If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Whats your timing set at on your 5.7L?

This is a discussion on Whats your timing set at on your 5.7L? within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by claviz13 So is it even necessary to disconnect that wire? Can't you just advance it via distributor ...

Re: Whats your timing set at on your 5.7L?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Quote Originally Posted by claviz13
    So is it even necessary to disconnect that wire? Can't you just advance it via distributor until you achieve the desired results "like the old days". Sure, you won't know exactly what your base timing is but really who cares.
    No, because the ECM will try to correct it; on the other hand, you can advance the timing by changing the vaule in the prom
    1985 IROC-Z 406 Super Ram. 36 lbs injectors, BBK fuel pressure regulator, Walbro 255HP pump. 700r4 tougher than what you think. Alto Red Eagle cluches, 9 pack, TransGO yo yo, Vette servo, and TCI 10" lock up converter with 3600 stall, and much more. 11.2@128MPH
    1997 Silverado Z71

I tried to advance the timing in my 94 today, but someone said i could not becase it was electronically controlled, i can advance it, cant i?

Can someone post up pictures. I have a 96 and am really confused but want to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman12
    Can someone post up pictures. I have a 96 and am really confused but want to do this.
    96 is a VORTEC(unless you have the MEXICO version), and is a different demon all together. What they are refferring to is the base timing setting. GM uses a standard distributor to send all of the crank reference to the ECM for injector and spark timing on the 87-95. There is a wire that you unplug and it reverts the timing back to what is called base setting so that you can set the distributor to the spot that the ECM is programmed for. GM used 0 as the base setting on the TBI trucks, and what others are talking about doing is advancing the distributors base setting. Since the ECM only reads from the distributor, this will advance the timing across the entire RPM range or until the knock sensor pulls the timing away due to detonation from advanced timing. On a 96 it still uses a sensor in the distributor, but there is also a crank sensor mounted in the timing cover to tell the ECM where the crankshafts position is. On the VORTECS advancing the distributor will simply cause a code to be set(if you past a certain point) and not change the timing as the ECM reads the cranks sensor and uses the distributors sensor to simply tell the ECM when #1 is up.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN, DURAMAX/ALLISON, 3.42 gears, 261 T-case, ALTO's for C1-C4, PI ML converter, DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump, pump rub kit.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sho...URAMAX-ALLISON

Thanks for the info. But can someone tell me how to do it?

post # 10 of this thread tells you haow to stab the dizzy in a 96-2002 L31 Vortec 350.

http://www.monodax.com/forums/tunerc...1345-code.html

peace
    PAuly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly
    post # 10 of this thread tells you haow to stab the dizzy in a 96-2002 L31 Vortec 350.

http://www.monodax.com/forums/tunerc...1345-code.html

peace
    PAuly
    question so changing a distributor in a L31 you dont need a timing light to set anything or advance anything just drop in and line up with the "8" on the housing thats it ?

i am running about 20 advanced. I have a highly modified motor tho.

9 base, 34 WOT
    91 K1500 ECSB
    LQ4/80E/241/60/14SF/4.88/38s
    98 2Dr Tahoe
    L31/0411/60E/241/4.10/285s
    EFILive

Quote Originally Posted by jdnz28
    question so changing a distributor in a L31 you dont need a timing light to set anything or advance anything just drop in and line up with the "8" on the housing thats it ?
    No a timing light isnt needed, but a scan tool is to set the final CMP retard. Camshaft position sensor retard.

Yopu amy get lucky and not get a code, but you wont get a code unless you are plus or minus 11. The official spec you are looking for is plus or minus 2 on the scan tool.

peace
    PAuly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Supporting Gold Member GreaseDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justin
    If you've got the big plastic junction box on the passenger side of the firewall, then the connector will be back there. If not, then it's behind the glove box. Look for a single tan wire with a connector on it. It may or may not be in a loom. Under the hood I believe it is a tan wire with a black stripe, behind the glove box, I believe it's either a purple wire, or the same tan/black as underhood.

Justin
    its tan with a black tracer, and just because you have the underhood junction box, doesnt mean the connector will be there. my 93, and both of the 94 harnesses have it under the dash, and all 3 trucks have the underhood junction box.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

TEE

Yep...tan and black wire with a connecter.

subscribe

1988-1995 truck engines, 4.3, 5.0 and 5.7 are throttle body. they are the only ones that you can manually adjust the timing, distributor wise, with no electronics. after those years, 1996 and up, you get into the MPI and CSFI injected motors that are computer controlled.

OOBS, it is by the brake booster
    OBS 88-92 is under the plastic cover on the pass. side of the firewall
    OBS 93-95 is taped to the harness the runs past the blower motor, under the glovebox
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

It's What Lurks Within...

Another classic brought back from the dead for all to enjoy...........

its a dark tan with black stripe wire. underhood passenger side behind the plastic cover in or near the loom down by the engine.

wire diagram:

http://i40.tinypic.com/330d6y9.jpg
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Ok, I've never done timing, so just to verify, hook up the timing light, use the timing marks on the crank, and turn the dizzy until the mark moves the desired amount counter-clockwise?
    1999 Chevrolet K2500, Crew Cab, Short Box, 4L80E, 454 ci, 3.73 rear 14b FF 10.5"
    Working on my own custom tune with EFI Live.

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

TBI engines like your 1995...with the engine WARMED UP and off, disconnect the tan/black wire everyone has been talking about - on your 1995 it will be under the dash near the glovebox, possibly hidden still taped up with the factory harness.

Connect timing light pickup to #1 spark plug wire, far away as possible from other wires, and avoiding touching the exhaust manifold. It helps to find the mark on the balancer ahead of time and highlight it with a metal marker, paint pen, grease pencil, chalk, anything. Also helps to wipe the crud off the timing tab so you can see the numbers. Start engine, if your timing light is a dialback type set the dial for zero, then adjust distributor -either direction as needed- until the mark on the balancer shows up in the crook of the largest point on your timing tab, which is zero. In this pic the mark is sitting at about 1 degree BTDC:

On a TBI small block, zero is factory spec. Some have advanced it to 2, 4 degrees, as I have...though recently from someone else mentioning that even at those numbers, on regular grade fuel, you can get a little spark knock which will cause the PCM to retard the timing. With mine at 2 degrees I drove around with a scanner connected and saw proof of this. So...your choice. I'll probably set mine back to zero next time I'm in there.

Anyway, set your timing, snug the distributor down, don't overtighten as you can crack the intake - but definitely make sure it's tight as you don't want the distributor walking around later. Check timing again to be sure it didn't move when you snugged it down. Shut engine off, reconnect tan/black wire, done. Some will say you need to clear codes after this but I've never had a problem with it; even if the code hung around it would clear itself after a few subsequent starts.

Richard
    Last edited by someotherguy; 06-12-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123