If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Best Way To Gut A Catalytic Converter???

This is a discussion on Best Way To Gut A Catalytic Converter??? within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Had some exhaust work done after my header install and the shop said they had to put a CAT on ...

Best Way To Gut A Catalytic Converter???

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Had some exhaust work done after my header install and the shop said they had to put a CAT on my truck b/c it did not have one. I really liked the sound of the truck before but now it is much quieter than what i want. I thought it would sound alot better after the headers were on. Any info on gutting the CAT would be great, thanks.

Re: Best Way To Gut A Catalytic Converter???

1st ,take the system off. lay it on the ground the way it came out of the truck. Get out yer cut off wheel and cut the cat right above the seam, all the way around. Take the top off and pull out the insides. Weld back on. If you dont have the tools you could alwys go w/ the old hammer and punch method. I do not condone this, it is illegal. Just had to add that in. Big Brother is always watching!!
    97ChevyECSB,350,Dropped,All Poly,RearSwayBar,Headers,Flow50s,ZZ4Cam,ZEX,Nelson Hot Tune,915Beehives,1.6rollers,
    Port,Polish+Bowlblend,TBmods,plenumspacer,CAI,
    Built60E,3000stall,Transgo,MegaShifter+more.
    2004 Chevy CCSB 4x4 w/ K+N F.I.P.K, more to come
    1972 Pontiac LeMans 406cid

remove, hammer and large punch or any steel rod or use an air hammer. replace cat and go through emissions and watch how much worse your readings are, but you will still pass. my old '94 z-28 camaro got great emissions readings until my cat was hollowed.

a buddy of mine said we could cut it off and then use some type of "clamp" to put it back on after we hollowed it out. Not sure how well that would work, i think they weld those things on for a reason. Is there any way to hollow it out without removing it???

tag a big boulder in the the road speeding down a moutain like i did in my camaro and gas it and see if you can push the crushed pieces out. kiddin'. chunks won't move too much. cut, hollow, re-WELD. clamps will give you all kinds of ugly exhaust leak noises.

2bad$doesn't growon trees 96thebossgrnchv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigswin
    a buddy of mine said we could cut it off and then use some type of "clamp" to put it back on after we hollowed it out. Not sure how well that would work, i think they weld those things on for a reason. Is there any way to hollow it out without removing it???
    get your vaccum cleaner hose and stick it in the tailpipe and flip the switch i dont think you can hollow it out without removing it, since you already have it in, i wouldn't do anything to it, cats are expensive,
    latruckscene.net

98 lsx camaro

2bad$doesn't growon trees 96thebossgrnchv's Avatar

i think he's trying to get around welding, dunno
    latruckscene.net

98 lsx camaro

yeah, i was pissed i had to buy one in the first place. Guy kept crying about some federal law or something...

i had one......emissions didn't know it was hollow, though. i only did it because i had just bought the new converter and tagged the boulder and warranty doesn't cover that. like fuggin hell i'm gonna dish out ANOTHER $100+ dollars for another one. just hollowed it and passed emissions. but if you do it, rig a way to weld a 'through pipe' in the honeycomb's place. i had turbulence going from a pipe to an open void (where the honeycomb was) and back through a pipe. i know it hurt the performance as i lost smooth flow that way.

yeah, i talked to a guy about the thru pipe and he said that was a good way to go. If you do get a roadside inspection you will obviously pass. I'm not worried about emissions b/c there is no such test where I live.

Why wouldnt putting a pipe of allmost the same diamiter of the pipes,through the cat,then maybe tackweld it in three places to the cat, then attach cat as normal. Just a suggestion,bigolblackie in no way,is responsible if you break any laws because of this advice.
    bigolblackie 1988 fulsize Blazer Silverado obs reg.cab 3500diesel Chev towtruck 1981 Lincoln Continental MK.VI "the black American dream car"

Like was said above,cut off converter, take large hammer and pipe and beat out the catalyst. Although for performance,most cats today arent that restrictive.

