If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

396 stroker TBI

This is a discussion on 396 stroker TBI within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku Has anyone ever built such a thing or stroked a 350 to 396 for that matter? Just curious what ...

396 stroker TBI

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku

Has anyone ever built such a thing or stroked a 350 to 396 for that matter? Just curious what kind of power can be expected from it.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Re: 396 stroker TBI

Jeeeezus thats a long stroke for a small block. Well, maybe not that bad. Sounds pretty cool though.
    1989 K1500 Sport 4x4 RCSB
    Swapped the 2nd 4.3L for a '93 burb 350
    And of course a 5-speed manny tranny
    "There'd be no truck drivers if it wasn't for us trucks, No double-clutchin', gear-jammin', coffee-drinkin' nuts"

I found badburbans thread from when he was building his 383 and desktop dyno showed it would make 490 ft lbs of torque. I was thinking this properly built of course, could break 500 pretty easy. Also would consider supercharging it just for chits and giggles and a little tuning challenge My engine is plenty strong now but I am thinking that I may be able to get a job at a machine shop and if I could do that then I could get things at discounted prices, have all access for port work and engine building and everything. I could build a nice 396 stroker and set it aside for use at a later time. Best thing is I could get some 396 SS badges and double the power
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Quote Originally Posted by oldred95
    Best thing is I could get some 396 SS badges and double the power
    That was my HP secret! I wish I could do a 427 BB (maybe de-stroke a 454). Nobody seemed to like that idea, which makes me want to do it all the more.

I bet that 396 would make some massive torque, especially for a small block. Isn't there a kit for a 400 block like this too?
    "There'd be no truck drivers if it wasn't for us trucks, No double-clutchin', gear-jammin', coffee-drinkin' nuts"

Other thing would be the main caps. For an engine with this much torque I'd only feel comfortable with a 4 bolt main. I have read certain early model OBS dually's had 4 bolt mains but I can't imagine those being plentiful. I've also read that a 2 bolt can be made a 4 bolt. Is there a kit for that or how does that work? Do you just get 4 bolt caps and drill and tap holes for the additional two bolts? Are the blocks essentially the same otherwise? What would be a fair price for either just a used 4 bolt main block or a complete junkyard 4 bolt main engine? And how do you know if the engine is a 4 bolt main aside from dropping the pan?

Other thing would be the main caps. For an engine with this much torque I'd only feel comfortable with a 4 bolt main. I have read certain early model OBS dually's had 4 bolt mains but I can't imagine those being plentiful. I've also read that a 2 bolt can be made a 4 bolt. Is there a kit for that or how does that work? Do you just get 4 bolt caps and drill and tap holes for the additional two bolts? Are the blocks essentially the same otherwise? What would be a fair price for either just a used 4 bolt main block or a complete junkyard 4 bolt main engine? And how do you know if the engine is a 4 bolt main aside from dropping the pan?
    the retrofit 4 bolt caps are extremely thick ductile iron. the outer two bolts are splayed and threaded into holes that must be drilled and tapped. the retrofit 4 bolts are stonger that factory 4 bolts. flip through the engine parts section of a Jeg's or Summit catalog to see a picture. both Eagle and Milodon make them.
    dropping the pan is the only definitive way to tell if it's a 2 or a 4 bolt.
    02 K1500 Z71 Avalanche bone stock
    88 K2500 350 TBI, 10" Edelbrock OE, Ultimate TBI, Summit 1102 cam, MSD 8.5mm wires, built 700-r4, BFG AT/ko's, 3.73's, Flowtech Afterburner Headers, Magnaflow 3" cat, Flowmaster Super 40.

To be ordered: Holley 300-66 intake

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=KeywordSearch

Something like that? Not a bad price considering the realiability and piece of mind. They are easy enough to install too.

Josh

a 2 bolt with ARP bolts would handle it fine. thats what i am going to do to mine. edit: actually now that i look at those retrofit caps, that is what i will do. those are sweet as hell.

with that long of a stroke and 6" rods that thing will make some good torque, but make sure they torque plate it when they bore and hone your block, or you'll end up with the exact same knock i have. i guarantee it. its because of weak cylinder walls that distort when the head is torqued on them and the really short skirt of the piston.
    Last edited by 89stroker; 03-22-2006 at 05:45 PM.
    89 K2500 w/ 383. TBI 383 w/ all the goodies. Dick Cepek 305/70s, 3" BL, 4.10s, EBL tuned by ME. Magnaflow exhaust....5" tips.

