GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Chevy 357 Old School Engine Rebuild w/ pics

This is a discussion on Chevy 357 Old School Engine Rebuild w/ pics within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I am going old school on this engine. Chevy Orange! This engine started out as a 200,000+ miles motor. The ...

Remember the 343 and 9/11 Chevyman247's Avatar

Exclamation Chevy 357 Old School Engine Rebuild w/ pics

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I am going old school on this engine. Chevy Orange! This engine started out as a 200,000+ miles motor. The engine specs are on this thread http://fullsizechevy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273941 This is not supposted to be a High Horespower at high rev engine. This is supposted to be a good Low end torque motor. I am using the TBI heads for a number of reasons, The TBI heads's power band is in the idle to 4 or 5K then they are no good above that. Well that is what my cam powerband will be. and my buget wont allow vortecs. Also my machineist has informed me that the TBI heads at low rpms will make more torque than the famed vortec heads, And I belive that Fast305 can back me up on that, my machienist knows what he is talking about because he has been in the buissness for 40 yrs. and is the most recomended in lake county. I also did a 3 angle valve job and put stainless steel valves in the heads too. Hate Me for using the TBI heads. come on HATE ME!! and dont forget to hate me for using a carb too!! cause thats whats going on it, dont like the idea of using carb? quit reading and leave this thread.:rant done: Pics in a little bit.
    Last edited by Chevyman247; 07-14-2007 at 12:22 PM.
    Sold--> New Truck -->

I am a GMC Man Now!

Re: Chevy 357 Old School Engine Rebuild w/ pics

Here is a teaser, I just poped everything together for yall to see what its going to look like. I am going to put the internals in tonight.

Here is what It used to look like. All gunky, that is 200k miles and its unbeliveable that it ran so good.

I sawed these suckers right off. I dont need these anymore!! Who wants them, 5 bucks a piece + shipping!!

Last edited by Chevyman247; 07-14-2007 at 12:51 PM.
    Sold--> New Truck -->

I am a GMC Man Now!

Nice!!
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Header painting, hanging them is about the best way to do it. I painted some 1200 degree paint on them, 2 coats.

If anybody wants this peice of Fuel Infection, make me an offer, what you see is what you get( manifold, TBI ,comp comtrolled dissy., Sold AS IS no returns, was running when removed. you pay shipping.
    Last edited by Chevyman247; 07-14-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    Sold--> New Truck -->

I am a GMC Man Now!

Theres More to come!
    any questions or comments?
    Last edited by Chevyman247; 07-14-2007 at 02:39 PM.
    Sold--> New Truck -->

I am a GMC Man Now!

looking good chevy man keep up the good work.

don't worry so much about the haters they were raised to like the smell of sh!t!!!

thats why they like give people so much of it .
    Last edited by 383 silverado; 07-15-2007 at 12:13 PM.

383 silverado 2500 , 4l80e, bassani shorties, coming soon 411 pcm swap & 4.88 gears

What are you using in place of the throttle body? Any pics of whats going on top.

Manbearpig

subscribed
    Looks awesome!

Are you using the stock electric fuel pump with a regulator to fuel the carb or,are you bolting on a mechanical pump? that is if your block will accept one.
    '08 Silverado ECSB

:Update:
    I will begin assembly tomrrow afternoon, today I replaced the engine mount bushings and they were so worn down that when I took them out they fell apart. I just got done pulling and replacing the crank gear with a double row one I am not sure If I put it on backwords or not but i will find out in assembly. Yes, my block will accept a mechanical fuel pump but I am going to use a regulator.

I will post pics of assembly tomrrow.

old motor bushings with new poly one

600cfm holley 4 barrel http://holley.com/0-80457S.asp

A 65k volt HEI distribuitor

Triple chrome plated Holley air cleaner

Carb spacer

Return style Fuel Pressure regulator

Last edited by Chevyman247; 07-14-2007 at 09:52 PM.
    Sold--> New Truck -->

I am a GMC Man Now!

Curt 1992 chevy 5.7l

looks great love the idea and keep up the good work...peace
    92 5.9l full roller,fully forged,scatt crank.AFR 190cc heads,Crane 2032cam,nv3500,S2 6 Puck clutch.Hurst Short Shifter,14-bolt,auburn 4.11.Carbed

I only got the crank and rear main seal in today, also figured out the pistion rings and assembled all the pisions. I will install the pistions tomrrow morning. Then I guess slide the cam in, install the lifters, timing chain, Oil pump, torque the heads down, rocker arms, push rods, oil pan, intake. I am guessing thats everything I will have to do? also I heard that you should turn the pistion rings so the gaps are on oppisite sides of the pisions so that blow by will be reduced and compression will be increased. Is this true?

Last edited by Chevyman247; 07-15-2007 at 10:16 PM.
    Sold--> New Truck -->

I am a GMC Man Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman247
    I only got the crank and rear main seal in today, also figured out the pistion rings and assembled all the pisions. I will install the pistions tomrrow morning. Then I guess slide the cam in, install the lifters, timing chain, Oil pump, torque the heads down, rocker arms, push rods, oil pan, intake. I am guessing thats everything I will have to do? also I heard that you should turn the pistion rings so the gaps are on oppisite sides of the pisions so that blow by will be reduced and compression will be increased. Is this true?
    that is correct my friend you off set the rings left right left also i would recommend to put a little dab of gasket silicone at the 4 corners of the gaskets to prevent oil leaks.don't forget that there is a certain sequence to torquing the heads from the center out just in case you didn't know. you will need a good breakin oil something like brad penn racing oil or shell rotella t diesel oil.

people are now using diesel engine oils like Shell Rotella t and racing oils like Amsoil 20W-50 Series 2000 or brad penn because they seem to be the only oils left with enough ZDDP for flat tappet cams, (Zinc dialkyl dithio phosphate )

383 silverado 2500 , 4l80e, bassani shorties, coming soon 411 pcm swap & 4.88 gears

Which gaskets are you talking about, head gaskets? Yes I have a book on rebuilding the chevy 350 and it has a diagram of proper torquing of the heads. and I am using Melling Mell-Lube engine asembly lube and cam break-in lube. I would think that the rings would be moving all around during operation. but I guess It dosent cost me anything so I will do it.
    Sold--> New Truck -->

I am a GMC Man Now!

I think he was talking about the oil pan gasket. I used the rotella diesel oil on my break in. I ran it for the cam break in, drained it and new filter, ran that oil for 50 miles, and changed it and the filter. Then I changed it all again at 250 miles. I put regular oil in then. Oil and filters are cheap insurance.

It looks like it is coming together well. I wish I had the guts to tear into my truck at your age. My 4.3 looked much like yours did after 250k miles.

I finally got to post some pics for the fuel pump wiring in the other thread.

Good Luck!
    1991 Chevy Step
    383 Stroker
    397 HP 440 TQ

Ya thanks for the pics, I am 17 and do all the work needed on my truck. I am very confedent in my abilty to work on things. I guess that is just not normal for a 17 yr. old. and another reason for rebuilding this engine is because I need a reliable truck to drive to fire school in January.
    Sold--> New Truck -->

I am a GMC Man Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Dock Rocker
    I think he was talking about the oil pan gasket.

sorry about that, yes i was talking about the oil pan gaskets. if there is ever an oil leak thats where it will come from those 4 corners. also put some in the front and rear corners where the manifold meets the block.

Looking good! Nice to see you are jumping right in. Gonna have to keep an eye on this thread.

'92 K1500 RCSB, '92 K1500 ECSB, Sold: '93 C1500 ECSB

Quote Originally Posted by 383 silverado
    sorry about that, yes i was talking about the oil pan gaskets. if there is ever an oil leak thats where it will come from those 4 corners. also put some in the front and rear corners where the manifold meets the block.
    Just get the one piece oil pan gasket. I also use just silicone for my end gaskets on the intake. Just let them set up for a few minutes and install the intake.
    Are you using a new cam? If you are do you know how to break it in on the first motor start?

yes I know the proper break in for a cam. and I have a felpro kit that has a one piece oil pan gasket. one question, do the head gaskets go on dry? they appear to have steel in them.
    Last edited by Chevyman247; 07-16-2007 at 08:36 PM.
    Sold--> New Truck -->

I am a GMC Man Now!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast