If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

TBI Open Air Filter Element Mod

This is a discussion on TBI Open Air Filter Element Mod within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I got rid of the stock air box on my '88 the other day. AutoZone had 14" Edelbrock open element ...

TBI Open Air Filter Element Mod

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I got rid of the stock air box on my '88 the other day. AutoZone had 14" Edelbrock open element air cleaners in stock so I picked one up and did a test fit. Everything fit after I replaced the mounting gaskets for the stock air filter and spacer. I drove it for a day and was impressed. Seat of the pants dyno noticed a difference as well as a difference in sound. After some research, I found a stock paper filter that was taller than the Edelbrock one. After modifying the air cleaner stud the new filter fit like a glove. It looks a lot better too, IMO, but here are a couple pics.

1st...

2nd...

Supporting Gold Member GreaseDog's Avatar

Re: TBI Open Air Filter Element Mod

now get rid of that stupid restrictive air cleaner spacer and really see a difference over stock.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

Not sure if I can do that. The air cleaner base is close to the ignition control module on the passenger side. I'll take a look at it later and see what I can do.

New to this chevy thing..

what air cleaner spacer are you referring to?

There is a choke collar above the TB that needs to be ditched for more power. A vent tube runs to it from the driver's side valve cover, pop a breather in there and you are good to go.

91 RCSB C1500 4.3 4L60 Cash for Clunkered 8/3/09
    09 Ford Mustang Bullitt #5998 Brenspeed Tune, LCAs. 13.35 @104.3
    94 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra ModdedSOLD 9/4/08

New to this chevy thing..

ok--this is why i am on here. is there a visual aid that will help teach me how it restricts air. i dont see how it would interfere, or how you could put the filter housing back on without the collar. again, i am not doubting you, i would just like to understand better.

Question Re: TBI Open Air Filter Element Mod

Hey Hornsfan,post a pic.I would like to see what you guys are talking about.

This is the only picture I could find on Google that shows it.

Look just to the left of the injectors. See the hose running out and to the bottom of the picture? That is attached to basically a 'choke collar' sitting on top of the TBI. Your air filter sits directly on top of. All you have to do is pick it up and throw it in the trash. Put a little breather in the hole on the valve cover where the hose ran to.

- 1993 C1500 - 5.3L/4L60E Swap - 3/5 Hotchkis - '96 Interior - Tuned by EPS -
    - 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE - Borla - 1" Eibach Drop - Roto Fab Intake - Katzkins Interior -

Smile Re: TBI Open Air Filter Element Mod

Thanks SimpleGreen,1 more ?,should the small pipe outside TB be capped off since were ditchin the OE breather?I'm currently running a Volant CAI w/ Ultimate TBI mods.Think I'll give it a try.Might just like it.
    Nice truck by the way

I'm wondering if you have to relocate the control module if you remove the collar. Maybe I'll snap a couple pics of my set up this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by hornsfan10609 View Post
    There is a choke collar above the TB that needs to be ditched for more power. A vent tube runs to it from the driver's side valve cover, pop a breather in there and you are good to go.
    I've been hearing about removing this for a long time, but until your post no one has made it clear enough for myself to understand, i'm kinda retarded but you made it perfectly clear, thanks dude! I can't wait to install a real open element filter and remove the collar on the Sierra, needs all the help it can get.
    Last edited by SierraDan; 06-02-2009 at 10:37 AM.

95 Sierra C1500 SL
    99 Suburban K1500 LT

Quote Originally Posted by 88Vic View Post
    I've been hearing about removing this for a long time, but until your post no one has made it clear enough for myself to understand, i'm kinda retarded but you made it perfectly clear, thanks dude! I can't wait to install a real open element filter and remove the collar on the Sierra, needs all the help it can get.
    Glad I could help, here's a pic of my setup:
    and here is the TB with the choke collar still on it:

91 RCSB C1500 4.3 4L60 Cash for Clunkered 8/3/09
    09 Ford Mustang Bullitt #5998 Brenspeed Tune, LCAs. 13.35 @104.3
    94 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra ModdedSOLD 9/4/08

Are you guy talking about the pcv valve/hose?From the intake pic above that's
    what I get.HMMM.This is what I'm looking at.Little lost here.

JoshTheCanadian

Quote Originally Posted by narizon View Post
    Are you guy talking about the pcv valve/hose?From the intake pic above that's
    what I get.HMMM.This is what I'm looking at.Little lost here.

the driver side valve cover. the hose coming out of it. take it off and get a $5 breather. like this.

Last edited by JoshTheCanadian; 06-02-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Will do.It makes sense to cap off the inlet going to the CAI=no oil vapors into TB.Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangette View Post
    the driver side valve cover. the hose coming out of it. take it off and get a $5 breather. like this.

You guys that took the choke collar off, what size breather did you have to buy for the valve cover?

JoshTheCanadian

Quote Originally Posted by MeanGreen95 View Post
    You guys that took the choke collar off, what size breather did you have to buy for the valve cover?
    i cant remember but its super small, i just took off the plastic pipe and the dude in the store measured it and they had like 10 there but they where all to big so they ended up ordering it and it was under $10 Canadian by the time i was done.
    Last edited by JoshTheCanadian; 06-02-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangette View Post
    i cant remember but its super small, i just took off the plastic pipe and the dude in the store measured it and they had like 10 there but they where all to big so they ended up ordering it and it was under $10 Canadian by the time i was done.
    I measured the stock pipe coming out of the valve cover and its 1/2" OD. I picked up something else that might work but ill take it back if I can find one for less than $10 US.

I have these breathers on my 350 and love them. They fit the grommets in factory TBI valve covers perfect. Autozone sells them in a few colors.

- 1993 C1500 - 5.3L/4L60E Swap - 3/5 Hotchkis - '96 Interior - Tuned by EPS -
    - 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE - Borla - 1" Eibach Drop - Roto Fab Intake - Katzkins Interior -

Is there any way to eliminate the choke collar and still draw cooler air from the fender? I tried to take out my collar tonight with my stock intake and it hit something behind it. I even have a CFM-tech TB spacer... Was there a year that had a different base on the air cleaner?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast