GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

350 NEW cam ! - Timing - HELP

This is a discussion on 350 NEW cam ! - Timing - HELP within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; okay, I just got the cam installed a few days ago, when the timing was set as before, it sounded ...

Tbi-MAX

350 NEW cam ! - Timing - HELP

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    okay, I just got the cam installed a few days ago, when the timing was set as before, it sounded so good, and strong, but somehow we went back into it, and crossed 1 of the plug wires... so we messed with the timing to try to correct the missing...

now that I have the plug wire correctly firing, I need to change my timing to whats best now. what is advisable? BTC or ATC? and how many degrees or so..

what are you guys runing on the TBI? I have no clue what I was set at b4, but it did perform sweet.

currently, it feels like the computer is pulling the timing back under 25mph... im not sure, but It feels like the timming can be tighter...

I need Answers quickly, I have to take it to my mechanic, I need to till him what you guys recomend!

here is the swap:
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...d.php?t=258826
    Last edited by Tbi-MAX; 04-06-2007 at 09:21 PM.

Re: 350 NEW cam ! - Timing - HELP

You do know that there is a connector that is near the back of the engine on the passenger side that has to be unplugged before setting the timing? Mine was hiding somewhere behind the big bundle of wires I think.

Factory spec for my '90 c1500 is 0 degrees BTDC - check your sticker. It is probably 0 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbi-MAX
    Right now the timing is not correct, so Ill be working on that the next day. It was just adjusted incorrectly, while I had 2 plug wires crossed. but its firing correctly now. so now the timing must be re-adjusted again to suit...
    How does that affect your timing??? Mixing up a couple plug wires has absolutely nothing to do with timing...
    Last edited by Fracture; 04-08-2007 at 09:53 PM.

I'd set it at Zero to start with. If you installed a new timing set which you should have then Zero should be fine, at least to get a baseline and get a feel for how it should run. If you didn't install a new timing set then I'd try about 3 degrees advanced to account for cam chain stretch. You always want it at Zero or advanced, never retarded. And yes disconnect the brown wire with a black stripe up by the relays on the firewall if its an 88-94 or if its a 95, down by the blower motor.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

ill be doing that same cam swap as soon as summit sends me my damn lifters! sent the cam but no lifters! that doesnt do me any good now does it! i need to tune into tbi-max progress so my install can b easier! lol

Born and Raised Chevrolet YenkoST's Avatar

I've always done 6 degrees advanced by the dizzy on a new engine. My TBI 383 and HSR seemed to be happy there.

1990 Chevrolet C1500 Sport
    *The Hot Rod
    2011 Chevrolet Silverado 6.2L
    *Airaid MIT, Custom 2.5" true dual exhaust, 2/4 lowering kit, HIDs 4300k, HP Tuners
    2012 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L
    *Airaid CAI, HIDs 4300k, HP Tuners...soon to be lowered

Tbi-MAX

Quote Originally Posted by oldred95
    I'd set it at Zero to start with. If you installed a new timing set which you should have then Zero should be fine, at least to get a baseline and get a feel for how it should run. If you didn't install a new timing set then I'd try about 3 degrees advanced to account for cam chain stretch. You always want it at Zero or advanced, never retarded. And yes disconnect the brown wire with a black stripe up by the relays on the firewall if its an 88-94 or if its a 95, down by the blower motor.

yepp, oldred is exactly correct, on my 95 it was between the blower motor on the inside...

what my mechanic did was set my timing at 4BTC then we disconnected the brown wire on the inside...
    the engine then bogged down, and caught it self...
    we then turned the distributor and tightned it down, then replug the wire, then restarted the engine...

it was a entire different beast... burnt some tire, backing out of the garage after that...

It now has gops of power down low... and all the way high up top.. it really pulls hard!

now I cant wait for a custom tune...

all in all, 4BTC is what we did... but if its a better position or setting please make that clear... but I can really tell a huge difference now...