Quote Originally Posted by 89stroker
    a 2 bolt with ARP bolts would handle it fine. thats what i am going to do to mine.

with that long of a stroke and 6" rods that thing will make some good torque, but make sure they torque plate it when they bore and hone your block, or you'll end up with the exact same knock i have. i guarantee it. its because of weak cylinder walls that distort when the head is torqued on them and the really short skirt of the piston.
    What does torque plating it do and to what part? I'll talk to you on msn.

3/4 and 1 ton trucks and vans have 4-bolt mains for the most part.

I have built a carbed stroker 396, but it would have been no problem feeding it with TBI.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast305
    3/4 and 1 ton trucks and vans have 4-bolt mains for the most part.

I have built a carbed stroker 396, but it would have been no problem feeding it with TBI.
    Would those vans and trucks coming from the factory with a 4 bolt main also have roller cams? Also roughly what kind of torque do you think this engine would be able to make using my holley projection intake, a 54 mm 850 cfm TBI and ported L98 heads? I want frame twisting, motor mount shreading torque if I do it, not some measly 390 ish like I've got now. 390 ish is good but its not tweaking the frame either I want to be like vin diesel, "it had some much torque coming off the line it twisted the frame rails".
    Last edited by oldred95; 03-22-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Had a thought this morning. If I built an engine like this I would use L98 heads which from what I am understanding are off TPI vettes up to 91 and TPI f bodies up until 92. Are the blocks for those engines the same as a gen I block like TBI uses? Reason I ask is it may be cheaper in the long run to get a complete junkyard TPI engine if the block would work, then I would have heads and I could sell the TPI stuff or do whatever with it. Two bolt main doesn't matter because I'm pretty much set on using the retrofit 4 bolt main kit.

Mark

i would personally go aftermarket and not try to use l-98 heads. might as well go all out
    Belltech 2/2 | Vortec longblock | GMPP intake | bored 2" TBI | 2500 stall | stock 3.42's | Hooker LT's | Bullets | 8k HID | 5% tint

Buy a vortec longblock from a junkyard, sell the heads and intake(in your case). You could probably get 400-500 on ebay... I could buy a whole motor for that around here. Then you can have a block to build on and still have money to throw at some good aftermarket heads.

That kinda makes sense as well. Does the 5.7 vortec and TBI use identical blocks? Doesn't the vortec block have a roller camshaft from the factory?

the vortecs use a different timing cover than the earlier motors, so they're not identical.
    02 K1500 Z71 Avalanche bone stock
    88 K2500 350 TBI, 10" Edelbrock OE, Ultimate TBI, Summit 1102 cam, MSD 8.5mm wires, built 700-r4, BFG AT/ko's, 3.73's, Flowtech Afterburner Headers, Magnaflow 3" cat, Flowmaster Super 40.

To be ordered: Holley 300-66 intake

Mark

yes they are a roller block from the factory. they aren't identical and yes the timing cover is different (found out on my swap). buying a vortec longblock and sell the heads/cam and build it up would be a good route to go IMO.

heres one thats already bored and stroked:

http://www.blueprintengines.com/popu...specs&pc_id=25
    Belltech 2/2 | Vortec longblock | GMPP intake | bored 2" TBI | 2500 stall | stock 3.42's | Hooker LT's | Bullets | 8k HID | 5% tint

So what do you do about the timing cover to make that work? I guess I just need to set the two side by side and get a visual so I know how much work this would be.

Mark

So what do you do about the timing cover to make that work? I guess I just need to set the two side by side and get a visual so I know how much work this would be.
    we (mechanic and i) marked a few spots on the cover with chalk so we knew about where the timing was. nothing more than that i'll go take a pic in a minute

Now I'm thinking of just finding a block from an 87-95 fsc and just going that way. Maybe the vortec block would work, maybe it would be the best buy as far as old parts to sell but I don't want to mess with that. Using a block from a TBI truck I will know for sure it would fit. Whats it take to go from flat tappet to roller camshaft? Just a roller camshaft and lifters right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast