If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2000 Chevy Z71 performance problems

This is a discussion on 2000 Chevy Z71 performance problems within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 2000 Chevy Z71, I want to put a true dual exhuast system on it with two seperate ...

2000 Chevy Z71 performance problems

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 2000 Chevy Z71, I want to put a true dual exhuast system on it with two seperate single in-single out flowmaster 40 series. Will this damage the engine or cause any performance problems since there will be no catalytic converter?

Re: 2000 Chevy Z71 performance problems

You need to keep the cats on also need to keep the X pipe as well.Chevy has them engines designed to run on a certain amount of back pressure. and Yes it will hurt your horsepower of the engine If you run just the true duals. You should have two cats under the truck already with the X pipe. Just go from the X pipe back with the true duals.

Without the cat, you'll lose some low-end torque because of loss of backpressure. You can get O2 simulators to plug in and tell the computer all is well without the sensors or cats in place, but a better solution is a custom tune from Black Bear.

In the end, I would recommend just putting in a high flow cat and keeing your O2 sensors. Especially if you live in a state that has vehicle inspections or sniffer tests.
    1999 2 Door Tahoe 4x4 w/ 14 Bolt SF & TruTrac. All kinds of upgrades, SOLD 1/2012
    2008 Silverado 1500 Z71, leveling kit, exhaust, SOLD 9/2014
    2014 Silverado 1500 Z71, stock for now

No no no no no, no. Back pressure has nothing to do with it. Its called velocity. Without good velocity you have poor scavenging. That being said true duals on a 5.3 is going to give you terrible velocity until you get it wound out tighter then an 8 day clock.

There is not one single good reason why the stock cats should be removed unless they are bad. The only thing they will do is make it quieter, they flow quite well actually. As for will it hurt the engine? Of course not. Your foot constantly being on the floor will though.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

rob

Quote Originally Posted by oldred95
    There is not one single good reason why the stock cats should be removed unless they are bad. The only thing they will do is make it quieter, they flow quite well actually. As for will it hurt the engine? Of course not. Your foot constantly being on the floor will though.

my friend "bluecat" tuned his 04' 5.3 trailblazer, dynoed it, then cut the converter's off, and re-dynoed: lost 10ft-lbs of torque down low, and gained nothing up top.

he noticed the truck (suv, whatever...) would accept 4* more timing all across the board, after the converter removal (even on 87octane) resulting in a gain of 20ft lbs (+10 over baseline after tune) and gained 20ft-lbs on up in the RPM, with a similar amount of hp (not sure on the HP to be exact)

cutting the cats off, with out a tune is a bad idea, you'll lose torque, and gain a horrible rasp in the exhaust. with a tune? I can live with the rasp it produces for the power increase, as well as the satisfaction of knowing I no longer have emission's control equipment on my vehicle
    '94 Z-71
    H/C/I/LTs
    '02 z-71
    Stainless LT's/ORY, 285's
    '95 Formula
    364ci, 3spd, 3.73's

all, Tuned By:
    Bluecat
    KYHORSEPOWER.COM

What would have happened if he added the extra 4 of timing with the cats in place?

peace
    Pauly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

RegisteredPoorCollegeKid

I wouldn't go out of my way to get rid of cats. Good for the environment and fine for your truck.

I think the most cost effective way for true duals would be to cut the stock Y and fab up from there on out.
    MKader17

^ thats what i did.

But dont recomend true duals unless you have an x pipe.

Just go with a dual in dual out muffler...

RC leveling kit/LPP longtube headers/ Blackbear 93 tune/Helo Maxx/Super Swamper M16

1972 chevy c10, 350, RV cam, 4 barrel carb, 4bolt main, aluminun intake, tons of new parts. FOR SALE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldred95
    No no no no no, no. Back pressure has nothing to do with it. Its called velocity. Without good velocity you have poor scavenging. That being said true duals on a 5.3 is going to give you terrible velocity until you get it wound out tighter then an 8 day clock.

Agreed. Backpressure is a common myth often confused with velocity.