If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

98 chevy 5,7 vortec to carb

This is a discussion on 98 chevy 5,7 vortec to carb within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; My last comment was pure sarcasm... lost in translation I guess I understand why people avoid EFI, it's the same ...

WILL WORK FOR PARTS! chevy-aholic's Avatar

Re: 98 chevy 5,7 vortec to carb

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    My last comment was pure sarcasm... lost in translation I guess

I understand why people avoid EFI, it's the same reason I avoud EFI. For the motors that I have built, it would simply take too much time and effort (not to mention money) to get them to perform 100% on fuel injection. Because of this, I have turned to carbs to give me the performance I want.

Not trying to start a s*** storm guys, just sayin' there's more options than just EFI.
    Projects: (click for link)

496SS: Roots-Blown 496 BBC, Custom backhalf, Parallel 4-link, T316 Stainless exhaust "Dual Path" w/ dumps, Lots of fiberglass!!!
    "Stock appearence, Strip Performance!"

The Jeep: SOLD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    I've torn down several injected engines at 150K miles or so, most still have visible hone marks in the bores. Can't say the same for any 25K carb'd engine I ever tore down. Fuel wash down is a big problem with most carbs, even those set correctly.
    Why swap from what you have if it works?
    If you have your heart set on a 6.0, fix what you have and sell it and buy a truck originally set up for an LS. You'll be time, money and headaches ahead.
    may be several reasons you are seeing the hone marks on the FI engines vs the carb engines

1. Carb may not be properly jetted
    2. Older cars may require leaded fuel or have used leaded fuel, leaded fuel causes accelerated cylinder and ring wear, but prolongs valve life.
    3. Older cars that havent been rebuilt have had less advanced oils in them, which would also accelerate cylinder wear.

I think you are seeing a correlation, not causation.
    2003 GMC Sierra RCSB 1500 2wd, 5.3L, 3.73s w/ g80 locker

Stock 98 C1500 RCLB Vortec 305

Registered User Busted Knuckles's Avatar

Looks like with as many engines as I've torn down, I'd find at least one with a carb that still had the hone marks on the cylinder walls, but I never found a single one. Fuel went unleaded in the 70's, I've torn down a lot of late 70's blocks that never ran leaded, same results. Regardless of how good one is tuned, somebody will find a way to flood a carb'd engine If you've ever had a chance to look down into a carb at full throttle on a race engine, the "droplets" of fuel entering the air stream are as big as rain drops as opposed to the mist provided by injectors.
    Besides, I've had several mechanics that I know and respect tell me the same thing.

Supporting Gold Member GreaseDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chevy-aholic View Post
    yup, and these rudementary, barbaric devices are so popular on race day why? I always thought that both racing and performance enthusiasts were always after the same goal of making their car go fast!! I think that someone needs to tell the hundreds-of-thousands of hot-rodders that they are idiots and clearly running the wrong setup.
    i already saw the comment on this post being sarcastic, but i'll respond anyways...

why they are found on so many race cars is simple, and its already been stated. SIMPLICITY. you plug a fuel line to it, and turn the engine underneath it, and it does its thing.

now look at the injection system... TPS, IAC, MAF, injectors, and any other sensor or solenoid you want to throw in there... if one of them goes bad, the whole thing goes downhill.

if you want to argue the carb is making more power thing, talk to a guy with a 10 second 383 Monte Carlo with a carburetor... then talk to a guy with a 10 second Grand Nat, and see who is more likely to take their car for a cruise through town. i know several guys who used to have carbs, their cars were undrivable pieces of crap... but they were fast on race day. throw an injection system on it, and they're daily driving the race car now.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseDog View Post
    i already saw the comment on this post being sarcastic, but i'll respond anyways...

why they are found on so many race cars is simple, and its already been stated. SIMPLICITY. you plug a fuel line to it, and turn the engine underneath it, and it does its thing.

now look at the injection system... TPS, IAC, MAF, injectors, and any other sensor or solenoid you want to throw in there... if one of them goes bad, the whole thing goes downhill.

if you want to argue the carb is making more power thing, talk to a guy with a 10 second 383 Monte Carlo with a carburetor... then talk to a guy with a 10 second Grand Nat, and see who is more likely to take their car for a cruise through town. i know several guys who used to have carbs, their cars were undrivable pieces of crap... but they were fast on race day. throw an injection system on it, and they're daily driving the race car now.
    Anyone who says carbs are not drivable has never taken the time required to tune one. I know that you have great experience, and are one of the best knowledge sources on this site, so to read this comment is oposite of what I would expect from someone of you're caliber. The idea that a drag cars ONLY runs a carb because of it's simplicity is rubbish. The electronic systems (throttle stops, ignition advance/retard controllers, and even multi-stage nitrous contollers) on a drag car are just as complicated as an EFI system, and directly contradict your statement. The primary reason that carbs are run on high output competition motors is because they can be tuned to deliver precise amounts of fuel, regardless of what the sensors are telling it. Simple terms are that an engine, at a given RPM and output level, requires a certain amount of fuel for max power. Anything other than this value are subsequently less performance out of your engine. For instance, some EFI systems will adjust fuel flow in regards to engine temp. It will give more or less fuel to compensate for the problem. Other words giving the engine other than it's ideal fuel/air mixture. How is this more performance?

496SS: Roots-Blown 496 BBC, Custom backhalf, Parallel 4-link, T316 Stainless exhaust "Dual Path" w/ dumps, Lots of fiberglass!!!

Anyone who says carbs are not drivable has never taken the time required to tune one. I know that you have great experience, and are one of the best knowledge sources on this site, so to read this comment is oposite of what I would expect from someone of you're caliber. The idea that a drag cars ONLY runs a carb because of it's simplicity is rubbish. The electronic systems (throttle stops, ignition advance/retard controllers, and even multi-stage nitrous contollers) on a drag car are just as complicated as an EFI system, and directly contradict your statement. The primary reason that carbs are run on high output competition motors is because they can be tuned to deliver precise amounts of fuel, regardless of what the sensors are telling it. Simple terms are that an engine, at a given RPM and output level, requires a certain amount of fuel for max power. Anything other than this value are subsequently less performance out of your engine. For instance, some EFI systems will adjust fuel flow in regards to engine temp. It will give more or less fuel to compensate for the problem. Other words giving the engine other than it's ideal fuel/air mixture. How is this more performance?
    last time i picked up a spool of wire, it had weight.when was the last time you saw someone competitievely drag racing a car that weighed 7000#? yes, delay boxes, ignition boxes, throttle stops, etc. are very common... but not on your standard weekend warrior.

by what you're saying if you set a carburetor and it will deliver the perfect amount of fuel all the time... you're forgetting quite a bit... humidity, temprature, altitude, atmospheric pressure, etc will all effect how that car runs with your "perfect" setting. that's why we have corrected ETs. hell even track conditions (track temp, compound applied to the track, wind speed and direction, tire temp (post burnout), and traction in general, can and will change the way the engine runs due to a different load on the car.

an EFI car will compensate for all of that, faster than you can even begin to think "i need to drop down a jet size."

and if you care to dispute the fact that atmospheric conditions...

walk around your local drag strip, and pay special attention to some of the things that the most competitive carb guys are using...

you'll likely find one of these...

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...ther-Stations/
    or at least one of these...

and one of these...

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...-Thermometers/

in each and every one of their toolboxes... probably right next to the jet assortment and carb tools.
    Last edited by GreaseDog; 09-15-2009 at 10:20 PM.

