GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Trailblazer torque converter

This is a discussion on Trailblazer torque converter within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm interested in getting a I6 trailblazer torque converter behind my 5.3 but have a few questions. How much RPM ...

Question Trailblazer torque converter

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I'm interested in getting a I6 trailblazer torque converter behind my 5.3 but have a few questions.
    How much RPM will I gain between shifts?
    Is it a direct replacement for my converter?
    Any weaker since it's built to be behind an I6?
    Anyone did this mod and had it work well for them?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Trailblazer torque converter

On a 5.3 it should stall around 2300-2500rpms.
    It is a direct swap.
    There are a bunch of guys running them behine 5.3's, 6.0's, 5.7's and I haven't heard of a single problem yet.
    I've got one behind my LS1 5.7 and it's been great. Really pulls hard from a stop.

For the price, you can't beat it if you ask me.
    Born on 11/20/06: '07 Classic GMC 2500HD DuraMax Edge Evo

SOLD-03' Silverado ECSB 6.0 LQ9, Patriot LS6 heads, TR230, 31lb inj, TB stall, vette servo, Corsa, HP Tuners
    SOLD-99' Silverado ECSB 5.3

Really good bang for the buck considering what an aftermarket converter for a LSx based engine goes for.
    RIP Billy, aka budhayes 3

Thanks for the info.
    How much RPM will I gain when it shifts? (I know the RPM won't drop as much, but I don't know how much)
    Anyone know this?

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsilver
    Thanks for the info.
    How much RPM will I gain when it shifts? (I know the RPM won't drop as much, but I don't know how much)
    Anyone know this?
    from what I hear about looser convertors you might get a couple hundred extra rpms at WOT shifts.
    During normal driving, the shifts should stay the same.

SOLD-03' Silverado ECSB 6.0 LQ9, Patriot LS6 heads, TR230, 31lb inj, TB stall, vette servo, Corsa, HP Tuners

where are you getting this?

Quote Originally Posted by DemoN
    where are you getting this?
    Who is this question referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Zick
    Who is this question referring to?
    a trailblazer TQ...

a trailblazer TQ...

Are you asking him where he's getting the TB convertor from or are you asking about the information that I posted about it?

Side note: it's much easier to understand what people are trying to say when you post with a complete sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Zick

Are you asking him where he's getting the TB convertor from or are you asking about the information that I posted about it?

Side note: it's much easier to understand what people are trying to say when you post with a complete sentence.
    "where are you getting this?" is a complete sentence.

if need to spell it out even more for you, though:

Dear Sir,
    I am looking for a trailblazer torque convertor. i have noticed that you have stated that you will be gaining possession of the same product i am looking for. i am curious, where might you be recieving your trailblazer torque convertor from? i would find it very helpful if you were able to provide me this information, as i have not been able to locate one at a decent price on my own. If possible, i would rather not spend too much money as i have many other modifications that i need to do as well as doing a trailblazer torque convertor. But if the trailblazer torque convertor cost too much, then i can just get me a yank torque convertor because i know i will get a higher stall. but as i stated earilier, i don't want to spend that kind of money for a yank torque convertor if i can get a trailblazer torque convertor for a substantially reduced price.

Thank you for your time,
    DemoN

"where are you getting this?" is a complete sentence.

if need to spell it out even more for you, though:

Dear Sir,
    I am looking for a trailblazer torque convertor. i have noticed that you have stated that you will be gaining possession of the same product i am looking for. i am curious, where might you be recieving your trailblazer torque convertor from? i would find it very helpful if you were able to provide me this information, as i have not been able to locate one at a decent price on my own. If possible, i would rather not spend too much money as i have many other modifications that i need to do as well as doing a trailblazer torque convertor. But if the trailblazer torque convertor cost too much, then i can just get me a yank torque convertor because i know i will get a higher stall. but as i stated earilier, i don't want to spend that kind of money for a yank torque convertor if i can get a trailblazer torque convertor for a substantially reduced price.

Thank you for your time,
    DemoN

:LOL:

Btw, "where are you getting this?" and "a Trailblazer TQ" are not complete sentences. What the hell is "this", I guess we are all just suppose to read your mind and figure out who and what the hell your talking about.

Last edited by Zick; 11-08-2005 at 02:26 PM.

I have the Gen 1 equivalent of the Traiblazer converter in my truck. I am usingthe L35 V6 converter behind my Vortec 350.

In my truck, I can get the engine revved up to around 2500 rpm before the tires spin, the rpms after WOT shifts have risen about 300-400 rpm. If I shift at 5500rpm, I used to drop down to 3400 rpm, now it drops to around 3700-3800 rpm after the shifts.

I have read that behind a 5.3L engine the TB converterwill satll around 2400-2600 rpm. The more torque you feed a converter the higher it will stall. The same TB converter may stall at 3000 rpm behind a 6.0L engine, not sure though.

You will experience improved acceleration, bot duing roll ons, dead stop starts and better torque recovery after the shifts.

hope this helps

pauly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Thank you all for the info, my questions have been answered.
    DEMON---I heard we can get a TB converter from a GM dealer for a couple hundred $, but the downside is I think we'll need a core. I'll look around at other sources to try and find them for $200-$300 without a core. I'll PM you if I find them. Look around, PM me if you find them before me. Thanks.

Here is the GM part number for a TB converter

It is $180 plus shipping and a $100 core charge on gmpartsdirect.com. I've heard of people shipping back their stock converters for the core as they are almost identical in physical apperance.

I'd PM Mark for pricing and core iquiries. He can probably beat your local stealership prices.
    RIP Billy, aka budhayes 3

Thanks tdrumm