GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ford 5.4 triton vs chevy 5.3 vortec?

This is a discussion on ford 5.4 triton vs chevy 5.3 vortec? within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by titanguy Read this and draw your own conclusions. Truck test Handling: Dodge Ram; quick steering and nimble ...

Re: ford 5.4 triton vs chevy 5.3 vortec?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Quote Originally Posted by titanguy
    Read this and draw your own conclusions.

Truck test

Handling:
    Dodge Ram; quick steering and nimble feel almost sports-car like.

Now that is funny!
    2014 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...g-1st-3rd.html

i have personally "raced" a older model f150 (97-03) bodystyle. We were side by side going about 40 and we made i contact and we took off. I have no way of knowing if he let off or braked but i beat him to the light (1/2 to 3/4 mile) by about 1.5 truck lengths. Again, i have no way of knowing if it was the 5.4 or the 4.6 but i still beat him, we are both heavy 4x4's FYI

Then there's the Silverado 1500 Crew Cab. The four-door model is brand new, and while interior is both elegant and comfortable, what lies beneath the skin is five-year-old technology and design. Compared to the competition, the Chevy's ride qualities and handling shows it's in dire need of improvement.

We found the Chevy's suspension couldn't make up its mind on how it was supposed to react; on small potholes and across railroad tracks it was rock hard, yet around corners and through dips is was mushy to the point of drivers looking for a dose of Dramamine.

Such suspension tuning makes for generally unpleasant ride and handling situations on bumpy city streets and washboard country roads. Off-pavement romps are even more unpleasant when compared to what Ford and Nissan bring to the show.

Road and wind noise in the pre-production Crew Cab we were driving is also much more noticeable than in the other three pickups. We hope that by the time this pickup gets into production the GM engineers will have sorted out such annoyances.
    3/4 of this article was about the titan and it did nothing but bash the chevy.5 year technology?whats that?You mean every year Ford and Dodge change their suspention packages?I don't think so,uless they can't get it right.

my 4.8 whooped several quad cab 4X4 5.4's they really arent fast at all....

Hey, my post trying to be useful was deleted.

But I raced a 97-03 5.4 and beat it in my 89. So a 5.3 would deffinatley beat one of those, not sure about the brand new ones though.
    2001 rcsb Z71 06 clip, lowered, 6.0 LQ9, p&p 241s, cam, PI3600, LPP long tubes, etc. Tuned by TJ of Baker Engineering Inc - SOLD
    1989 rcsb 4x4, solid axled, HP44/14ff, 4.88s, 35s/20s

Joe

For those that have trouble with their vision, the BS has been removed from the thread.

Thanks
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

In a weak attempt to keep the thread somewhat on track....

I had an '04 F-150 for about two weeks. 5.4 Triton and 3.73 rears. I was very surprised to note that the seat-of-the-pants feel was virtually no different than my '89 RC SWB Chevy, 350 TBI, 3.08 rears. I was highly disappointed in that, given that the textbook says that the F-150 had 50% more in the power and torque department. I could never figure out why until I read the torque management thread here, and I highly suspect that Ford is using some aggressive torque management on that motor, perhaps in an attempt to keep from ripping the transmission to shreds.

-blaine
    Last edited by Frankenbiker; 08-29-2005 at 01:39 PM.

Visit WestcoastZ71's Site!

In the works 2004 Z71 tahoe..........

Quote Originally Posted by gmcjoe
    For those that have trouble with their vision, the BS has been removed from the thread.

Thanks
    Thanks Joe.Heres a link for Titanboy......http://www.nissanforum.com/forumid_13/tt.htm

05 Sierra Z71 x-cab 5.3 Figols Z71's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by treyZ28
    I hear that V10 is a hotrod though. Pass anything but a gas station.
    I operate TV news vans and most of them now a days are the Ford E-350 with the V-10. I just drove from NYC to the Florida Cape for the shuttle launch and believe it or not I got a solid 16 MPG! This truck weighs around 9K pounds fully loaded and 85MPH was no problem. Any higher speeds and the thing becomes too unsteady. TONS of torque with the v-10. I could easily merge in to I-95 traffic with out getting run down! The big problem with the Fords is the brakes suck and the front ends don't hold up well. This is true for the pu trucks as well (not just overloaded news vans). I think most of the motors and trannys are as good as GM's, but the rest of the trucks seem to fall apart. Plus the new Ford trucks are just too heavy!

The Titan I seriously considered before buying the Sierra. I likes a lot about it, BUT it hasn't been around long enough to prove it's durability. So far it seems to have the same problems as the Dodge trucks....small brakes and burnt rear ends! Nissan did do their home work though. The Tital has virtually NO WIND NOISE!! As opposed to the GM's which seem to have quite a bit. After owning a Dodge for the last 5 years I didn't want to take another chance so I went with old reliable and went back to GM (obviously).

Another thing to consider, most of those articles praising the Titan are from CAR MAGAZINES!!! NOT TRUCK MAGAZINES!! The car guys were overjoyed with the powerfull engine and sports car handling, much like they were with the current Ram when it came out.
    "WEll looks like another poster bought a GMC." dodgedakotas.com

Quote Originally Posted by navihawk
    Thanks Joe.Heres a link for Titanboy......http://www.nissanforum.com/forumid_13/tt.htm
    With 665 members on the whole site, it's no wonder he felt lonely and decided to come over here. :LOL:

Quote Originally Posted by Figols Z71
    I operate TV news vans and most of them now a days are the Ford E-350 with the V-10. I just drove from NYC to the Florida Cape for the shuttle launch and believe it or not I got a solid 16 MPG! This truck weighs around 9K pounds fully loaded and 85MPH was no problem. Any higher speeds and the thing becomes too unsteady. TONS of torque with the v-10. I could easily merge in to I-95 traffic with out getting run down! The big problem with the Fords is the brakes suck and the front ends don't hold up well. This is true for the pu trucks as well (not just overloaded news vans). I think most of the motors and trannys are as good as GM's, but the rest of the trucks seem to fall apart. Plus the new Ford trucks are just too heavy!

