***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

I have bad gas what to do?

This is a discussion on I have bad gas what to do? within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have bad gas in my truck,it bogs and runs like crap when less then a quarter tank. When I ...

I have bad gas what to do?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have bad gas in my truck,it bogs and runs like crap when less then a quarter tank. When I fill up more then half way it runs better,which leads me to believe the slurry is at the bottom of the tank. Short of draining the tank,what should I do? Is it ok to put that diesel stuff in the tank,the stuff that gets water out of diesel. Is it ok to use that stuff in a gasoline motor? Maybe seafoam,what the best bet? Thank you.
    bigolblackie 1988 fulsize Blazer Silverado obs reg.cab 3500diesel Chev towtruck 1981 Lincoln Continental MK.VI "the black American dream car"

Re: I have bad gas what to do?

Gas-X?

Fuel tanks from all years of vehicles suck up the fuel from the bottom of the tank first, despite how full it is.

So you think have some bad gas resting below the good gas in your tank, if that were so your truck would suck the junk up first.

What I would do if I were you is do a fuel PSI test with the tank full and than below 1/4 and compare, perhaps your just seeing a weak fuel pump and when fuel level is low the pump is working harder than when it's full and a low fuel pressure would make the truck run like crap, especially a diesel
    Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 10-30-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Natural born world shaker SpankyCSW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 04SilveradoMykk View Post
    Gas-X?
    :LOL: I think he means Heet... But I'm with you Mykk, that shouldn't be the issue because fuel is coming from the bottom of the tank no matter how much is in there.

Its a 350tbi so its not a diesel. I was working in the junkyard and was getting free gas there from the gas tanks. One day I usually empty and fill the gas myself,but one day I trusted another guy working there to fill my gas containers and I think he fixed me. I really dont want to drain the tank and all that. I will try that gas x stuff. What damage to the motor am I facing? Will it eventually burn off and go away?
    bigolblackie 1988 fulsize Blazer Silverado obs reg.cab 3500diesel Chev towtruck 1981 Lincoln Continental MK.VI "the black American dream car"

Quote Originally Posted by bigolblackie View Post
    Its a 350tbi so its not a diesel. I was working in the junkyard and was getting free gas there from the gas tanks. One day I usually empty and fill the gas myself,but one day I trusted another guy working there to fill my gas containers and I think he fixed me. I really dont want to drain the tank and all that. I will try that gas x stuff. What damage to the motor am I facing? Will it eventually burn off and go away?
    Dude, no no no. I was kidding with the Gas-X, gas-x is used for when you had really bad farts.

You need to test fuel PSI like I stated above.

Natural born world shaker SpankyCSW's Avatar

Gas - X is for indigestion... Like farts and burps.

LOL I googled that and was like wtf I will remember it though if beans are on the menu. I dont know how and I dont have equipment for testing fuel preasure.

They're coming for us 1988 GMC 355's Avatar

Pepto FTW

'95 GMC Z71|L05|GT4|Yukon 17s|Belltech|Purple Keys|FastChip|Hedman|Borla |XtremeFI|Goodmark|Kenwood|Memphis|Ultimate TBI Mods|E Fan|
    Yes it is a 4x4, yes it is lowered

5200 lbs. at 13.0/17.0MPG
    1988 GMC SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by bigolblackie View Post
    I dont know how and I dont have equipment for testing fuel preasure.
    Than keep shooting in the dark man, or pay a shop to help you
    Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 10-30-2009 at 10:08 AM.

x2 on possible weak pump

Registered User whitelightnin92's Avatar

fuel filter

69 C10
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthr...y+project+pics

72 C10 stepside RAT
    355/350/14bolt 3.73 posi

92 k1500
    1/4 16.024 @ 84 MPH

2006 ECSB 5.3
    1/4 15.588 @89.96 STOCK

lae

Are you sure that your fuel gauge is reading correctly? It may be displaying just less than a quarter tank but the tank many be almost empty.
    2000 Silverado Ext. Cab Z71
    2005 Nissan Titan XE
    1999 Suburban

I think if I change the fuel filter that might be the cure,along with fuel injection cleaner stuff. I bought some Motomaster gas treatment,and 30ltrs of gas and it seems to run a little better allready. What I wonder is how comes it runs like crap when then tank is near empty?

behind the wheel

If you got a load of water, your gas will be floating above it. The only solution is to syphon the tank, or try to treat it with alcohol (heet).
    Jim
    2000 NBS Tahoe 5.3 4wd crap hauler
    Ported TB, MAF screen delete, Energy Suspension bushings (F/R), Detroit Locker

I changed the fuel filter today and its seems to be getting better,but not all the way. It shuts off sometimes when at low idle with the steering wheel turned,like when waiting to turn at a light or when parking.

I used to work at a salvage yard. I know about the free gas. Can't pass it up. You have water in your tank. When you have plenty of fuel in the tank, the water is mixed up, but still runs on the poor side, when you are down to the lower levels, there is more water than fuel, so its running poorly.

Drop the tank and check it out.