If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LS6 cam in a LQ4

This is a discussion on LS6 cam in a LQ4 within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have an '01 HD2500 6.0L that I use as my daily driver and to tow a 9,000# enclosed trailer ...

Question LS6 cam in a LQ4

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have an '01 HD2500 6.0L that I use as my daily driver and to tow a 9,000# enclosed trailer on occasion. I am in the process of doing the intake mods (UPD intake, bored/ported TB, descreened MAF, etc.) and will soon be purchasing the Hypertech programmer (and maybe a UD pulley). I would like to get a little more top end power out of it, without sacrificing low end torque and all around driveability. The LS6 cam looks like it can do the job. Anybody done this or knows someone who has? What can I expect?

Finally lifted!
    I'd be interested in your results of the intake mods!

I have been considering the UPD but haven't heard too much about your other mods.
    '09 GMC Crew Cab 4x4 NEW! Stock for now

'01 1500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Rancho lift,315s - SOLD

Offroadr, UPD has a group purchase going on right now. You can save $50.00 if you order by 4/19. This is a great bang for the buck! I've heard a solid 2/10 gain in the 1/4 mile (on a 6.0L, definate seat of pants improvement), and it sounds real tough! The other "free" mods individually (on a stock engine) don't amount to much. But every little bit helps. The throttle body was bored out on a lathe to remove the cirumferential ridge in front of the throttle blade, and hand blended with a die grinder and small sanding drum. I also thinned the throttle shaft (probably overkill) and ground the throttle stop to attain 100% WOT. All the parts (TB, MAF) are spare parts that I modded and haven't been installed yet, so my truck isn't tied up, and I can revert it to stock if need be. Will keep you posted with results.

Joe
    A few have put the LS6 cam into 5.3 and 6.0s at LS1.com (truck forum).
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

Finally lifted!
    Thanks Full Floater! Ordered it today.
    '09 GMC Crew Cab 4x4 NEW! Stock for now

'01 1500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Rancho lift,315s - SOLD

If you are planning on towing I would NOT recommend the LS6 cam. This cam will shift your powerband almost 1200 rpm higher. Peak numbers are great but you are gonna hate the TQ loss below 3500. I have personally installed 2 LS6 cams in trucks (5.3L) and have felt the loss first hand. If you plan to tow the trade off is not in your favor...if you plan to race, do it and buy a good converter. The LS6 cam needs to be spun to 6000-6100 rpm to make its peak numbers in the 5.3L.

Richard
    2001 Silverado 5.3L SBSC 2WD
    Current Mods:
    *Flex-e-Lite 250 Electric Fans *Custom 4" Intake and Blitz filter
    *NOS 130 HP dry nitrous system *ASM Full-length Headers w/ Dual Cutouts
    *ASP Pullies*Vig 3500 *TransGo *LS1Edit *Hal shocks *Caltrac bars
    *Hotchkis Rear Swaybar*TA girdle*US Gear 4.10:1*Detroit Locker
    [b][i]
    [/size][/color]

Anybody got any dyno #'s for the ls6 cam in our trucks?
    2000 GMC Sierra 5.3 scsb
    K&N fipk, holley flowtech, hpp3, asp pulley, 2" rear shackles

Thanks for the input, guys. Most of the LS6 cam swaps i've found have been on the 5.3L engines. The difference between the LS1/LQ4 and the LS6 ('01 version) cams didn't really seem like all that much. Does the LS6 cam raise the tq/hp curve enough to require a high stall converter (even in a 6.0L)? Has anyone actually done this swap in a HD2500 4x4 (RedHawk)? Only approximately 5% of my total driving is done with my car hauler (with the REAL racer in it) and the rest of the time (other 95%) i'm out terrorizing the streets. I could afford a small decrease in low end torque for a bigger gain in top end power.

The temptation is killing me!

I plan to put the ls6 cam into my 4x4 6 litre but just haven`t yet.. Our heads are better than the 5.3 litres and we have about 37 more cubic inches..So you can,t compare how the two motors will work with this cam... I personally think this will be a damn near perfect cam for the 6 litre..We should see more RWHP gains than the 5.3`s.. The extra cubes will absorb the added duration and should not hurt the low end torque that much. torque and HP will increase and you will lose some low end torque but mid range and upper will go way up..

I am expecting my power curve to move up about 700ish rpm and that will still be great for towing and hauling butt. Just an educated guess though and I don`t know of any other 6 litres with this cam.. I have 4.10`s gears wich will also help the low end. Our long 2.48 first gear is a concern though, even with 4.10`s but I still think it will be ok.. I really think this is damn near the perfect cam for a 6.0.
    2001 Chevy crew cab 4x4, 6 litre
    See mods and track times below

BigRedIIhomepage

5.0 mustang kill vid

Thanks for the reply, RedHawk. Kinda what I was thinking also. I assume you're also referring to the '01 LS6 cam, and not the hotter '02 LS6/ZO6 version?

RedHawk:
    All my experience with the LS6 cam has been on the 5.3L motor but the 5.3L has the most to gain from the LS6 cam. Have you compared the 6.0L cam numers to those of the LS6? I'm not so sure the benefits are goning to be as large as you might think.

2001-2002 LS1/LQ9 cam
    separation 115.5 deg
    lift (exh/int) .500/.500"
    duration @ .050"(exh/int) 198/208

2001 LS6 Camshaft
    separation 116 deg
    lift (exh/inl) .525/.525"
    duration @ .050"(exh/inl) 207/217

2000-2001 LM7 Cam
    separation 114 deg
    lift (exh/inl) .466/.457"
    duration @ .050"(exh/inl) 193/194

Should you put a LS6 cam in the 5.3L you are picking up 13.6% more gross lift and 7.2% more duration @ .050" on the intake side and 14.8% more gross lift and 11.8% more duration @ .050" on the exhaust.

Should you put a LS6 cam in the 6.0L you are picking up 5% more gross lift and 4.5% more duration @ .050" on the intake side and 5% more gross lift and 4.3% more duration @ .050" on the exhaust.

Comparing these values I find it hard to see how this will make more power in a 6.0 than in a 5.3L. The gains will be far less proprortionately as the upgrade is very small. I do think the change will make for a more drivable condition (not that a ls6 cam in a 5.3L isn't) but the larger cubes will absorb some of the low speed/idle character of the LS6 cam a little better. I just think the wider lobe sep combined with the greater duration will push to power band too high for a tow vehicle especially if your contemplating a higher stall converter. Tow vehicles like flat torque curves and low stall lock-up...9000# trailers just don't seem to be appropriate for a 6000+reving peak powerband.

Just my thoughts, but like I said earlier I have not completed a 6.0 / LS6cam install myself so this is just educated speculation, I could be wrong...

Richard
    Current Mods:
    [b][i]
    [/size][/color]

Richard,

Thanks for those very generous numbers and calculations but Full floater and I have LQ4 motors(300 hp-360 torque at 4400rpm) ..As I understand it , the Escalade is the only 6 litre with a LQ9.. Now, if the LQ4 has the same cam, wich I have found no proof of that yet, you will have a very interesting point.. This is one of the reasons, I have held off on the cam install..NO solid stock cam numbers yet..the ones I got from the GM sight came from Neil and Darren.. I saw the specs on the sight..

The last cam specs I could find on the 2001 6 litre truck motor are very close to the LM7 . I don`t have them handy but they came from the GM engine spec sight.. I would have to search for them, to be exact .. This is just by memory but they were something like 116 lsa, .488 int./.488 exh. and .184 int/.189 exh. Those are the numbers I have based my info on.. I guess for as cheap as this cam is, I will be willing to take a chance..

Just for another comparison...Larry, just put the ls6 cam in his 5.7 litre Ls1 98 camaro and picked up a solid two tenths and I think close to 20 RWHP.. The camaro cam specs are about the same as the LQ9 specs you quoted. That is only 346 CID and ther 6 litre still has 18 CID more on that motor.. I guess it all hangs on what are the real specs and who wants to be the guinea pig :)?

BigRedIIhomepage

5.0 mustang kill vid

As I understand it , the Escalade is the only 6 litre with a LQ9.. Now, if the LQ4 has the same cam, wich I have found no proof of that yet, you will have a very interesting point.. This is one of the reasons, I have held off on the cam install..NO solid stock cam numbers yet..the ones I got from the GM sight came from Neil and Darren.. I saw the specs on the sight..
    Aahhh... I guess I'm gonna have to take stock LQ4 cam over to Chet's and toss it on the ol' doctor to get some numbers. I didn't know that the LQ4s and 9s didn't share cams. Looks like another project. Does anyone know the GM P/Ns for the LQ4 and LQ9 cams?

Richard
    Current Mods:
    [b][i]
    [/size][/color]

Richard,

I think I can get the part number for the 6 litre LQ4 cam but not the LQ9 cam.. Do you have a stock LQ4 cam laying around you can cam doctor? Several of us have been trying to get these numbers verified for a while now.

I guess I'm gonna have to take stock LQ4 cam over to Chet's and toss it on the ol' doctor to get some numbers.
    What did yoy have in mind on this? Do you have a stock cam?

BigRedIIhomepage

5.0 mustang kill vid

i know this isnt exactly on subject but it sounds like all of you know what your talking about. I have been wondering if i should swap my cam out for the ZO6. Do you know if this cam or any other cam produces any more power that i could feel? I have a 2000 5.3.
    2001 Silverado Z71 Single Cab Stepside. 5.3. Completely stock.

The Zo6 cam is the LS6 cam.. Thats one this whole thread is about.

Oxidizer, posted his experience with the two 5.3 litre z06 cam installs above. Picked up 20 RWHP and lost a lot of low end torque.. That cam may still be a little large for your motor , without a conveter and custom shift points.. I think the 2002 camaro cam might be something to consider.. You can get those used for about nothing and still use your stock springs. The specs are about the same as the LQ9 cam listed above..

BigRedIIhomepage

5.0 mustang kill vid

I just got off the phone from a friend in parts dept. at the Cadillac dealer from where I used to work. The LQ4 and LQ9 use the same camshaft (PN 12561721). It appears the only difference mechanically between the two engines is the Caddy has .6 more CR (9.4:1 vs 10:1) and a different throttle body (Escalator uses FBW).

I guess then, I would ask Richard where and how he got the specs ? Just to verify the LQ9 numbers.

If the specs are correct, than the Ls6 cam won`t make as big a difference, as Richard said. Still would be a nice change but not if you have to pay a lot for the install. I would do the install myself but a lot of shops charge 350 -400 for the job, plus cam/springs. that would be about 700 bucks, for 10 to 15 rwhp..OUCH!

BigRedIIhomepage

5.0 mustang kill vid

Yes, the '01 LS6 cam (PN 12560950, 204/211, .525/.525, LSA 116*) has only .025" more lift, 6/3 more degrees duration, and .5 LESS LSA (to help retain overlap?) than my LQ4 cam (198/208, .500/.500, LSA 115.5). Not much difference, but I think it would up wake the ol' 6.0 quite nicely.

The '02 LS6/ZO6 cam has .550" lift (the highest in sbc production history, FYI: 1955!). It retains the same duration on the intake side @ .050 lift as the '01 LS6 cam, and has LESS "advertised" dur. @ lash (read: aggressive ramps). Since this lift is attained by cutting down the base circle, it requires the use of longer valve stems to maintain lash (you could put in longer pushrods, but valvetrain geometry would not be optimum). The valve stems are also hollow to reduce weight and maintain long term durability at extended high rpm's. The valve springs are also stronger than '01 LS6's.

If I do decide to try the cam, I would in fact install the cam myself in my truck, and I can get the cam and springs from a local GM SPO warehouse for about $260. Not a bad hp/dollar investment!

Full Floater, If your happy with ls6 cam specs as you typed them you will love this.. The intake duration on that cam is .207 not .204.. :)

I agree with you on the cam..It should still wake up our 6.0`s and I also will do my own install. I like the numbers Larry got from the Camaro to Zo6 cam change. Not huge but nice...

I can do the cam in 1.5 hours but the springs will take me the longest time.. I am guessing 2 hours on those.. I measured the cam length and it may even slide in without pulling the radiator, wich means breaking the AC seal.. It will be close but I am going to try and keep from breaking the AC charge if possible.

BigRedIIhomepage

5.0 mustang kill vid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast