GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

5.7L to 6.0L swap

This is a discussion on 5.7L to 6.0L swap within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I need some advice. i am thinking about pulling my 5.7L out of my '96 C2500 and replacing it with ...

5.7L to 6.0L swap

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I need some advice. i am thinking about pulling my 5.7L out of my '96 C2500 and replacing it with a 6.0L from a newer truck. my current engine is tired and worn out. other than the harness and brain box, what else should i consider?

Re: 5.7L to 6.0L swap

Automatic trans? 4l60E or 4l80E?

I don't know about the 80E, but the 60E uses a different bellhousing between the old SBC & the LS based V8's.

The bolt pattern is the same, however the depth is different. As is the flexplate and you'll need a LS type torque converter... I think there are adapter kits out there.

My swap is reverse, I used a newer LSx type 4L60E behind my 350 SBC and had a custom torque converter made for that swap.

4L80E trans

There's nothing wrong with a 6.0, as long as you get a custom tune from Black Bear. It'll make the stock 350 seem pretty weak then.

As was mentioned above, the bellhousing will line up (except for one bolt, which doesn't exist on the GEN III engines). You will also need a crank spacer to bolt up to your old transmission.

Obviously exhaust and engine mounts will have to be revamped as well.
    1999 2 Door Tahoe 4x4 w/ 14 Bolt SF & TruTrac. Corvette servo, Gibson cat-back, custom tune from Black Bear, AD244 alt. upgrade, Z71 skid plates, Escalade cluster, 2" block + 1.5" crank, 285/75R16 SOLD 1/2012
    2008 Silverado 1500 Z71, Borla catback, block and coil spacer

look, i have done some reading cond=cerning the 6.0. i want it because it has better gas mileage than what i have. it is also more powerful. so let me make clear what i am interested in. i want to put a 6.0 in my truck, i have a line on a good running one already for a good price. now can anybody tell me some good mods for it to get more out of it. thanks so far for the good advice that has been given so far. it has been noted and will do more research. thanks

I have done the swap before, its not to hard man, just need motor mounts and the flywheel and spacer to hook up to your tranny, gonna have to adapt the fuel lines to hook up, get a good wiring harness and computer tune, you can even make your stock throttle cable hook up, so its not to much of a problemb. Make yourself a good intake to work in there and other than a few tinky dinky things that you will have no prob finding arround town and doing yourself its pretty easy swap. Can end up more costly than what you expect though so be carefull on that. Also if you run you stock tranny its not going to last as long behind the 6.0 Go to http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ and they will have everything that you will need to do the swap, helped me alot. They even have a how to page where they have done the exact swap telling you everything that will need to be done and what parts you need here http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/Lisa%20Tahoe.pdf Hope this helps
    Praise JESUS!!!! 98 1500 scsb lowered, cowl hood, roll pan, shaved molding, tailgate handle and antena. 305 vortec , electric fans, 411 pcm swap, hp tuners, 117 shot n20, 4l80e . Super slow

Quote Originally Posted by superchomper200 View Post
    I have done the swap before, its not to hard man, just need motor mounts and the flywheel and spacer to hook up to your tranny, gonna have to adapt the fuel lines to hook up, get a good wiring harness and computer tune, you can even make your stock throttle cable hook up, so its not to much of a problemb. Make yourself a good intake to work in there and other than a few tinky dinky things that you will have no prob finding arround town and doing yourself its pretty easy swap. Can end up more costly than what you expect though so be carefull on that. Also if you run you stock tranny its not going to last as long behind the 6.0 Go to http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ and they will have everything that you will need to do the swap, helped me alot. They even have a how to page where they have done the exact swap telling you everything that will need to be done and what parts you need here http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/Lisa%20Tahoe.pdf Hope this helps
    thanks, this should help alot

Quote Originally Posted by gideon73 View Post
    look, i have done some reading cond=cerning the 6.0. i want it because it has better gas mileage than what i have. it is also more powerful. so let me make clear what i am interested in. i want to put a 6.0 in my truck, i have a line on a good running one already for a good price. now can anybody tell me some good mods for it to get more out of it. thanks so far for the good advice that has been given so far. it has been noted and will do more research. thanks
    This place makes headers for the swap.
    http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/LS1-TRUCK.htm

That plus a tune will help it a lot.

I dont knwo how much you want to spend or what you do with the truck but you could do a cam and converter also.
    2001 rcsb Z71 06 clip, lowered, 6.0 LQ9, p&p 241s, cam, PI3600, LPP long tubes, etc. Tuned by TJ of Baker Engineering Inc - SOLD
    1989 rcsb 4x4, solid axled, HP44/14ff, 4.88s, 35s/20s

Aww, this thread was cleaned up... you guys are no fun ;)

I dont know why my posts got deleted. The first post I told the guy there was a lot of info on here and to search, and they deleted that.
    2001 rcsb Z71 06 clip, lowered, 6.0 LQ9, p&p 241s, cam, PI3600, LPP long tubes, etc. Tuned by TJ of Baker Engineering Inc - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 1989K1500 View Post
    This place makes headers for the swap.
    http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/LS1-TRUCK.htm

That plus a tune will help it a lot.

I dont knwo how much you want to spend or what you do with the truck but you could do a cam and converter also.
    i have a flexable budget. what do you suggest?

What are you planning to do with the truck? Tow a lot? Just daily driving?

edit: Get those headers for sure though if you can afford to. Long tubes make a huge difference on gen III engines.
    Last edited by 1989K1500; 09-02-2009 at 10:05 PM.

i hunt and fish. it is 2 wheel drive but i plan on adding a fabtech lift kit to go with the 3 inch body lift. also i plan on installing a locker in my Gm corp. 14 bolt. i live in nevada and it isn't really hard to offroad in a 2wd truck.

So do you drive it everyday?

What gears and tires?

I would probably just do bolt ons and a tune.

Long tube headers, good exhaust, cold air intake, and a good tune would really make it nice, and wouldnt cost you that much money.

with the 3in body lift i am running 305/70r16 tires. as for the gears, they are most likely factory. i would have to go and look and see but i can't right know because i am at work(yuck). when i can i will let you know. i would like to eventually run 35's after the susp. lift. am gonna need to know what gear to run then. by the way, this truck is currently my daily driver.
    Last edited by gideon73; 09-14-2009 at 02:09 PM.