GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Tuning Up the 5.3... NEED HELP!!!!

This is a discussion on Tuning Up the 5.3... NEED HELP!!!! within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I just bought a 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3L Z71 about 3 months ago. It needs a major tune up. I ...

Tuning Up the 5.3... NEED HELP!!!!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I just bought a 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3L Z71 about 3 months ago. It needs a major tune up. I know some stuff about my 5.7L but NOTHIN' about my 5.3L. What all do i need to buy to do a complete tuneup? I know about the spark plugs, air filter, but what else. I will be goin to advance auto or auto zone for my supplies. I want good quality, but nothing extremely expensive. What do i need fellas???? By the way, i had my BFG All-terrains put on tonight and they are AWESOME! I just got the 285s. HELP!!!!!!!!!
    2006 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 Crew Cab

Dizzy B
    How many miles? I would do a fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently. Change trans and differential fluids depending on mileage and condition of said fluids. Maybe run a can of Sea Foam or GM Top engine cleaner through it. Flush the cooling system, Change the PCV, Check the serpentine belts and tensioner, Radiator hoses. How much you wanna spend?
    96 Ext Cab Indigo blue 5.7 auto w/SS bumper cover, dual cowl hood, DJM 4/6, debadged and color matched, cleared up front end

Resident Skull dragger. SBC ZILLA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nomaster96
    How many miles? I would do a fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently. Change trans and differential fluids depending on mileage and condition of said fluids. Maybe run a can of Sea Foam or GM Top engine cleaner through it. Flush the cooling system, Change the PCV, Check the serpentine belts and tensioner, Radiator hoses. How much you wanna spend?
    Yeah, do what DIzzy B, uh, I mean NOmaster said. AC Delco stuff will be fine.

Get the Bong off the coffee table, Im heading out there for 3 weeks in October.
    Draggin skulls since 96'

Get a good set of spark plug wires. Taylor or msd. Taylors ran me $55 bucks. The stockers would have cost me about 75!!!!.

truck probably needs to be recalibrated for the 285's,does help some.how many miles?
    CHEVY TECH PART TIME
    REDNECK FULL TIME
    99z-71 5.3 4.10 ...

91,000 miles as of today. So i Need spark plugs, new wires, fuel filter, & Air filter? What about rotor button, PCV Valve,or distr. cap? Anything else?
    2006 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 Crew Cab

There is no distributor on your truck.

ocean minded
    plugs, wires (maybe), ATF & filter , engine oil & filter, change differential fluid, PVC (must), maybe do a custom intake?! they're cheap!
    03 5.3 excab 2wd

Here is the maint. schedule for NBS from GM:
    (your owners manual has this info, if you don't have a manual can be downloaded for free from https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/home )

Drive Axle Service
    Change rear axle fluid
    Interval: Every 7500 miles.

Rear/ Front Axle Fluid Level Inspection
    Inspect rear/front axle fluid level

Passenger Compartment Air Filter Replacement
    Change passenger compartment air filter
    Interval: Every 15000 miles under dusty conditions

Automatic Transmission Fluid Replacement
    Change automatic transmission fluid and filter
    Interval: Every 25000 miles if the vehicle is driven under one or more of these severe conditions 1)In heavy city traffic 2)Where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90F or (32C) or higher 3)In hilly or mountainous terrain 4)uses such as police, commercial 5)frequent trailer pulling. If you do not use your vehicle under any of these conditions, change fluid and filter every 50000 miles

Tire Rotation
    Check tires for uneven wear or damage. If irregular or premature wear is apparent, check wheel alignment

Engine Oil and Filter Change
    Change engine oil and filter
    Interval: As indicated by Engine Oil Life Monitor or every 10000 miles or 12 months whichever occurs first. In dusty conditions, change every 3000 miles or sooner

Cooling System Service
    Drain, flush and refill system with new coolant
    Interval: Every 150000 miles or every 60 months whichever occurs first.

Automatic Transfer Case Fluid Change
    For vehicles equipped with automatic transfer case, change fluid
    Interval: Every 50000 miles only if the vehicle is driven under the following conditions: 1) In city traffic where the outside temperature is 90 F (32 C) or higher. 2) hilly or mountainous terrain. 3) frequent trailer towing. 4) uses such as found in taxi, police car or delivery service. If you do not use your vehicle under any of these conditions, change the fluid and filter at 100000 miles.

Evaporative Emission Control System Inspection
    Inspect evaporative control system
    Interval: Every 60000 miles.

Fuel Filter Replacement
    Change fuel filter
    Interval: Every 30000 miles.

Engine Accessory Drive Belt Inspection
    Inspect engine accessory drive belt
    Interval: Every 60000 miles.

Spark Plug Replacement
    Change spark plug
    Interval: Every 100000 miles.

PCV Valve Inspection
    Inspect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV)
    Interval: Every 100000 miles except for 8.1L V8 engine

Spark Plug Wires Inspection
    Inspect spark plug wires
    Interval: Every 100000 miles.

Manual Transmission Fluid Replacement
    Replace five speed manual transmission fluid
    Interval: "Every 150000 miles with 4300 V6 or4800 V8 engines only"

Replace five speed manual transmission fluid
    Interval: Every 200000 miles with 6000 V8 engines only

Interval: Every 200000 miles for vehicles with 6000 V8 engines only.

Annual Checkup:
    Lubricate the key lock cylinders with the lubricant.
    Lubricate all hood hinges, hood latch assembly, secondary latch, pivots, spring anchor, release pawl, door hinges, rear compartment, glove box door, console door and any folding seat hardware. More frequent lubrication may be required when exposed to a corrosive environment.

Semi-annual checkup:
    Inspect the front and rear suspension and steering system for damaged, loose, or missing parts, signs of wear, or lack of lubrication.
    Inspect the power steering lines and hoses for proper hookup, binding, leaks, cracks, chafing, etc.
    Clean and then inspect the drive axle boot seals for damage, tears, or leakage. Replace seals if necessary.
    Inspect the complete exhaust system. Inspect the body near the exhaust system. Look for broken, damaged, missing, or out-of-position parts as well as open seams, holes, loose connections, or other conditions which could cause a heat buildup in the floor pan or could let exhaust fumes into the vehicle.
    Inspect the hoses and have them replaced if they are cracked, swollen, or deteriorated. Inspect all pipes, fittings, and clamps; replace as needed.
    Clean the outside of the radiator and air conditioning condenser. To help ensure proper operation, a pressure test of the cooling system and pressure cap is recommended at least once a year.
    Inspect the throttle system for interference or binding, and for damaged or missing parts. Replace parts as needed. Replace any components that have high effort or excessive wear. Do not lubricate accelerator or cruise control cables.
    Inspect brake lines and hoses for proper hookup, binding, leaks, cracks, chafing, etc. Inspect disc brake pads for wear and rotors for surface condition. Inspect other brake parts, including calipers, parking brake, etc. Check parking brake adjustment. You may need to have your brakes inspected more often if your driving habits or conditions result in frequent braking.

At each fill:
    Check the engine oil level and add the proper oil if necessary.
    Check the engine coolant level and add DEX-COOLŪ coolant mixture if necessary.
    Check the windshield washer fluid level in the windshield washer tank and add the proper fluid if necessary.

Monthly:

Make sure the safety belt reminders light and all your belts, buckles, latch plates, retractors, and anchorages are working properly.
    Look for any other loose or damaged safety belt system parts. If you see anything that might keep a safety belt system from doing its job, have it repaired. Have any torn or frayed safety belts replaced.
    Look for any opened or broken air bag coverings, and have them repaired or replaced.
    Inspect wiper blades for wear or cracking. Replace blade inserts that appear worn or damaged or that streak or miss areas of the windshield.
    Silicone grease on weatherstrips will make them last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak. Apply silicone grease with a clean cloth. During very cold, damp weather, more frequent application may be required.
    Check the transaxle fluid level; add if needed.

2001 RCLB Silverado 4x4 4.8L - Dynomax cat back - K&N FIPK

Re: Tuning Up the 5.3... NEED HELP!!!!

I love how they say every 200 000 miles for manual tranny fluid

JB

Re: Tuning Up the 5.3... NEED HELP!!!!

make sure you put a dab of anti-sieze on the plug threads and DONOT overtighten...you have aluminum heads
    2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB LT1, 2" level kit, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic