If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ford 5.4 triton vs chevy 5.3 vortec?

This is a discussion on ford 5.4 triton vs chevy 5.3 vortec? within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; one of my friend has a for quad cab 5.4 v8 triton and i was wondering if it would out ...

Chevy and Yammy Hammy YaMaHaBoB's Avatar

ford 5.4 triton vs chevy 5.3 vortec?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    one of my friend has a for quad cab 5.4 v8 triton and i was wondering if it would out run a 5.3 1500 ext? he only has a small amount of miles on it so it isnt completely broke in yet but when it is fully broken in which do you think would win in a drag race... say 0-60?
    2005 YFZ 450 - now thats a full size motor

Re: ford 5.4 triton vs chevy 5.3 vortec?

5.3 hands down IMO. From what I've read the fords fall flat on their faces once they hit any kind of higher rpm's.
    Last edited by oldred95; 08-28-2005 at 03:19 PM.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

well the 5.3 is rated at 285 HP...what is the Triton?? Some kid said he new the Nissan Titan 5.6L would smoke my 5.3L.....I think he might be right....
    '06 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 4x4... MT Dick Cepek 305/70R/16's,

Quote Originally Posted by ZmanDan
    well the 5.3 is rated at 285 HP...what is the Triton?? Some kid said he new the Nissan Titan 5.6L would smoke my 5.3L.....I think he might be right....
    I was thinking the ford is advertised at like 305 or something like that. Their torque curve is what kills them unless they've changed it. When the new F150's first came out they bragged about how great it is becaues 80% of the engines torque was made under 1000 rpms. Thats fine for towing but you've got to have torque to push that brick through the air too. Not sure on the Titan. Going by looks I don't see any way in the world the titan could be even remotely fast.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

BXP

Quote Originally Posted by oldred95
    I was thinking the ford is advertised at like 305 or something like that. Their torque curve is what kills them unless they've changed it. When the new F150's first came out they bragged about how great it is becaues 80% of the engines torque was made under 1000 rpms. Thats fine for towing but you've got to have torque to push that brick through the air too. Not sure on the Titan. Going by looks I don't see any way in the world the titan could be even remotely fast.
    Heh heh, yeah, looks surely wouldn't give it away, but the Titan is pretty quick... I have a brand-new '05 Silverado with the 5.3L and a friend has the Titan. He let me drive it and the thing has good acceleration. Off the line, I'd say the Titan probably edges out the 5.3, but I don't know about higher speeds. The Titan engine is a 5.6L rated at I think 304 HP. However, my friend tells me Nissan underrated the engine as people have dynoed the trucks and gotten higher numbers.

Chevy and Yammy Hammy YaMaHaBoB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZmanDan
    uh yeah it would... my dad has a titian... it runs like no other... his isnt broke in real good and it still runs good through the gears... i mean 1-2-3 pulls better than you think.
    2005 YFZ 450 - now thats a full size motor

......................... Atomic's Avatar

It has a 5 speed auto instead of our 4spds doesnt it?

my dad had an armada for a short time. it had the 5.6 with 305 hp and it was pretty fast. it felt like 4.10 gears plus it had a 5 speed transmission, that helped. it got horrible gas mileage tho, around 10 mpg. nissan put bad breaks on them though. the rotors warped in 3000 miles and the guy at the nissan dealership said the problem was "the japanese invented this big suv with a heavy v8 and kept Sentra brakes on it" my dad traded it in for a acura tl and a '01 f150 (i gave him crap of that **** but he did it for the price). the f150 has a 4.6 and my 4.8 does circles around it. seriously, i destroy it. but the armada would have me.

Quote Originally Posted by YaMaHaBoB
    one of my friend has a for quad cab 5.4 v8 triton and i was wondering if it would out run a 5.3 1500 ext? he only has a small amount of miles on it so it isnt completely broke in yet but when it is fully broken in which do you think would win in a drag race... say 0-60?

I think the chevy would win hands down!

My buddy has an 04 Ford with the 5.4 and i'll tell you i think those 300 hp get lost somewhere between the engine and the tires. My 05 5.3 aluminum block (305HP) feels a hell of alot faster (judgeing by my ass-O-meter) i haven't had a chance to blow his doors off yet but im pretty sure i would, i think my old 4.3 s-10 ZR2 would have givin him a run for his money when she was at her best

As far as the Nissans go Motor Trend says that 5.6 is pretty much a beast and the factory HP #'s are underrated... they also say the Fords don't feel like 300 hp.

I think you'd win!!
    Joe
    Married to coke whore Barbie

i drove the 5.4 when i was going to trade my 4.8 in.
    same trucks (ext cab, short bed, 4x4, offroad package)

the 5.4 sucked balls. i think my 4.8 would beat it. my friend was with me (ford guy) and he was like "uhh wtf"

i gave it back and went home. that sucked. I hear that V10 is a hotrod though. Pass anything but a gas station.

as far as 80% of torque below 1000 rpm, i think that means it makes 80% of peak torque below 1000. meaning if it was a 300ftlb engine, it makes 240ftlbs by 1000. not that 80% of the curve is below 1000. that would mean it wouldn't even rev to 1500rpm! that would be useless anyway. who the hell cruises at 900rpm? you would need semi-like torque to have gears that low and still move
    03 Silverado
    Go Faster: 6.0 Lq9 , HP Tuners: , TB Converter, LT headers
    Dont stop: 4x4, Built 4L65E, Terragrappelers, Ford Keys, Locker, Offroad lights, 23 hwy mpg!
    Add some Flare: Helo Maxx 6, brush guard, Kenwood deck & speakers

i think the 5.3 wins that one. the ford is a much heavier truck, plus being a quad cab doesnt help. the titan is a different story. a friend of mine has an 04 crewcab titan. that thing is pretty quick and sounds pretty throaty stock. we kinda raced one time, well twice in the same span of highway. from like 55 on up we punched it the first time i got him, or was pulling away. the second time we were neck & neck him nosing ahead before we came up on traffic. oh lets face it all V-8's are fast except fords

Futral F14/Patriot Golds/Pushrods/Ported LS6 Oil Pump/LS2 Chain/90mm FAST intake/90mm Nick Williams TB/30lb SVO injectors/Mac Mid-Lengths/QTP Cutout/Nitrous Daves 90mm Plate Nitrous System

Banned

Read this and draw your own conclusions.

Truck test

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by titanguy

Truck test
    Read 4 publications and you'll see 4 different results :LOL:

I'll take my 5.3l, thanks.
    In stock form I'll lose to comprably equipped Ram Hemi trucks, but beat 5.4l F-150s.

No expreience with a Titan, I don't think anyone around here buys them :LOL:
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

Resident FSC Canadian CHEV4LIFE's Avatar

Stupid imports, They cant make trucks worth ****, I doubt they will ever have the tried,tested and true factor that Chevy dodge and even ford have.... Plus keep in mind of the trucks in comparison the chevy 5.3 is the smallest of the bunch, (5.4 5.6 5.7)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEV4LIFE
    Stupid imports, They cant make trucks worth ****, I doubt they will ever have the tried,tested and true factor that Chevy dodge and even ford have.... Plus keep in mind of the trucks in comparison the chevy 5.3 is the smallest of the bunch, (5.4 5.6 5.7)

And with the stupid torque management, I'm not surprised.
    Escalade Handles
    Silverado SS guage cluster
    Pioneer DEH-P4800MP, PAC SWI-PS, (2) MTX Amps, JL Audio 6.5's in the front door, MTX 10 in a Probox behind the rear seat.
    UnderCover Tonneau Cover
    Wait4Me Performance Tune
    Magnaflow #15841 Cat Back Exhaust
    18's with 285/60/18's

Truck test
    Whoever wrote this clearly dislikes Chevy's and always has.I had no issues like they stated on towing.

Truck test
    i have read that and concluded that you are a troll :LOL:

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DemoN
    i have read that and concluded that you are a troll :LOL:
    :LOL: :LOL:
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

Banned

Name one publication that ranks the Silverado above the Titan, F150, or even the Ram. :LOL:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast