GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

No knock sensor in 1987 454 TBI??

This is a discussion on No knock sensor in 1987 454 TBI?? within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I am rebuilding the motor in my 1987 Chevy R30 1 ton 454 dually crewcab pickup, which is the first ...

No knock sensor in 1987 454 TBI??

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I am rebuilding the motor in my 1987 Chevy R30 1 ton 454 dually crewcab pickup, which is the first year of TBI in trucks, and I'm very confused about the knock sensor!!

The knock sensor in this block should be at the bottom of the block on the left hand side (looking from the front) at the front corner. On my engine, there is a blanking bolt in its place. No problem I thought, I'll get a replacement knock sensor, and wire it in where it should be.

I then consulted the full wiring diagram for the engine, I have a full dealer large sprial set of wiring diagrams, including all motor wiring. The diagrams list all the ECU connections, MAP, TPS, Oxygen sensor, but, guess what, no Knock Sensor is in the diagram either!!!!

My truck definitely has the 1227747 ECU, and TBI injectors etc, MAP sensor, 02 sensor etc etc, but now I'm confused about the knock sensor. Does the 1987 TBI not have one?? There is no wiring for one, and a blanking stud in the block.

Can anybody shed any light on this???

Thanks.
    1987 Chevy R30 454 cu in Crewcab Pickup, Hedman headers & Edelbrock Fuel Injection

Re: No knock sensor in 1987 454 TBI??

To clarify what I'm asking: is it correct that early versions of the '7747 implementation do purposefully not include an ESC module and knock sensor, i.e. there is no retarding, and the only feedback loop is the O2 sensor??
    Last edited by yorkshirespud; 02-27-2007 at 05:43 AM.
    1987 Chevy R30 454 cu in Crewcab Pickup, Hedman headers & Edelbrock Fuel Injection

Re: No knock sensor in 1987 454 TBI??

The guys over that thirdgen.org came up with an answer for this one, so thought I'd post a link in case it is useful informatino for anyone:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/di...or-1987-a.html