If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

350 TBI engine in a Chevy G20

This is a discussion on 350 TBI engine in a Chevy G20 within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hi! As I mentioned in another post, I just bought a Chevy Van. And I've got the wonderful 5.7 litres, ...

350 TBI engine in a Chevy G20

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hi!

As I mentioned in another post, I just bought a Chevy Van. And I've got the wonderful 5.7 litres, 200hp, 400nm, 350 TBI engine in it delivering a lot of torque. 700 aut. gearbox with overdrive. It's an uncommon car and even more uncommen engine here in Sweden. I don't know anybody who owned one of these V8's. Therefore I ask here because I guess there are alot of people who own or just know interesting information about this engine. It has ran 280'000 kilometers or aprox. 175'000 miles. By the way, what do you use in the US, kW/hp, lb-ft/nm, km/miles, kg/bl and so on?

What parts are worn most? I don't want the engine broken on autobahn on my planned tour in Europe. What is recomended to change and what lasts for ever?

It's fuel consumption is pretty high too, but I've read al little bit on the forums and it seems possible to run it at 16-20 MPG if you're driving smooth.

As I said, I don't know much about american cars so I just wanw some basic information.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Sweden.

Mille

Re: 350 TBI engine in a Chevy G20

2015 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...t-7th-9th.html

Resident FSC Canadian CHEV4LIFE's Avatar

In the states, Ft lbs, lbs , hp and miles, to start off with it is very hard to kill a SBC with 175k on it, that motor is still in its prime, with a good tune up, plugs, wires, air filter, pcv, Oil change, cap and rotor, coolant flush, transmission and differential service, that should still be a strong motor with another 75k left in it. Anything internal should still be in good shape if it was taken care of. I doubt it would break down on the bahn, In fact I'd give'r and see what she tops out at

Proud to be an Idiot bobzilla75's Avatar

I agree with CHEV4LIFE. My parents had a 1992 GMC G20 that had a hi-top conversion that weighed 6200lbs empty. We installed a Jacobs Ignition, K&N filter, rigged up heater hose to make a CAI, Hypretech chip, installed a 3" Flowmaster and a 3" tailpipe. The thing run great. When they got rid of it it had 198k miles and still didn't smoke or burn any oil or water. It got 16.9 mpg after all the upgrades and 14.5 before.

I think that you've got a lot of life in that thing left.
    Founding member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

Thanks for the posts so far! I really appreciate them.

We (me and my friend) did the speed meter out at the highway. 160 km/h (approx. 100mph) but it still had more power. Lovely engine. I mean, these vans are not made to drive fast (just take a look at it!) but the engine hade no problems with it.

We installed new oil filter, air filter and ignition. The oil is in very good condition, the guy we bought it from had made a change just a few weeks earlier. Next time we fill it up with gas, we will put some injection cleaner in it. We will change some wiring soon, just need to find somewhere to find them. And some money of course. A new timing belt should also be installed.

I still don't have a good dictionairy so many word might be wrong. Anyhow, I will look for a great dictionairy so I can translate the words I don't know.

// Mille
    Last edited by Mille; 10-11-2005 at 01:59 AM.

Proud to be an Idiot bobzilla75's Avatar

Well, some good news for you, Small block chevy V8's don't use timing belts. The chain in it should be good for the life of the engine.
    Founding member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

Quote Originally Posted by Mille
    Thanks for the posts so far! I really appreciate them.

We (me and my friend) did the speed meter out at the highway. 160 km/h (approx. 100mph) but it still had more power. Lovely engine. I mean, these vans are not made to drive fast (just take a look at it!) but the engine hade no problems with it.

We installed new oil filter, air filter and ignition. The oil is in very good condition, the guy we bought it from had made a change just a few weeks earlier. Next time we fill it up with gas, we will put some injection cleaner in it. We will change some wiring soon, just need to find somewhere to find them. And some money of course. A new timing belt should also be installed.

I still don't have a good dictionairy so many word might be wrong. Anyhow, I will look for a great dictionairy so I can translate the words I don't know.

// Mille

I have a 1983 with what started out as a stock 305 carb engine in it. Cam, ported TPI heads, headers, dual exhaust, GM TBI setup, Edelbrock TBI intake, bigger TBI, custom programming. I went from 180 HP to 275 HP. My fuel mileage went from 17-18 AVG to 19-20 average. On the highway I was getting 21-22 mpg and a long trip netted 23. Its so hard to keep it under 70 and so boring there, it wants to go much faster. At 70 it is only taking like 20% TPS and 60 MAP (per ECM datalogs), to keep it rolling along on flat land. I've had mine over 130 MPH and still had more. Still rock solid at that speed, no sway or weaving. Not a stock engine and tall rear gears (3.08) though.

My Cardomain Page
    Last edited by Fast305; 10-11-2005 at 11:46 AM.