If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

6.0L performance upgrades

This is a discussion on 6.0L performance upgrades within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; New to the site from what i have read so far i got a feeling im gonna be learning a ...

6.0L performance upgrades

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    New to the site from what i have read so far i got a feeling im gonna be learning a lot. Here's the deal i got a 01 6.0L all i have done to this is a cold air intake, and dual flowmaster outlaw mufflers running back to 4in flow pro tips 90'ed behind the rear tires. But im looking for more, i mean i know there are programmers, and headers out there i can get, but the truck is loud enough for me so i don't really want headers and programmers theres so many different kinds its hard to decide which one to get. Didn't know what other people on here would recommend/already have. Also if you have any more major upgrades (cyl. heads, cam, intake, etc.) I would like to know. The truck is my daily driver and i use it to pull trailers every now and then, and when i say trailers i mean 30ft car trailers with anywhere from 3500-5500lbs on the trailer alone.

......................... Atomic's Avatar

Re: 6.0L performance upgrades

get a custom tune from blackbear performance

There is a thread less than a week ago about this find it an then we won't have two of the exact same thing.

BB not a "tuner"

"01 GMC 2500 HD, Bagged, BB Tuned, Dumped exaust, and Race built trans with 2800 Stall

If you are going to do headers, get them before the tune so that you can receive full benefit of the headers.

don't get me wrong i wouldn't mind to do headers, but really the truck is loud enough, that and i have heard of people having problems with the bolts breaking off in the heads and i don't even wanna start having those problems. The tune from black bear sounds good, but this is also my daily driver and i can't really have it down for however long it would take to get the pcm back. What kind of cams would some of you recommend?
    Last edited by cramer_01; 05-30-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Then just pay more and keep your pcm. And for a cam, do you want to change your stall or not? If you do choose to stall, The TR224 is a good all around cam for your truck.

I got my tune from nelson, however I thought black bear was the same. You don't have any down time. They send you a new pcm and when you install it you just send your factory one back.

the sea hates a coward rebelbowtie's Avatar

X2 on the thunder racing cam. I'd like one and a little higher stall. The stall alone will make a HUGE difference IMO. Then combine that with heads and a custom tune

Not Really Bob

Put longtube headers on it and change your goofy redneck loud exhaust. Hell, you could probably just cut those giant tips off and quiet it down enough for your liking. Your basically pissing in the wind if you do any other "big" mods without a set of longtube headers.
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

All good advice in here. I would do headers.

ps. Be carefull if you do a stall. Make sure you go with aquaity one, not too high of a stall, and put a BIG cooler on there so you will be OK when towing!

nice to know now days if you have loud exhaust either it or you get classified as a redneck. does anyone know of a good set of LT's? i don't really wanna have to put a stall on it, theres a lot of hills around here, so im not sure i could put a big enough cooler on it lol. has anyone has there cyl. heads ported and polished? i been thinking of looking into that.

A port an polish is usually not worth it unless you do it your self. There are some decent gain to be made but if pay someone they aren't hardly worth it.

It also seems that with these motors the cost of getting better heads seems to override the port and polish more often then not.
    Last edited by custm2500; 06-05-2010 at 08:19 AM.

"01 GMC 2500 HD, Bagged, BB Tuned, Dumped exaust, and Race built trans with 2800 Stall

thats what i kinda figured. problem with me getting headers is being on a volunteer fire dept. if a run goes out at 2:30 in the morning im gonna wake up every single neighbor i have lol. anyone know what kind of gains they have gotten from a blackbear tune?

I had my tune set on kill for performance and shaved 7 tenths off my quartermile. Seat of the pants is night and day, I am going to guess 20is hp and the removal or torque managment makes it feel like 50 hp.
    Last edited by custm2500; 06-05-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Not Really Bob

Quote Originally Posted by cramer_01 View Post
    thats what i kinda figured. problem with me getting headers is being on a volunteer fire dept. if a run goes out at 2:30 in the morning im gonna wake up every single neighbor i have lol.
    Put headers and then change something else down the line in your exhaust system. Change from the Flowmaster Outlaws to a set of Magnaflows or Flowmaster 40/50 series.

There's a nice set of stainless headers with y-pipe on ebay that everybody is beginning to run on their trucks: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Here's a write up on them: http://performancetrucks.net/forums/...d.php?t=450962
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

I'm going to go against the consensus and say headers, for what they cost aren't worth it. The stock cam has no overlap (time when intake and exhaust valves are open simultaneously) because its the same tiny little 190/191 on 116 they put in the 4.8L. Also, carrbed engines need signal, its the force created by scavenging that helps allocate fuel is the respective cylinders, which is why carrbed engines like headers. Multiport efi engines don't need signal because the fuel is metered and distributed electronically. It may be worth it if you swap to a hotter cam, but too much overlap and you'll get an erratic vac signal at the MAP which will make it hard to tune and you'll end up having to get a higher stalling converter.

If you really want more power have it tuned. If that doesn't work for you you can get lower gears, for stock tires 4.56 will absolutely rip and compensate for the 4L80e's inherently high direct and indirect gearset. A higher stall converter, if its a good one will put you in your powerband faster, the LQ4 really likes 2800 rpms and up and the stock converter seems to tighten around 1600 and maxes a little north of 2000. Or you can go forced induction, which will be expensive, but if done correctly will make for much more power than stock. Or you could have the engine stroked, bored and built, cammed etc. I would also suggest a transgo HD2 shiftkit, as I have found mine to have improved my 80e's behavior radically.
    Last edited by 2500ak; 06-05-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Transgo HD2 | Magnaflow DI/DO | CAI | BlackBear Tune| Dual Optima Red Tops: 2000 Cold Craking Amps | Denali Projectors |

Not Really Bob

The OP may be open to a cam swap, see post #5, so that is why I suggest he gets headers. I definitely agree with 2500ak on how under-cammed the 6.0 is. They should come stock with a 212/218 imo.

Get yourself some LS3 heads, a fast 102 intake and matching Big Mouth TB, long tube headers, nice cam, dyno tune, and enjoy your 480+hp. If you want some really good info you should check out LS1truck.com
    2006 Silverado 1500 CCSB
    6" RCX, 37" Trail Grapplers on 20"x12" Fuel Hostages

Quote Originally Posted by 2500ak View Post
    The stock cam has no overlap (time when intake and exhaust valves are open simultaneously)
    Every camshaft has overlap.

Op,

Best "mild" mods you can do would be higher stall converter, LTs, and a custom tune. There's a lot of guys making good power with h/c/i. If you have the money, go FI, just easier.
    Last edited by Zero260; 06-07-2010 at 10:00 AM.

been thinking of lt's but i wanna keep the true dual exhaust, and a tune at least. i already have intake and exhaust. is an underdrive pulley kit worth the money?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast