GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Headers and better gas mileage??

This is a discussion on Headers and better gas mileage?? within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Do they make you have better gas mileage?? Or is it worse?? This is on a vortec....

formerly 133

Headers and better gas mileage??

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Do they make you have better gas mileage?? Or is it worse?? This is on a vortec.
    04 Sierra-LM7

Waiting on spring, Needs to be faster! Just ask TheBigBlackHD-

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBlackHD View Post
    no no no no no no no no nO NO NO NO NO! Please NO! I cant be "the guy whos truck got beat by the guys truck with the camo headliner"!

Talking Re: Headers and better gas mileage??

Quote Originally Posted by 133
    Do they make you have better gas mileage?? Or is it worse?? This is on a vortec.
    of course they help you may notice a slight difference in performance too! headers are lighter then the stock exhaust manifold plus with each individual tube for each exhuast port from the cylinder head it flows more freely plus you here that wonderful exhaust sounds only thing is that if you are using them on just a stock motor and have no plans of any other mods then just go with a header with no more then 1 5/8 diameter tubes anything more your gonna bog down big time that would be simply to much header for a stock motor! I would think that would apply to the vortec engines also!I put on shorty headers on my 90 chevy 5.7 and they worked wonders on power and ecomomy.

Re: Headers and better gas mileage??

all '88 thru '98 OBS trucks will benefit from shorty headers. You would see an increase in gas mileage and performance, and it would be maximized with other exhaust mods as well. Add on a high flow cat set up and a good catback and you'd see a definate gain.

1995 K1500, 350, NV4500, 9.5" rear axle
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0 - 361/385 Stock Cortex Tuned

Yes headers help,get ceramic coated. Lighter,noisier and let the engine breath better.

24 empty tubes, BUD time! kcn6829's Avatar

Edelbrock shorties are some of the best direct fit made, the Ti-Tech coating is nearly industructable. I am very pleased with mine after about five years.

As previously suggested, this would be a good time for a hi-flo cat and new cat back exhaust system.

Fuel Economy is of course in directly porportional to gas pedal application ;-)

HTH

Ryk
    Wrenchin HABU & Missiles 35+ Years
    93 GMC K1500 ext
    5.7 250K+