,areofilter,Extreme TBI.MSD.AGR still adding
    07/ 6.7 Cummins..truck included
    70 fury 3
    71 sport fury GT

I'll check it, thanks for the advice.

If coil and ICM were out, you'd lose spark. I think cancritter's got it right.
    My DD: 94 ecsb 350/4l60e z71 silvy, tons of accessories, 106K mi.
    Our Burner: 93 rcsb 4.3 vin Z/ 4l60e, stock, 180K mi.
    His Project: 77 C-10 custom step-side with fuel cell, lowered 4/6, roller; DD: 2000 F-650 24V Cummins/Allison.
    SALE: Freshly mach'd 30 over 305. 84 Bronco original. And More!

if you haven't figured it out by now check that sending unit by the water thermostat housing.. My 88 drove me nuts doing that and I bought my 90 for a song because of the same issue. It;'s about 15 bucks to switch out that stupid sending unit. When it goes goofey it can send the signal it's boiling over when its just getting warm and after you let it sit a while it will run for a few more minutes until it warms up again and it will happen all over again but much faster since it's already warm. That stupid sensor will drive you nuts if you don't know about it and it won't flash a code of any sort at least in my cases using the paper clip aldl trick.

i saw what you did there fast68chevy's Avatar

the one next to the therm housing is the coolant temperature sensor CTS

ive never heard of nor seen a bad one cause the engine to completely and suddenly stall out the engine however

what does it do when the CTS is unplugged?

should run and be pretyt much fine without it plugged in, really.

not much difference in anything

except for if it had electric cooling fan it would be running non-stop with the CTS unplugged

which would be normal and is a good way to test for a bad fan motor or fan relay

if spark was disappearing totally when i would vote for dying ICM, in which is very common, especially on the old HEI systems, but not so much as on the TBI systems, but still can/will happen now and then

are the injectors injecting fuel when this problem occurs?

try another FP relay?

what about the ground wires black and tan and such at the thermostat hoising mounting bolt?

theres anywhere from 2 to 5 ground wires and they need to be clean dry and tight at the bolt

commonly they are corroded and/or broken or not evne connected to ground any more

do you have check engine code?

if the CEL is illuminated ever then check for any codes other than code 12
    and post them here, or just check for any either way

also i just remember we had a 92 S-10 with TBI 4.3L in it and it would randomly stall out not start up and it was killin us for weeks and i think months, and we tried everything including another FP and such, and i ended up figuring it out by accident i was screwing around messing with wires and such while it was sitting idling one day and i messed with the pink white wires from the ignition coil to the distributor and it stalled out!

yeah... was bad pink wire from coil to the dizzy

unplugged both ends of them and replaced them with new little harness that it is there and was like brand new for ever after that

wire was broken inside insulation randomly stalling

fooled us good for a long time

anbyways thats my ideas hope maybe it helps you or someone possibly?
    Last edited by fast68chevy; 09-25-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    text Randy @ 217 671 7792
    1993 C1500 pickup 162k 4L60E 3.08 w/1991 4.3L TBI w/ 260k+ '79 C-20 350/TH400 3.73 14FF '82 K-10 S/F, '72 Chevelle SS 454 -57 Bel Air gasser '68 Corvair Monza, '54 F350 '61 dodge mail step van! pics: parts photos

[QUOTE=fast68chevy;5788330]the one next to the therm housing is the coolant temperature sensor CTS

ive never heard of nor seen a bad one cause the engine to completely and suddenly stall out the engine however

Yup, me either. Thats EXACTLY why I posted this here where anyone else could find it on a search. Oh how that damned truck drove me nuts and I never had a clue (the 1988). I had cleaned up the nasty rusty sensor top and put some never seize on the post. That wasn't the thing to do the wrench told me that figured it out in short order. He said his computer picked it right up and all I had was the paperclip trick which showed just 12= nothing. The Never Seize got warm bled down and touched the block and shorted the sensor. When truck warmed up to about full temp it shut off. Wait a bit then I got another mile or so then full cut out again.
    Fast forward 3 years 2008 a guy had a 1990 2500 he couldn't pedal because of it not staying running. I picked it up ( and drove it till July 5 years) for $500. I could have sold it for scrap and made more than that at the time. It started and ran fine but 5 miles down the road shut right off like he said it would. I had another truck and towed it home where it started right up till it warmed up then off again. I replaced that damned sensor and never had another starting issue again just like the old 88. In this case the sensor was shorted internally i guess. Weird eh? That's why I say just change out the foolish thing if it's old just in case because when it decided to crap out you gonna stop pronto................