GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

More power for 4.8

This is a discussion on More power for 4.8 within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm thinking about adding some to my 4.8 to get some extra power out of my 05 C 1500 ecsb. ...

More power for 4.8

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I'm thinking about adding some to my 4.8 to get some extra power out of my 05 C 1500 ecsb. In the end I'd probably be happy with 300 hp to the rear wheels of my 05. I know the 4.8 isn't a big powerhouse, but I figured that 300 (or more if I can get it) rwhp isn't out of reach either with some simple upgrades (cam, headers, tune). I already have an airaid jr intake elbow, and cat back exhaust. But is there anything else that I may need to reach this? I do not plan on adding a stall b/c well the truck is my DD once again and I want it to be relatively normal (If I wanted to go all out I'd do a swap and all that, but that money is reserved for a better performance platform). Anyway does anyone have any insight on this, and am I heading in the right direction?

Thanks

Re: More power for 4.8

Dont bother with a cam if your not doing a converter. A truck that puts 300hp to the tires but is a complete dog down low is useless.

Do long tubes and bolt ons.
    2001 rcsb Z71 06 clip, lowered, 6.0 LQ9, p&p 241s, cam, PI3600, LPP long tubes, etc. Tuned by TJ of Baker Engineering Inc - SOLD
    1989 rcsb 4x4, solid axled, HP44/14ff, 4.88s, 35s/20s

The truck is already a dog down low, and for the cam I was just going to go with something mild that works within the stock window (1000 - 6000 rpm)... but a little more aggressive. Was looking at the XR265 cam by comp (212/218 114 Lca)...

Any other recommendations?

Edit: also came across an old post (of all people by me) on cams for this engine. Polecat recommended the G3 XFI260 HR15 cam (206/212 115 Lca). Any idea what extra this cam would provide over stock? Would 1.8 ratio rollers add much with this?

Just trying to get the most while using the factory converter...
    Last edited by Deuce426; 04-16-2009 at 06:52 AM.

I have a full intake, catback exhaust, and a programmer on mine, once its re-geared it will be a beast... but I am going to do some shorty headers and a supercharger....

I can help you wil a custom tune for your truck to unlock its most potential, shoot me a PM if you are interested
    Sig by xZoomerZx

I'm really good at 'Guitar Hero,' and I thought maybe I should get a guitar. Then I thought, like, I'm really good at 'Grand Theft Auto.' Maybe I should start beating up hookers

9/11/01 NEVER FORGET! gwhunter350's Avatar

custom tune FTW! best power increase for the money, nothing beats it.

blackbearperformance.com
    Black 2004 Z71 Silverado ECSB,Superlift FIT 6in Lift,35in pc XATs, 18in XD SPYs,magnaflow cat back, AEM CAI, 93 blackbear tune, 5% tint all around, and alot more

Soon to come-Efans(waiting install),cowl hood,4.56s,

RIP Jimmy Hawkins, Im gonna miss you brother
    10/16/1989-10/05/2009

Registered User smokinsilverado's Avatar

I am kind of partial to blowers, but since I doubt you may not want to spend that kind of money, something that hasn't been said is doing an efan set-up.. I am not sure what year you have so you may already have them but when my buddy switch his clutch fan to efans, it made a nice improvement that was pretty cheap

****SOLD****05 Silverado 5.3, Whipple , Nelson tune, JBA Shorties, 80mm BBK Throttle Body, 6" Tuff Country lift, Toyo MT's 35's rolling on 20" MHT Fuel Hostage Wheels, Eclipse Avn62D Navi with 2 small 8's

AmericanZ71

Quote Originally Posted by 1989K1500
    Dont bother with a cam if your not doing a converter. A truck that puts 300hp to the tires but is a complete dog down low is useless.

Do long tubes and bolt ons.
    Negative ghost rider.

Simple bolt ons, exhaust, easy stuff like that will be difficult getting 300 horses to the tires.

A custom tune is by far the best bang for the buck, but it still won't get you to 300.

A blower / turbo will absolutely annihilate your stock motor, rear end and tranny. Stay away from them unless you have the money to beef your shít up.

I say do a very moderate cam and keep it all of it's components stock, remachine the heads, long tubes, free flowing exhaust and custom tune it. Don't mess with CAI's or any of that. It's better throttle response and a neat sound. That may get you 300 or very close to 300 to the wheels with very good gas mileage
    Last edited by AmericanZ71; 04-16-2009 at 12:20 AM.

Already have E fans... came stock in 05

Thanks Z71. I already have some of the simple bolt ons... catback exhaust (still need headers) and just the airaid intake elbow. I know I need a tune to take full advantage of this but it will not get me where I'd like to be (will get a tune if/when I do a cam, if I dont get a cam will get a tune anyway).

Forced induction, yeah would be fun, but I'm going to put that money into a 5th gen vette...

I'm just looking to add a little extra without throwing too much money at it. Trucks are fun, but not the best platforms for speed. This is why I hopefully am trying to keep it realistic. I'm just looking for the best cam I can use with the stock torque converter (not a fan of stall's for a daily driver).
    Last edited by Deuce426; 04-16-2009 at 06:52 AM.

http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...csid=1084&sb=2

a cam you can use retaining stock converter, and see improvements.
    Longtubes, and custom tune. Re-gear if taller wheels (larger diameter) were added.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanZ71
    Negative ghost rider.

Simple bolt ons, exhaust, easy stuff like that will be difficult getting 300 horses to the tires.

A blower / turbo will absolutely annihilate your stock motor, rear end and tranny. Stay away from them unless you have the money to beef your shít up.
    Seriously, next time you have a thought, just let it go.

I didnt say it would make 300 to the tires, but it will be a lot quicker than it is now. I'll say it again, a truck that does 300 to the tires but is a dog out of the hole is useless.

Again, just stop spreading your false info. A supercharger or turbo will not hurt the motor, the trans will need a shift kit and servos, and a new carrier in the rear end. That will hold more power than he is going to make.
    2001 rcsb Z71 06 clip, lowered, 6.0 LQ9, p&p 241s, cam, PI3600, LPP long tubes, etc. Tuned by TJ of Baker Engineering Inc - SOLD
    1989 rcsb 4x4, solid axled, HP44/14ff, 4.88s, 35s/20s

a supercharger is fine
    Black 2004 Z71 Silverado ECSB,Superlift FIT 6in Lift,35in pc XATs, 18in XD SPYs,magnaflow cat back, AEM CAI, 93 blackbear tune, 5% tint all around, and alot more

10/16/1989-10/05/2009

Registered User smokinsilverado's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce426
    Already have E fans... came stock in 05

Thanks Z71. I already have some of the simple bolt ons... catback exhaust (still need headers) and just the airaid intake elbow. I know I need a tune to take full advantage of this but it will not get me where I'd like to be (will get a tune if/when I do a cam, if I dont get a cam will get a tune anyway).

Forced induction, yeah would be fun, but I'm going to put that money into a 5th gen vette...

I'm just looking to add a little extra without throwing too much money at it. Trucks are fun, but not the best platforms for speed. This is why I hopefully am trying to keep it realistic. I'm just looking for the best cam I can use with the stock torque converter (not a fan of stall's for a daily driver).
    That's cool about getting the Vette I can understand not wanting to spend the money on a blower... You just can't beat the sound of a blower.

****SOLD****05 Silverado 5.3, Whipple , Nelson tune, JBA Shorties, 80mm BBK Throttle Body, 6" Tuff Country lift, Toyo MT's 35's rolling on 20" MHT Fuel Hostage Wheels, Eclipse Avn62D Navi with 2 small 8's

haha good i love that sound, i literally get excited lol....one day soon my truck will be s/c'd or i will get a rcsb 2wd 5.3l and s/c that

10/16/1989-10/05/2009

I can do the custom tune and get you a great deal on all the bolt on goodies... shoot me a PM if you want some prices...

I wanna see what my truck does next week when I put 4.88 gears in it... it should be a beast..LOL
    Sig by xZoomerZx

I'm really good at 'Guitar Hero,' and I thought maybe I should get a guitar. Then I thought, like, I'm really good at 'Grand Theft Auto.' Maybe I should start beating up hookers