GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

roller rockers on a tbi

This is a discussion on roller rockers on a tbi within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; looking to add a set of roller rockers to my 91 350 tbi in my k1500. question is, should I ...

roller rockers on a tbi

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    looking to add a set of roller rockers to my 91 350 tbi in my k1500. question is, should I go with 1.6 or 1.5 rockers? advantages and dis advantages please. also how much lift can a set of stock tbi heads handle??
    Last edited by clean 15; 02-22-2006 at 08:44 AM.

Re: roller rockers on a tbi

I had 1.6 roller rockers on my 1994 TBI. I felt a slight difference in power, but not much. It mostley just idled and reved alot smoother

was that on a stock cam??

I have a 92 k1500 and I got the comp cams 1.6 magnum roller rockers. I have the stock cam. I also notice the smoother reving, I dont think really add a lot of power, just something nice to top off your engine. I think they add about .1 lift and a few more degrees. Theyre really easy to install.

You want 1.6's. They produce the most lift. 1.5's are just about like stock. Only advantage with them is less friction.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

I run 1.6 roller tip rockers on a 1995 Yukon TBI forced induction,and the swap really helped! With that extra vavle lift at 10 psi I pick up 30+ hp "NO B.S." But with a N/A set up don't expect that much, i still think it's worth your time.

Josh

i wouldn't waste your money if your engine is stock otherwise. the gains will be minimal, and for what they cost you could by some other things that will increase performance more.
    89 K2500 w/ 383. TBI 383 w/ all the goodies. Dick Cepek 305/70s, 3" BL, 4.10s, EBL tuned by ME. Magnaflow exhaust....5" tips.

technut

if you got 'em use 'em, if not spend your cash on other items thatll produce
    better power. rollers cna be a "good" thing, but the noises and adjustment
    can be troublesome for some.

visit the TBI sticky and there are some quick and inexpensive mods to
    do before the rollers...
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...ad.php?t=76859

airdeano
    2001 Silverado 4.8L 4-spd Automatic 3.42
    ? horsepower
    ? torque
    will find out soon!

1965 C10 5.3L (SSR) TH4L60e
    (It's Alive! 07/04 It Drives! 03/05 Daily Driver XX/08!)

I've got a set from Comp Cams on mine, 1.6 ratio and I really like them. Seems like they helped the powerband- torque from stop light to highway speeds. They DO NOT make wads of horsepower like nitrous- ported heads, etc., but you can feel a difference. I'd guess, and a wild one at that based on what I was told by the Comp Cams guru, they made another 10 horsepower. Less friction too and that's always important.

I'd buy them again if I had to do it again.
    TBIChips Custom chip, 180 stat, 1" spacer,Witch Hunter injectors, Performance module-Cap-Rotor and 50,000 volt "Screamin' Demon" coil, Taylor 8.2mm wires, AC Delco plugs, true-duals, Magnaflow hi-flow cat, Spin-techs, 2" drop shackles...more after that!

This is why they made roller tipped rockers. Look on ebay, they are about 55 bucks a set. You want the SBC 3/8 stud one's in 1.6 ratio. I'm gonna get some of those someday, just not sure when.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

if you are running stock heads you have to get the self aligning rockers and you have to make sure the rockers are for center bolt valve covers or they will not clear. been doin a little research and this is what I have found. so far I have headers ported heads cam ultimite tbi mods etc... now I ma looking at afr heads