Welding on exhaust is a great scam for some shops. Its only an option in states that systems dont rot out often in.
    Last edited by BobB; 03-29-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobB
    Like was said above,cut off converter, take large hammer and pipe and beat out the catalyst. Although for performance,most cats today arent that restrictive.

Welding on exhaust is a great scam for some shops. Its only an option in states that systems dont rot out often in.
    good point. most are just bolt-on. mine needed to be welded on because ****heads used a sawsall to remove old one. ****heads.

if you can get it off just use a bar and break that **** out. but if you cant get it off you have to cut it open

get ya a and cut it off lol.
    !!!FIRST TO GO LAST TO KNOW!!!

94 GMC Sierra 4x4. work in progress..stock.
    07 3/4 Dodge Ram,CUMMINS,4wd,35 Open Country's

Quote Originally Posted by BIZILL
    i had one......emissions didn't know it was hollow, though. i only did it because i had just bought the new converter and tagged the boulder and warranty doesn't cover that. like fuggin hell i'm gonna dish out ANOTHER $100+ dollars for another one. just hollowed it and passed emissions. but if you do it, rig a way to weld a 'through pipe' in the honeycomb's place. i had turbulence going from a pipe to an open void (where the honeycomb was) and back through a pipe. i know it hurt the performance as i lost smooth flow that way.
    Good call, I forgot that part.
    97ChevyECSB,350,Dropped,All Poly,RearSwayBar,Headers,Flow50s,ZZ4Cam,ZEX,Nelson Hot Tune,915Beehives,1.6rollers,
    Port,Polish+Bowlblend,TBmods,plenumspacer,CAI,
    Built60E,3000stall,Transgo,MegaShifter+more.
    2004 Chevy CCSB 4x4 w/ K+N F.I.P.K, more to come
    1972 Pontiac LeMans 406cid

REAL TRUCKS GOT 8 CYLNDRS slowrollin93's Avatar

Here is how i did it. When to autozone bought 2 of there 2.5X18" exhaust extension and got the exhaust expander from there loan a tool thing. Went home busted out the sawzal with a metal cutting blade and cut the cats right at the front as close to the front of the converters as i could get. Then i pulled the y pipe the rest of the way off. I used a hamer and a bight flat tip screw driver and removed all the honeycomb and **** from the inside. I then used the exhaust expander tool to expand the front of the converter enough to fit the exhaust extension i had bought in and slid it as far as it would go and hammered it in some more. Put the y pipe back on and sliped the expanded ends of the exhaust extensions over were i had just the pipes the first time put some exhaust clamps on it and drove to the muffler shop and had them weld the pipes up. looks like the cats have never been touched and sounds incredible. Passed emissions in january too.

Jon
    2000 Silverado RCSB 5.3l T56 conv.
    K&N FPIK intake, SPINTECKS, full length headers, nelson's 93 tune, ls1 fans, and 100 shot
    8.725 @ 81mph 2.07 60ft on the 1/8th squeezin
    9.699 @ 72mph 2.14 60ft strait motor
    times are before headers, fans, and 6 speed

You dont neccessarily have to cut it out and then gut it and then reweld. i gutted mine while it was still in the truck i didnt cut or remove any part of my exhaust. Where the two havles of your exhaust come together just unbolt the two bolts and slide the two halves apart. hole the back one toward the frame with a piece of wire. then get about an inch diamater piece of pipe, tube or i used a crowbar and that worked great and just start beating the heck out f the insides. You will feel like your getting nowhere but if you hit it enough(i prolly rammed that crowbar in there at least 150 times and i got really tired) the pieces will start to fall out. start up your truck everyone in a while to blow all the crap out. Just be careful not to go in to far to hit the o2 sensor. it gives it a unique tone when your exhaust flows through that empty cannister. hopefully i helped

thanks for all of the advice, i'll try to work on it this weekend and see if i can get something done.