***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Gas Mileage Improvement? for a 350

This is a discussion on Gas Mileage Improvement? for a 350 within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Love my new (to me) 94 ext cab z-71, but as a H/S kid the gas is a lil expensive. ...

formerly 9in4x4

Gas Mileage Improvement? for a 350

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Love my new (to me) 94 ext cab z-71, but as a H/S kid the gas is a lil expensive. i know i got it to be a truck not an economy car, but i know a lot of guys claiming much better mileage than my measly (what seems to be) about 10-12 tops in town. what are some easy mods that will improve my MPG? im already lookin at
    -K&N filter
    -TBI Spacer
    -True Dual Flows
    -New spark plugs and wires (maybe)

Anything im missing, do electric fans really give a big improvement in anything? they had better if i will drop 380$ into them

thanks

I would say you would see some improvment. With my mods (which are about what you listed) I've seen about a 3 mpg increase. I know I have a 4.8, but my friend with a 98 350 vortech saw the same increases in gas mileage.
    2000 Silverado 4.8
    • Gen II K&N
    • Superchips Custom Program
    • Helix TBS
    • 2" Rear Drop
    • Doetsch Tech Shocks
    • Clear Corners
    • Billet Grill
    • True Dual w/ 12" Glass packs

Many mods to come...........

Re: Gas Mileage Improvement? for a 350

Originally posted by 9in4x4
    Love my new (to me) 94 ext cab z-71, but as a H/S kid the gas is a lil expensive. i know i got it to be a truck not an economy car, but i know a lot of guys claiming much better mileage than my measly (what seems to be) about 10-12 tops in town. what are some easy mods that will improve my MPG? im already lookin at
    -K&N filter
    -TBI Spacer
    -True Dual Flows

Anything im missing, do electric fans really give a big improvement in anything? they had better if i will drop 380$ into them

thanks
    You got it, a freeflow exhaust and intake system w/ good wires and plugs will help alot. I am getting 20 mpg w/ my '96 X-cab.
    2015 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...t-7th-9th.html

ya i am runing a k&n off road and 3" from the y pipe back into a flow 50 and i still only get about 11 MPG

the faster you can get air in, and out the more horsepower and mpg you will see. there is a limit thoughi have K&N, headers and a catback exhaust and get about 14 city. if you can get some kind of tube to go between the body and the airfilter housing, that will help too. I'm not sure if the 94's have the same kind of intake system that the 91's have. hope i helped

Jake

1991 GMC 1500, 4X4, short bed, 5.7 liter, 4L60, BF Goodrich T/A KO 265/75R16, K&N air filter, Flowmaster

formerly 9in4x4

thanks guys

thanks guys, good to know im going in the right direction. CKTA how the heck do you get 20 MPG thats AWEESOME to me. i know my truck is lifted with the bigger meats and yours is lowered but still id love to hear your mods to the engine

DES=guilty til innocent H&S_Miner's Avatar
    Asking CKTA is just plain wrong, i think he was dreaming when he said that, heck if you ask him what 2+2 was he'd say 5 just slap him a few times to wake him up from his dream.

But defintely on the right track. on the 94 i don't think you could use a programmer, but you can get a chip burned, with all the mods calculated into it, that might help ya some to with teh gains
    Proud father of 2 sons
    Jonathan Blake: 8/31/01
    Robert Elliot: 6/29/07

My AMERICAN BUILT Ricer: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...%20Crew%20Cab/

DSGB

Re: Gas Mileage Improvement? for a 350

-K&N filter
    -TBI Spacer
    -True Dual Flows

thanks
    Hey man don't waste your money paying $380 for electric fans get the Perma Cool fan from Jegs or Summit and you will see the same improvement and only pay around $100. If you want the part numbers or anything just ask.
    Dan

bigred305
    87 C-10 TBI
    dropped 4/6
    Too Many other mods to list

Newest toy: 1995 Pontiac Trans Am

Mods: A couple of toys here and there....

(Under the knife as we speak in search of better times....)

Re: thanks guys

thanks guys, good to know im going in the right direction. CKTA how the heck do you get 20 MPG thats AWEESOME to me. i know my truck is lifted with the bigger meats and yours is lowered but still id love to hear your mods to the engine
    My '96 is BONE stock except for my home-made air intake, exhaust and Taylor wires and AC Delco plat. plugs. This is a Vortec motor, this also helps. Doing the same mods. to your truck will get you better mileage then you currently get.
    2015 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...t-7th-9th.html

jwb
    What about just a tune up? I can get 14 -16 in my 89 4x4, so I know you should be getting better. My friends 95 4x4 gets around 17-18.

Is the cat plugged?
    How are the plugs? Gaps? Wires?
    O2 sensor?
    Air filter?
    Maybe a dragging brake?
    Any codes being set?
    Heavy footed driver?

Just some things I would look at on that year model truck.
    1989 Z-71 5-Speed w/96 Vortec 350 on TBI. 35X12.50 BFG MT KM on 15x10 AR39's 6.5" Dick Cepek Stage 1.

with me its this one

very Heavy footed driver

if they dont bark on the 1-2 shift i am not happy