If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

How to set timing on a 4.3 V6

This is a discussion on How to set timing on a 4.3 V6 within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hello again. Got a ? about my 4.3 V6 chavy motor that i tore down to replace head gaskets, anyhow ...

How to set timing on a 4.3 V6

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hello again. Got a ? about my 4.3 V6 chavy motor that i tore down to replace head gaskets, anyhow im not real sure if the distributer gets dropped down in with the number 4 piston is at (TDC) or if the number 1 piston is at (TDC). last year i put a timing chain in it witch said to use the #4 piston. While tareing the motor down, i had every thing marked with the #4 piston, like the line on the ballancer, lined up with (0) on the timing tab, and i put a paint mark on the bottom of the distributer,and the intake, and one on the top whare the roter was pointing. After removing the distributer i found that it was junk because it was to hard to turn by hand, so a new distributer was purchased, but all the markings i made are on the old distributer. I kind'a think the 1st and 4th pistons are at (TDC) at the same time, but i cant tell with the heads back on, and i didnt catch the problem with the distributer untill i attempted to clean it up to put it back in the motor. The motor is a Vortec 4.3 V6, with a roller cam, in a 1989 GMC Astro mini van.(Please Advise)

turning 10's

Re: How to set timing on a 4.3 V6

The easiest way to fine TDC of #1 on an assembled engine is this. Remove the coil wire. Remove #1 spark plug. Use your finger to cover the #1 spark plug hole and have someone to bump the engine over. The compression of the engine will push your finger away when #1 is on the compression stroke. It should be close to TDC. Line up the timing tab with the mark on the harmonic balancer. #1 is at TDC.
    A bunch of 1st gen big block Camaro's

Thanx for your reply) I understand how to find (TDC) on a piston, i guess what im trying to find out is if the 4.3 V6 times off of the #1 piston, or the #4 piston since the timing chain requirs the #4 piston to be at (TDC).

turning 10's

That seems odd to me. I can think of a quick way to check. Put the trigger lead on the timing light to #4 plug wires. If the timing mark is with in range with respect to the timing tab, I guess it is correct. What is the Hanes or equivalent manual say?
    A bunch of 1st gen big block Camaro's