Dude, I am not debating whether or not atmospheric anomolies play a part in competition racing. It is obvious that you have to rejet often if you are seeking this ultimate goal of peak power. And as far as not the "wire has weight" theory, wouldn't that mean that EFI systems are a setback in the drag racing world? I mean a simple wire harness can easily weigh up to 10 punds, and the computer another 4 or 5. However, a CO2 powered throttle stop (90% of racers in super gas or higher run them) adds well over 15 pounds to the car once you figure in the bottle and solenoids. So if the EFI was sooooo much better, wouldn't the racing crowd just run it despite the extra 15 pounds?

damn yall, keep goin. im learnin

1997 K1500 Built vortec 355
    transbuilderguy built 4L65E, yank, 14 bolt

And as far as not the "wire has weight" theory, wouldn't that mean that EFI systems are a setback in the drag racing world? I mean a simple wire harness can easily weigh up to 10 punds, and the computer another 4 or 5. However, a CO2 powered throttle stop (90% of racers in super gas or higher run them) adds well over 15 pounds to the car once you figure in the bottle and solenoids. So if the EFI was sooooo much better, wouldn't the racing crowd just run it despite the extra 15 pounds?
    when you think about where the weight is... all on the nose of the car (because the engine is under the hood after all). why mess with all of that when you can run a switched wire to your coil, and a push button to the starter and be done with it.

as for your co2 powered throttle stop, you can position the bottle anywhere in the car easily. rather than the weight be hanging over the front tires, you can put it in the rear of the car and use it to your advantage.

Let ne know when a carb can do this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JPBdBIFGNQ

After 45 seconds it gets better.

That sounds like good off idle throttle responce to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gmc406 View Post
    Let ne know when a carb can do this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JPBdBIFGNQ

After 45 seconds it gets better.

That sounds like good off idle throttle responce to me.
    better yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aArS...eature=related

and notice there is no driver in the ****pit pushing on the accelerator, or anyone standing near the car.

Fuel injected or not, its not gonna help how horrible those cars sound :LOL:

As far as carbs and fuel injection are concerned...both have their place.
    Last edited by SimpleGreen; 09-16-2009 at 10:56 PM.

- 1993 C1500 - 5.3L/4L60E Swap - 3/5 Hotchkis - '96 Interior - Tuned by EPS -
    - 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE - Borla - 1" Eibach Drop - Roto Fab Intake - Katzkins Interior -

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
    Fuel injected or not, its not gonna help how horrible those cars sound :LOL:

As far as carbs and fuel injection are concerned...both have their place.
    how horrible they sound? that's the way a very efficient engine sounds, the more efficient your engine is at RPM, the higher the pitch.

how horrible they sound? that's the way a very efficient engine sounds, the more efficient your engine is at RPM, the higher the pitch.
    has nothing to do with efficiency, it's all about the tiny pistons and insanely high RPM. Why do you think Rice burners have high pitched annoying exhaust. They aren't the models of efficiency either.

Point being? Still pains my ears. Awful sounding cars they are.

Some may say the same about Sprint Cup cars with their archaic push rod Holley carb'd 850HP engines, but Id rather listen to one of those :LOL:

- 1993 C1500 - 5.3L/4L60E Swap - 3/5 Hotchkis - '96 Interior - Tuned by EPS -
    - 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE - Borla - 1" Eibach Drop - Roto Fab Intake - Katzkins Interior -

has nothing to do with efficiency, it's all about the tiny pistons and insanely high RPM. Why do you think Rice burners have high pitched annoying exhaust. They aren't the models of efficiency either.
    its efficiency. i dont remember who said it, but i remember reading it somewhere. it was either Smokey Yunick, or David Vizard.

350+ci sprint cup engines have a higher pitched tone than your normal small block too.

Hmmm.. Forces' Top fuel funny car doesn't have an extreme high pitch like that, maybe he's not running as efficient as he could be.

Savedbythrottle

Fuel Injection to carb = doing it wrong

Jeez I really signed in for this so..In small steps.. DO NOT compare a ch3no2 engine to an alcohol fueled pump based on exhaust note.
    Last edited by xch3no2; 09-18-2009 at 02:54 AM.
    89 K3500 RCLB- Fat Snarling RAT..Scat/Eagle/Crower/Crane/Edelbrock/MSD..TBI/EBL/TH400/Dana 60

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast