***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LS6 cam in a LQ4

This is a discussion on LS6 cam in a LQ4 within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; what about the gm hot cam, what are its specs and how would it do in our truck engines...

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    what about the gm hot cam, what are its specs and how would it do in our truck engines

RedHawk:

I will look into verifing the LQ4 / LQ9 cam part number...as I said before I thought that they were the same.
    Regarding the cam doctor, all I need is an LQ4 and I can take it to Chet Herberts's cams (30 mins from my house) and have him doc the specs. He has all the equip and does most my custom cam grinds.
    As far as the cam coming out is concerened, it will clear without moving the radiator or discharging the A/C

Full Floater:

I have heard that the small base circle was an issue but that longer pushrods didn't effect the geometry enough to be a concern.

Richard
    2001 Silverado 5.3L SBSC 2WD
    Current Mods:
    *Flex-e-Lite 250 Electric Fans *Custom 4" Intake and Blitz filter
    *NOS 130 HP dry nitrous system *ASM Full-length Headers w/ Dual Cutouts
    *ASP Pullies*Vig 3500 *TransGo *LS1Edit *Hal shocks *Caltrac bars
    *Hotchkis Rear Swaybar*TA girdle*US Gear 4.10:1*Detroit Locker
    [b][i]
    [/size][/color]

FWIW, here's a couple links that may be of interest to everyone:

Corvette LS6
    Corvette LS1

All this info came directly from the Gen III V8 engineers. Hopefully it will help disspell some myths and rumors that are out floating around. No info on PN's, but has some key camshaft (and other parts as well) specs. RedHawk, I do stand firm on my '01 LS6 cam specs provided (intake: 204* duration @.050" lift), and I believe it is also mentioned somewhere in the LS6 link listed above. I'm not in any way trying to start an argument over this, so please don't accept this as an attack of any sort. I respect what you say, and BIG RED II speaks for itself!

oxidizr and RedHawk, I truly appreciate all your replies and information based on your knowledge and experiences up to this point. Thanx again.

It might be a while before I try the LS6 cam in my 6.0 (too many other priorities are taking precedence at this time). Maybe in a month or so. It's nice to know the radiator and condensor don't have to be moved/removed to R&R the cam.

I have heard that the small base circle was an issue but that longer pushrods didn't effect the geometry enough to be a concern.
    Agreed. With only a .050" increase in lift with the ZO6 cam over the LS1/LQ4/LQ9 cams (attained by a .059" DECREASE in base circle diameter, w/factory 1.7 ratio rockers), it will have very little effect on the geometry (with about, let's see... .0295" longer pushrods to make up the "lost" lift).

I hope the math (and myself) makes sense. It's gettin' kinda late...

Richard, You were right and thanks for the info. I have been looking for a while now.

Full Floater, My ls6 cam specs came from www.paceparts.com and other online souces. It would also be nice to verify this info correctly. No attack taken at all. After having a record setting 99LS1 Firehawk and posting on ls1.com for three years (being in flame wars every day from doubters) ,,I know an attack when I see one..:) :) This is just sharing info, the way it should be. Thanks!

Here is the info from Jim pace:
    This camshaft is original equipment in LS6 Vortec engines. It features .525" intake and exhaust lift. 217 degree exhaust duration at .050", 207 degree intake duration at .050", and 116 degree lobe bolts.
    Price: $ 204.70

Now that I know the stock lift is near .500 and the duration is at .198 and if the ls6 is only .204deg. intake.. I may go with a custom grind. Little more lift and a little more SPLIT duration.. I want the split for the nitrous.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2001 Chevy crew cab 4x4, 6 litre
    See mods and track times below

BigRedIIhomepage

5.0 mustang kill vid

Well, not to add more confusion to this mess, but I just got some '01-'02 LS1/LQ4/LQ9 cam data from a pretty darn official source: 196/208, .468/.480, LSA 116. A little less lift than what I've been seeing around. It'll be interesting to see what Richard actually comes up with.

Admittedly, It's pretty easy to get these numbers crossed up as they're handed down from person to person (and even then, It's only as good as the source), which is most likely why there is so much controversy over all these cam figures. I won't argue over trivial cam spec #'s with you guys, but I just thought I would share this bit of info with you. The numbers listed above here I checked, checked, and rechecked to verify authenticity (those lift #'s were hard to believe - a misprint?).

This is getting real good now.. Those look like the lift numbers I had.. Those are the new 02 Camaro lift,lsa and duration numbers and I also heard that is what is in the 6 litre.. See why I have been waiting.. :)

I have new tires and ready to run a better time than the 13.51 but I want to add more N/A power first..That is before uping the 125 shot to a 150 shot.. Trying to find good cam specs has been hard for me.. I have looked, posted , researched and made phone calls but still inconclusive.

Lets put our heads together and get this figured out.. I am still leaning towards the ls6 cam,,,,Just because its cheap and easy to install. It sure not going to hurt me but may just not help as much as I think..
    2001 Chevy crew cab 4x4, 6 litre
    See mods and track times below

BigRedIIhomepage

5.0 mustang kill vid

Yea, those LS1/LQ4/LQ9 numbers I posted make that LS6 cam a little more attractive.

I did some more digging today and discovered that GM has had 5 different camshafts that they used in the LS1 from '97-'01.

'97-'01 LS1 production camshafts:

PN 12560964: '99 Y-car
    PN 12560965: '97-'00 F-car
    PN 12560967: '01 F-car (also all '00 LR4/4.8L, LM7/5.3L, LQ4/6.0L)
    PN 12560968: '00 Y-car
    PN 12561721: '01 Y-car (also all '01 LQ4/LQ9 6.0L)

The last one (#12561721) has been the one I've been referring to throughout this thread. I'm not sure of what the differences are with all the other ones.

Then there is the LS6 camshafts:

PN 12560950: '01 Y-car (the one I'm considering for my truck)
    PN (haven't got yet): '02 Y-car (405 hp ZO6)

And here's some numbers that should spark some interest. The LS6/ZO6 specs are as follows: 204/218, .552/.548, LSA 117.5

Richard: If and when you go to verify (cam doctor) the specs on "the LS1 cam"(and LQ4/LQ9), be sure it has "1721" on the end. Thanx.

Gentleman, place your bets.:)

2002 LS6
    204/218 .551/.547 CL:120/115 LSA:117.5 Base Circle: 19.0mm (-0.0276")

Here are the specs I have on the 02 Zo6.. Just need to find out what push rods we would need for the smaller diameter shaft. I would rather have the 02 with more lift and plus its about 25 bucks less from paceparts , than the o1 zo6.

BTW, from the part numbers you have above, you are showing two different cam posibilities for the LQ4 in 2001? That is strange.

Brooke

The production base circle numbers that are talked about everywhere ('02 LS6/ZO6: 19.0mm, '01 LS6: 19.3mm, all other GEN III V8: 19.7mm) are the radius (or half diameter) of the BC on the lobe. If you replace a non LS6 cam with a LS6/ZO6 cam, your valve lifter will sit .7mm lower in it's bore when on the BC. To make up for this "loss"(and keep your pushrod seat/plunger in the hydraulic lifter at an optimum level) you could install the hollow sodium filled .6 mm longer ZO6 valves (expensive, lotsa work) or get some .7mm longer custom pushrods to take up this "excess lash". You could probably get away with using the stock pushrods, but the pushrod seat (in the lifter) will be awefully close to the snapring in the lifter (it would be near the top of the range of preload adjustment). FWIW, if the pushrod seat for whatever reason contacts the snap ring while the engine is running, not only will it be noisy, in time it will pound its way out, and the lifter will fall apart. Valvetrain geometry is another factor, but since the lift increase in this case is so relatively small (about .050"), it's not really a concern (right, Richard?):)

As far as the LQ4 PN's:

#12560967: all '99-'00
    #12561721: all '01 (not sure about '02-pretty certain it's the same)

I think my previous post was misinterpreted (sorry). All the engines I had in parenthesis were for that given year. My main focus there was to show all the LS1 cams and what year/models each variation was in.

Mike

Look at what SDPC sent me- check these babies out:
    http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...art&catid=1791

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12