The Titan I seriously considered before buying the Sierra. I likes a lot about it, BUT it hasn't been around long enough to prove it's durability. So far it seems to have the same problems as the Dodge trucks....small brakes and burnt rear ends! Nissan did do their home work though. The Tital has virtually NO WIND NOISE!! As opposed to the GM's which seem to have quite a bit. After owning a Dodge for the last 5 years I didn't want to take another chance so I went with old reliable and went back to GM (obviously).

Another thing to consider, most of those articles praising the Titan are from CAR MAGAZINES!!! NOT TRUCK MAGAZINES!! The car guys were overjoyed with the powerfull engine and sports car handling, much like they were with the current Ram when it came out.
    you know, when i was going to trade in my truck i wanted to get one but all my friends and dealership said gas milage wouldn't come near 15 on the highway (95% of driving for me). so i didnt even test drive it,. my buddies dad said he got 15 and they all said his math or speedo was off. Kkinda wish i got the crew cab V10 now.

Ironically enough, I was an intern working on the brakes on the current superduties. yeah, they suck. way undersized if i remember correctly.

Evern more ironic, i just got a call from Nissan. Somehow (assuming my college did it) they got ahold of my resume and want to schedule an interview. crazy huh.
    Last edited by treyZ28; 08-29-2005 at 04:38 PM.
    03 Silverado
    Go Faster: 6.0 Lq9 , HP Tuners: , TB Converter, LT headers
    Dont stop: 4x4, Built 4L65E, Terragrappelers, Ford Keys, Locker, Offroad lights, 23 hwy mpg!
    Add some Flare: Helo Maxx 6, brush guard, Kenwood deck & speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Figols Z71
    After owning a Dodge for the last 5 years I didn't want to take another chance so I went with old reliable and went back to GM (obviously).
    How do you feel now? No regrets I hope....of course not.

those of you with 4.8's or 5.3's, I noticed a pretty good difference when I put a K&N Cold Air Induction on my 5.3...it woke it up in acceleration and it didn't die out on me in 2nd like with the stock airbox.......I'm trading my truck in now
    Last edited by Joe; 08-30-2005 at 05:40 AM.
    '06 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 4x4... MT Dick Cepek 305/70R/16's,

Quote Originally Posted by ZmanDan
    those of you with 4.8's or 5.3's, I noticed a pretty good difference when I put a K&N Cold Air Induction on my 5.3...it woke it up in acceleration and it didn't die out on me in 2nd like with the stock airbox.......I'm trading my truck in now
    A trade in?what are you getting?(don't say a Tritan).
    Last edited by Joe; 08-30-2005 at 05:40 AM.

Last year I was at upholestry shop and I was standing next to my truck when a 97-03 F150 pulled up next to me and he says "Peice of **** chevy" I was pissed and turned round and said "EXXXXCUUUSE ME" Hes all "Peice of **** chevys, always broke and slow as hell, my friend hada chevy and he couldnt even tow his boat, i backed my truck up to it and pulled it alll the way to the bay"... I just laughed at him and said riiight.
    I beat a old skool ext cab stepside 2WD 5speed ford the other day, I didnt even have to give it half throttle and I blew his ass away.... My gears is what kills me.

1997 K1500-5.7L-Duals-AEM Brute force-Upgraded ign sys.-Detroit Trutrac, COOPER STT 285, 3:42's DVD player HU, KX1200.1, 2 kicker 10" L7's, Polk Components, TYC HID's, Shiftkit Built Trny
    2001 Camaro Z28 lotsa goodies-Mid 12's.

Quote Originally Posted by navihawk
    A trade in?what are you getting?(don't say a Tritan).
    Heeelllll no, I'll ride a billygoat before I ever bought a Japanese full size pick up truck, that's about as un-American as it gets . I'm trading in my '03 Z71 for a '06 2500 6.6 diesal 4x4.....I loved my Z71 but it just wasn't enough, time to play with the big boys....;)
    '06 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 4x4... MT Dick Cepek 305/70R/16's,

Resident FSC Canadian CHEV4LIFE's Avatar

Dont worry Titan, ill be there for you, when you break down, and you need a $700 alternator or some crazy ridiculus price for a made in Japan part, My truck tows nice

I knocked of a 99 4.6 F-150 tonite, It was a RCSS 4x4 so i think i was heavier than him too. Ive yet to meet a hemi or a NBS ford but i think it should at least be able to hold my own, of course I am using 11 year old technology.....
    Last edited by CHEV4LIFE; 08-29-2005 at 10:59 PM.

that 4.6 is a joke. it cant get out of its own way. The die hard ford guys will even say it.
    the 4.8 is far better than the 4.6. the 5.3 is far better than the 5.4. and the 6.0 is just a slap in the face to ford powertrain.

I'm really glad GM has that 6.0 in there between the big gas and 5.3

dodge and ford dont. so its either the 5.4/5.7 or the V10s. GM's 6.0 is an excellent compromise
    03 Silverado
    Go Faster: 6.0 Lq9 , HP Tuners: , TB Converter, LT headers
    Dont stop: 4x4, Built 4L65E, Terragrappelers, Ford Keys, Locker, Offroad lights, 23 hwy mpg!
    Add some Flare: Helo Maxx 6, brush guard, Kenwood deck & speakers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast