***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

5.7 Vortec performance mods?

This is a discussion on 5.7 Vortec performance mods? within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; truck is a '96 Z71 with 3" bodylift and 33" tires and 3.42 gears. soon to have sfa and 35-37ish ...

5.7 Vortec performance mods?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    truck is a '96 Z71 with 3" bodylift and 33" tires and 3.42 gears. soon to have sfa and 35-37ish tires, and most likely 4.56 gears.
    engine is completely stock. has factory true duals with 2 flowmaster 40's.
    we're looking at getting some more umph outta this thing.
    gas mileage is also a big factor, so, anything that will help with that is a plus.

these engines have a roller cam right? how good performance wise is the cam? are there any decent replacement cams for it? what about the rockers and valve springs?

what kinda headers do these engines like? Doug Thorleys? i think we're gonna do headers and new 2.25" or 2.5" pipes with new magnaflow cats and maybe an X-pipe before the flows.

are there any decent performance chips for this engine that are worth the $$$???

what about electronic ignition? worth the $$$?

electric fans?

is there a better throttle body?

any advise/info is appreciated..... thanks
    -chris

meh, nevermind, i think i got some questions answered except...

intake... Volant or UPD???

which programmer? HPP3? Superchips? any other?

does the Throttle body spacer really do anything on the vortecs?? i'd think it might help with the TBI motors to help the fuel/air mix better while it's traveling through the intake, but on the vortec, it doesnt mix until right before the cylinder....
    1991 K5 Blazer w/ 38" SSR's
    2010 GMC Sierra Z71

Either air intake is a nice addition...both are worth it.

Handheld tuners are NOT worth the $$$ in my opinion. I'd look into a custom tuned PCM by Wester's for example. Occasional GP's occur and these are much better tunes giving much more power than any handheld for roughly the same price. Do a search for Wester's ( or Westers) and you'll get more info.

A tb spacer gives minimal increases...some say it's worth it some say it's useless....mine did nothing but whistle.

Headers would be a good compliment to your truck. Thorley's, Gibsons, JBA, are all good choices.

Cameron
    / 2003 Tahoe LT / 22" Boss 330 / Heinz 57 3"-5" drop / Pioneer / US Speedo / De-badged / E-fans / BlackBear91 / Corsa Sport / "Big 3" /

My 03 Tahoe Build Thread

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynacism
    by those who don't have it.
    " - George Bernard Shaw

I really like the volant that I put on my truck.....same engine as yours. Also, ignore comments about the Volant, unless they have the same engine as your truck. The 5.3s and other Vortecs have a different design.

97 C1500 Ext. Cab 5.7L, MSD 6A and Blaster Coil using Super Conductor wires, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Volant Intake. Amsoil 5w-30 synthetic oil, and Wester's 93 Hot Tune.

Just though you might want to know that there is already a 4+ page long thread over 5.7L Vortec mods on this forum. Here's a link: Performance for a 97 V8 C1500

97 C1500 Ext. Cab 5.7L, MSD 6A and Blaster Coil using Super Conductor wires, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Volant Intake. Amsoil 5w-30 synthetic oil, and Wester's 93 Hot Tune.

Shrt Rnd Lw 2 D Ground
    unless you have a 98 and up 5.7 I'd get the volant intake. my brother has the UPD for his 96 (will be the same as yours) and it's just a tube. at least the volant is a complete new intake set up.

My bother also switched from the hypertech to the Wester's, no comparison. Wester's destroys the hypertech
    00 Silverado Z71 LT EXT Wester's 93, Dynomax, Poweraid, K&N, LS1 fans, Corvette Servo, Trans-go
    96 Yukon 4 x 4, 4dr, SLT Wester's 93, UPD, MSD, Magnaflow, Casper's, LT1 fans, Corvette Servo, Trans-go **S O L D**

This Bad Burb is BOOSTED! 1 BAD BURB's Avatar
    the thorley headers are really nice!!! i have it on my 5.7 as well, with 2 40 flows... i tell u, u think the exhaust is loud, wait till u get the thorleys on!!! its DEEPER!!! get 2.5" piping all the way!

as for the other stuff, go with Wester's tuning! Spacer is a waste, and Volant is great too!
    1996 Burban: workhorse
    1998 C5 Vette: 9sec toy
    2007 MB E63 AMG: daily
    2005 Infiniti FX35: wifey daily
    2005 Maserati GranSport: wifey toy
    2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000: 9sec toy

formerly rcfast
    Originally posted by augiedog77
    unless you have a 98 and up 5.7 I'd get the volant intake. my brother has the UPD for his 96 (will be the same as yours) and it's just a tube. at least the volant is a complete new intake set up.

My bother also switched from the hypertech to the Wester's, no comparison. Wester's destroys the hypertech
    wouldn't it be 96 and up 5.7 i didn't think there where any differences??

I think 96-99 OBS trucks use the same Volant intake for the 5.7Ls.

Shrt Rnd Lw 2 D Ground
    the volant is the same intake for 96-99 because it replaces everything from the base to the throttlebody. the UPD on the other hand is just a tube from the maf to the throttlebody for 96 - 97. 98 - 99 has a different airbox base (smaller, not the fullsize lid) and the upd replaces the upper part of the box to the maf and then the tube from the maf to the throttlebody
    00 Silverado Z71 LT EXT Wester's 93, Dynomax, Poweraid, K&N, LS1 fans, Corvette Servo, Trans-go
    96 Yukon 4 x 4, 4dr, SLT Wester's 93, UPD, MSD, Magnaflow, Casper's, LT1 fans, Corvette Servo, Trans-go **S O L D**