GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

366 cid chev truck engine

This is a discussion on 366 cid chev truck engine within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I just scored a 366 chev engine and 4 speed manual trans out of a 1967 school bus. It has ...

366 cid chev truck engine

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I just scored a 366 chev engine and 4 speed manual trans out of a 1967 school bus. It has 4000 miles on the rebuild. I was told this block compares to a 396 and 454 blocks and then someone else says its a 427 block. I just want to know what intake and exhaust is available for increased performance from stock.

Re: 366 cid chev truck engine

You should have plenty of torque, we have 366s in a coulple of our farm dump trucks and they haul 18 ton without much problem

They are great torque monsters. Too bad they only share cly.heads like all other big blocks.The 366 and 427 big truck/school bus engines are tall deck motors. If you deside to swap one in be prepared to spend some time making acc brackets, a custom upper radiator hose and mic items.I think a standard water pump bolts up. I helped a friend swap one into a 1 ton dulley, was getting 12 miles to the gallon with 4:10s on the inerstate.

As Big-98 said, that is probably a tall deck motor. Check the thermostat housing, if there are two thermostats, it is tall deck. The deck is .400 taller to allow a taller piston with four rings, if I remember right. This means that normal intake manifolds will not fit without a spacer at the intake. Also, the distributor is a little longer. Now, you might be able to talk to a good machine shop about some ideas like, 1. Using regular pistons and a .400 longer rod for more compression. 2. A stroker crank (+.400) plus regular pistons to increase displacement. Otherwise, I believe the major components to be interchangable. Just be aware of the probably smaller combustion chamber on a 366. If the chambers are similar, a poor flowing 454 head would be a good flowing 366 head. Hope that helps.

Ronnie
    "96 ECSB Totalled 11/06 "99 ECSB K1500 5.3 Base Silverado with 320K miles on the clock "01 GMC CCSB K2500 6.0 153K with 19.5" Michelin Medium Duty Tires "95 Cummins TD 310/751

Resident FSC Canadian CHEV4LIFE's Avatar

Also the 366 has forged internals, My uncle used a 366 crank in his 396 that he put into his nova, actually IIRC think he used the rods too, i know the rest of it sits in the shed

I am "THE" Liar Assclown. astroracer's Avatar

Here is a couple of threads over on hotrods that should be interesting reading for you...
    http://www.hotrodders.com/forums/sho...&highlight=366
    http://www.hotrodders.com/forums/sho...&highlight=366