***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

sbc valve springs .525 lift NO MACHINING

This is a discussion on sbc valve springs .525 lift NO MACHINING within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; to many people ask this question is there a spring that requires NO MACHINING well here it is. no machining ...

sbc valve springs .525 lift NO MACHINING

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    to many people ask this question is there a spring that requires NO MACHINING well here it is.

no machining on sbc heads here's the new springs part number #26981 .525 max lift

Designed for stock diameter Small Block Chevrolet hydraulic, flat tappet or hydraulic roller cams with modest lift up to .525". This is a direct replacemenet for the old venerable 1.250" diameter 981 spring. It is designed to drop in a stock GM Small Block head with around 1.700" installed height and no machine work. The lower mass and higher frequency of the spring will outperform the standard 981.

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=
    Last edited by 383 silverado; 09-06-2007 at 07:42 PM.

383 silverado 2500 , 4l80e, bassani shorties, coming soon 411 pcm swap & 4.88 gears

Re: sbc valve springs .525 lift NO MACHINING

Thats very nice. Or for about 80 bucks you can get LT4 springs, retainers, keepers, and seals and they will handle .500 lift if not more with no machining. When working with minimal lift to me its all about the cost.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Quote Originally Posted by oldred95
    Thats very nice. Or for about 80 bucks you can get LT4 springs, retainers, keepers, and seals and they will handle .500 lift if not more with no machining. When working with minimal lift to me its all about the cost.
    wait, the LT4 springs work with vortec heads? I was under the impression that the only springs/retainers combo that would increase the total lift ability without machining were the beehive style. if you're correct, rock and roll! I'd much rather spend $80 than a couple hundred, as I'm not looking to go over .500 on my cam swap. ...although I've heard that the regular Ls1 beehive springs with the comp non-LS retainers for the 918 springs will work as well, and I suppose that would cost a bit less too.
    Last edited by Aloicious; 09-08-2007 at 05:24 AM.

1996 C1500 ECSB 5.7L AKA the "LS31", distributorless w/LS2 coils, RHS Heads, ZZ4 Cam, T56 6 speed, 12200411 PCM, 4.88s...Coming soon: forged twin turbo 383..

Quote Originally Posted by Aloicious
    wait, the LT4 springs work with vortec heads? I was under the impression that the only springs/retainers combo that would increase the total lift ability without machining were the beehive style. if you're correct, rock and roll! I'd much rather spend $80 than a couple hundred, as I'm not looking to go over .500 on my cam swap. ...although I've heard that the regular Ls1 beehive springs with the comp non-LS retainers for the 918 springs will work as well, and I suppose that would cost a bit less too.
    Well its gone about 3000 miles with the springs so I guess they work The only reason I went with them is because the stock vortec springs had 203k miles on them and I wanted new springs and be able to run more lift but not machine the heads and this was the cheapest route. I really don't know how much of a role the spring itself plays in the overall total amount of lift, I guess whenever coil bind comes into play, but really I think whats providing the room for extra lift is the shorter valve seals and retainers. I got them from GM rape you on shipping partsdirect.com and the spring kit was 40 bucks, can't remember the retainers seals and keepers though, but shipping insanely high and it may have cost more like a hundred but still not too bad.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Well its gone about 3000 miles with the springs so I guess they work The only reason I went with them is because the stock vortec springs had 203k miles on them and I wanted new springs and be able to run more lift but not machine the heads and this was the cheapest route. I really don't know how much of a role the spring itself plays in the overall total amount of lift, I guess whenever coil bind comes into play, but really I think whats providing the room for extra lift is the shorter valve seals and retainers. I got them from GM rape you on shipping partsdirect.com and the spring kit was 40 bucks, can't remember the retainers seals and keepers though, but shipping insanely high and it may have cost more like a hundred but still not too bad.
    Yeah Gmpartsdirect really screws you on shipping. I guess thats how they can 'claim' to charge the lower price then screw ya in the end. anyways, Hmm...if there was a coil bind problem I'm sure you'd probably know about it right away, so they must do something at least 'eh? it's worth looking into. I'll have to look around and see if I can find aything about them....

1996 C1500 ECSB 5.7L AKA the "LS31", distributorless w/LS2 coils, RHS Heads, ZZ4 Cam, T56 6 speed, 12200411 PCM, 4.88s...Coming soon: forged twin turbo 383..

rob

hmm... I spent a total of $58 bucks on my vortec heads, and now, I can run a cam as high as .600" lift. paid $24 to have the guides cut with the Comp Cams tool, and another $34 for a set of PBM #3200 valve springs, good for .600" lift- 120# seat, #320@1.200.

seems like the lt4 springs don't hold up very well in the higher rpm, I've seen a lot of guys with LT1's swap to 918's and pickup a good bit of power.

I tried the LS6 springs, with the LS6 shims, and a set of .050" raised valve locks on a 212/218, .523"/.528" cam. needless to say, the valves floated SOOOO bad, that the car would not pull past 6200rpm in second gear going down the road.

do it right, do it once.
    '94 Z-71
    H/C/I/LTs
    '02 z-71
    Stainless LT's/ORY, 285's
    '95 Formula
    364ci, 3spd, 3.73's

all, Tuned By:
    Bluecat
    KYHORSEPOWER.COM

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    hmm... I spent a total of $58 bucks on my vortec heads, and now, I can run a cam as high as .600" lift. paid $24 to have the guides cut with the Comp Cams tool, and another $34 for a set of PBM #3200 valve springs, good for .600" lift- 120# seat, #320@1.200.

seems like the lt4 springs don't hold up very well in the higher rpm, I've seen a lot of guys with LT1's swap to 918's and pickup a good bit of power.

I tried the LS6 springs, with the LS6 shims, and a set of .050" raised valve locks on a 212/218, .523"/.528" cam. needless to say, the valves floated SOOOO bad, that the car would not pull past 6200rpm in second gear going down the road.

do it right, do it once.

i think you are missing the point this is an option if you do not want to remove the heads.

383 silverado 2500 , 4l80e, bassani shorties, coming soon 411 pcm swap & 4.88 gears

Supporting Gold Member GreaseDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aloicious
    Yeah Gmpartsdirect really screws you on shipping. I guess thats how they can 'claim' to charge the lower price then screw ya in the end. anyways, Hmm...if there was a coil bind problem I'm sure you'd probably know about it right away, so they must do something at least 'eh? it's worth looking into. I'll have to look around and see if I can find aything about them....
    the way GMPartsDirect works... they sell you stuff at dealer cost (what your local GM Dealer can buy it for- they are an actual dealer, so that's their price) then they charge you a flat 30% on shipping, which ironically enough is wholesale price if you go to your local dealer. basically, if you have connections at a local dealership, you can get the exact same price at your local dealer. i do it all the time. its really not that bad if you're making a larger purchase, as you generally dont have to pay sales tax.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseDog
    the way GMPartsDirect works... they sell you stuff at dealer cost (what your local GM Dealer can buy it for- they are an actual dealer, so that's their price) then they charge you a flat 30% on shipping, which ironically enough is wholesale price if you go to your local dealer. basically, if you have connections at a local dealership, you can get the exact same price at your local dealer. i do it all the time. its really not that bad if you're making a larger purchase, as you generally dont have to pay sales tax.
    No you can't. I took the part numbers directly from gmpartsdirect.com to work with me and had them look up prices for me. My cost (10% over dealer cost) on the valve springs was like 115 dollars they said. Then again we have like 90% markup too.

No you can't. I took the part numbers directly from gmpartsdirect.com to work with me and had them look up prices for me. My cost (10% over dealer cost) on the valve springs was like 115 dollars they said. Then again we have like 90% markup too.
    i have access to GMSPO still, and part of that system is pricing. EVERY price i have ever seen on GMPartsDirect is dealer cost. shipping is 30%, always has been.
    Last edited by GreaseDog; 09-08-2007 at 11:09 PM.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by 383 silverado
    i think you are missing the point this is an option if you do not want to remove the heads.
    oh no, I haven't missed the point at all. I just went down this road once before on my lt1 formula. a costly, and embarrassing mistake.
    '94 Z-71
    H/C/I/LTs
    '02 z-71
    Stainless LT's/ORY, 285's
    '95 Formula
    364ci, 3spd, 3.73's

all, Tuned By:
    Bluecat
    KYHORSEPOWER.COM

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseDog
    i have access to GMSPO still, and part of that system is pricing. EVERY price i have ever seen on GMPartsDirect is dealer cost. shipping is 30%, always has been.
    I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying I gave them the exact part number for LT4 valve springs and the parts department at my work said my cost would be 115 dollars or something like that for 16 valve springs. I about chit myself. Another fine example. I asked about vortec intake gaskets for the head swap and he said my cost would be 75 bucks before tax. Needless to say I ordered some much better paper gaskets from summit and coated them with permatex 2B and if it ever does leak it would have to be from the bolts falling out.

I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying I gave them the exact part number for LT4 valve springs and the parts department at my work said my cost would be 115 dollars or something like that for 16 valve springs.
    the dealership i worked at charges 40% over cost for employee cost on parts, but 30% wholesale. you'd be surprised how many of their employees work part time at the alignment shop down the street.
    Last edited by GreaseDog; 11-17-2007 at 06:38 PM.