GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

305 HO Heads

This is a discussion on 305 HO Heads within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find it anywhere. I wanted to know if anyone with ...

305 HO Heads

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I'm sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find it anywhere. I wanted to know if anyone with a 305 has changed their heads to the chevy HO heads like from the Monte SS? I have a pair with casting number 14014416 with tells me they have a 58cc combustion chamber. Can anyone tell me if it would be worth the trouble to run this setup? Currently I have only a few mods (See sig) and am about to upgrade to headers with the exhaust dumped before the rear wheels. Thanks for any help!!!
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    1989 K1500 4x4 305/5 speed
    55LB Injectors, Ultimate TBI Mods, Airaid Throttle Body Spacer, Custom cold air intake, MSD Blaster Coil, Dynomax Longtube headers, '91 Tach Cluster

Re: 305 HO Heads

If you need heads or valve work they're o.k., but they are not special enough to change them for the sake of getting extra power. You would see little difference.
    RandyW
    '02 Short Bed/ Reg Cab/ LS1/SS wheels,3.73 Gears

'96 Tahoe 2dr 4x4

Re: 305 HO Heads

Those heads from the factory are nothing to write home about but with a bunch porting on the intake side and some larger valves they work well. They have a 1.85 intake valve and a 1.5 exhaust valve. I'f you open them to 1.94 and 1.55 and port them they will beat any smogger head from the 80's or non vortec iron head from the 90's. I am running a set of 416's on a 350 in a camaro and they have been ported and bigger valves and it makes good power but I also got these heads for free from a friend. So if you can put the porting time into them yourself and money to a machine shop for the essential stuff and parts you might do alright. But if you have to pay sombody to do everything it's probably not woth the money for the power gain compared to some of the new aluminum heads out. Also have a look at the article.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...305_heads.html