If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what is the best programmer/tuner for a 2004 chevy duramax with a lly engine

This is a discussion on what is the best programmer/tuner for a 2004 chevy duramax with a lly engine within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; hey everyone i'm new to the website. My dad gave me his old truck, and i have done some work ...

what is the best programmer/tuner for a 2004 chevy duramax with a lly engine

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    hey everyone i'm new to the website. My dad gave me his old truck, and i have done some work on it. It's a 2004 chevy duramax 2500 hd lly. I have put a fabtech 6" lift on it with 2 inch body. Dual 4" magnaflow exhaust with a k&n air filter on it. I am looking for some good quality horsepower and torque. I dont want my allison tranny to get messed up, but i feel like it could use some more get up and go. My buddy purchased a triple bully dog programmer this week and it is ridiculous with what it done to his 1500 gmc. I was wondering what would be a good investment in the truck for good horsepower and torque, but wouldn't mess up the tranny or any other components. i was looking at buying the banks big hoss package but i cant afford it because im in college and need some money for the side but would be willing to throw down some $$$ for some good horsepower.

Thanks

Jday13

Re: what is the best programmer/tuner for a 2004 chevy duramax with a lly engine

Ppe

Re: what is the best programmer/tuner for a 2004 chevy duramax with a lly engine

ppe is a good one or edge. but if i were you i would wait and get the banks system. like the 6 gun tuner or big hoss tuner not the whole bundle since you have most of the upgrades that some with it. my friend has the big hoss on his 06 f350 ford and wow it really goes. love to see wat it could do to a real engine like the 6.6L

Thanks man yeah don't u have to move parts of the engine around when u purchase the big hoss? I was looking on YouTube (not a good thing to trust) but it mentioned something about moving things around so u can put the components in. Do u know a good website or where I can get it? The cheapest I found was $3300 on eBay but didn't know if someone of you guys would know other websites for me to check out.

Thanks again

not sure about the moving stuff around maybe if you get there whole CAI and power puck thing. im sure if you just got the big hoss tuner you'd be fine. maybe on the Banks power site and lots of 4x4 or truck shops can get em. well around here they can not sure about where you are. if your just looking for a programmer i'd lean more to the six gun cause of the switching on the fly part

if i purchased the big hoss do u think it would be too much for the transmission? i know it adds alot of torque. i didnt know if it would be too much on the transmission though?

do you have an allison? i've heard the allisons have a relearn feature that calibrates them to how much power and torque is going through them. i would say it wont be a serious issue if your not punching it all the time. if you are scared about wrecking your trans you could throw in a shift kit but if your not running the highest setting and driving half normal i think you'll be alright. allison is the best trans out there

Yeah I have a Allison it has never let me down so far and I hope it will stay that way

I know everyone has their opinions about wat the beat tuner is and all but if u had a choice which would y'all choose? An edge, predator, Ppe, banks six gun, or bully dog? Just tryin to see what's the best one

ppe or if you can afforde it efi
    2012 greystone grey chevy silverado crew cab 2wd stock

How much will an efi run me?

efi live is a custom tune, i am not sure on prices but i hear that is the best thing right now. i would suggest getting a shift kit, transgo jr hd 2 IIRC. Look in the diesel section of this site and they can help you out
    Last edited by XLR8N; 01-15-2010 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander Berkeley
    I'd better make hay while the sun shines.

Quote Originally Posted by XLR8N View Post
    efi live is a custom tune, i am not sure on prices but i hear that is the best thing right now. i would suggest getting a shift kit, transgo jr hd 2 IIRC. Look in the diesel section of this site and they can help you out
    a trans go jr will work on the 5spd allys but you have to remove the trans to install and if its being pulled might as well rebuild it and beef it up imo, efi runs about $800 but well worth it, if a 6spd ally yeah the trans go jr is good for a tune of 120hp iirc and not just doging it but it helps hold the xtra power.
    Last edited by chevyman98; 01-15-2010 at 02:47 PM.

DSCSZ71

Get the edge EZ or ppe economy. As a general rule, you dont want to try to put more than 90 additional rwhp through the Allison. After 90 rwhp your risking damage to it. The edge ez is rated at a gain of 65 rwhp. That will provide noticeable gains without having to worry about blowing up your tranny. The ppe economy is rated at 120 hp at the crank. So with your 30% drivetrain loss your looking at around 84 additional hp. Do a little research on the two at dieselplace or duramax forums. Some people run the ppe standard on the 160 hp level and have no problems with their tranny, but i have heard a couple people say they have had tranny issues (slipping or entering limp mode) on the 160 hp level so i would just play it safe and get the edge or ppe economy. Plus, the ppe standard has a 225 hp setting and it will be very tempting (and dangerous for your tranny) to try it out!
    2004 5.3 CCSB Silverado Z71
    - Nelson tune
    - Pacesetter LTs and ORY
    - Corsa dB black
    - LS1 fans
    - 285/70/17 toyo open country AT's

how would you go by beefing up the allison tranny? could me and my uncle do it or would yall perfer someone else do it? and if so who would i need to get in touch, would my local dealership do it? and how much would that run me?

DSCSZ71

The trans go kit is like 200 bucks or so. It will firm up your shifts and help your tranny hold a little more power.. but it wont really help that much. I still wouldnt put more than just a ppe economy or edge EZ to it though. It would be a great idea to get the kit though even with the just the economy or EZ to ensure you dont have tranny problems down the road from the added hp even though you shouldnt even without the kit. I dont know how difficult it is to install the transgo though. Your only real option after that is something like this

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/gm...stage3kit.html

Which is over 2 grand plus installation which i imagine would be 500 to 1000 dollars. An experienced professional should be the only one to install this kit.
    2004 5.3 CCSB Silverado Z71
    - Nelson tune
    - Pacesetter LTs and ORY
    - Corsa dB black
    - LS1 fans
    - 285/70/17 toyo open country AT's

suncoast is one of the most reputabile that comes to mind right now but check out duramaxforum and diesel place they can get you hooked up with some sweet deals from the vendors there, as far as building it different kit have different clutches and etc, an important part is the converter you go with i would let someone put the parts in but i would buy the kit imo, that way you know its done right.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman98 View Post
    a trans go jr will work on the 5spd allys but you have to remove the trans to install and if its being pulled might as well rebuild it and beef it up imo, efi runs about $800 but well worth it, if a 6spd ally yeah the trans go jr is good for a tune of 120hp iirc and not just doging it but it helps hold the xtra power.
    thanks for clearing that up
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander Berkeley
    I'd better make hay while the sun shines.

no problem :) but i think you have the 5spd 6 didnt come out untill 06 i belive
    Last edited by chevyman98; 01-16-2010 at 12:05 PM.

thanks for yalls help guys that really cleared up alot for me.

Thanks again

Jday13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast