If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Best cam for a stock 5.3L?

This is a discussion on Best cam for a stock 5.3L? within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hi all. I am looking for the best cam upgrade for a stock 5.3. I am wondering if the 5.3L ...

Best cam for a stock 5.3L?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hi all. I am looking for the best cam upgrade for a stock 5.3. I am wondering if the 5.3L engine, is a bit like my old TBI engine. In the way that, the TBI engine had some room for a bigger cam, before you needed to change out the heads and do some other work.

So is there any overhead room for a better cam in a stock 5.3L? I don't want a rough idle, but I don't think I have to worry about that because I am not wanting to change out my heads or anything like that. I am just looking to pick up a small gas mileage increase with a mild/very mild cam, if I can. Lots of people talk about how this could easily be done on the TBI motors, but I am not too sure about the 5.3's.

EDIT: Well, not completely stock, I guess. The motor has a set of longtube headers and a full exhaust system. But still I don't want to do anything that will hurt the mileage, so I am not changing the heads or anything major.
    Last edited by MRsn95; 07-24-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    "Moving backwards into the future." -GM

Re: Best cam for a stock 5.3L?

Id prolly go with something similar specs to a comp cam 503 or comp cam 306 if you wanted to go a little bigger. I know lloyd elliot make some head/cam packages with custom grind cams to what exactly your looking for

Not Really Bob

Well.. with the right springs, the heads can take up to .600 lift so don't worry about having to get them machined. Any cam with over .500 lift you will need new springs. Fortunately, the yellow LS6 springs from GM can take up to .550 lift and they reliable and cheap(approx. $60 a set). Here's a bunch of cams you could run, I'll start with the smallest one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-54-450-11/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-54-408-11/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-54-451-11/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-54-452-11/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-54-535-11/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-54-412-11/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60510/

There you go, take the top half or the bottom half, "put them in a hat," and pick one, lol.
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

And none of those could ever possibly hurt my mileage? So I would just want to go for the biggest one then, correct? Sorry I am a bit of an engine noob, I'm afraid.

Not Really Bob

For best mileage, you would want the smallest one. Here's a thread from another forum where a guy improved his mileage doing a bunch of mods. http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/perfo...06-z-71-a.html Just make sure you consult us before doing any of then mods he did.
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

A comp 212/218 does well in a 5.3 and its small enough to not NEED a converter. Best way to get better gas mileage is to drive like a grandma. also, If your truck is not tuned then spend $250 on one.
    4.8/Pacesetter LT's/RPT Tune/Servo/Magnaflow/el cheapo intake

Ok thanks. I already drive like a grandma lol. I'm too old for all that teenager crap. But uh, from the looks of this thread, it seems like there isn't a whole heck of a lot of room for a new cam in a 5.3. At least, not and keep the gas mileage. I was looking to increase it like a buddy of mine did with his TBI motor. Oh well. I think a set of long tubes is really the best way to increase mileage in a 5.3L.

Not Really Bob

Yea, longtubes, Black Bear Tune, and electric fans should net you a decent mileage increase.

Long-tubes and a tune will do wonders in an LS engine. Electric fans, some people don't see any gain from them and have problems with the fans themselves not turning on and relays frying. I prefer the clutch fan over E-fans. I wouldn't want to overheat the engine in 105 degree Texas days.
    4.8/Pacesetter LT's/RPT Tune/Servo/Magnaflow/el cheapo intake

Odd. Sounds like they didn't do it right, or got a bad relay or something. But er... I thought all the new trucks came with electric fans...

i think the best would be for increase mpg, find some E fans from a 05 + from a wrecking yard, and all the harness that are needed, and a good tune and it should help a lot more than a cam swap..l believe you can get the tune first with the pcm set up for E fans, and when you get the fans all you need it to install them, and hook up your harness to the pcm...but check with the turner first...

good luck

Ok well on to my next question. Do you guys think that after the engine swap, I will see an increase in fuel mileage? I mean after all, I am going from a TBI 5.7L, to a fuel injected 5.3L. Right now, my TBI motor gets 14.3 miles per gallon in the city, and 16.7 miles per gallon on the highway. The truck is a 2WD half ton 1987 Silverado. The truck's sticker says that it weighs 4500lbs. What kind of mileage increase do yall think I could see?

Quote Originally Posted by MRsn95 View Post
    Ok well on to my next question. Do you guys think that after the engine swap, I will see an increase in fuel mileage? I mean after all, I am going from a TBI 5.7L, to a fuel injected 5.3L. Right now, my TBI motor gets 14.3 miles per gallon in the city, and 16.7 miles per gallon on the highway. The truck is a 2WD half ton 1987 Silverado. The truck's sticker says that it weighs 4500lbs. What kind of mileage increase do yall think I could see?
    My 2005 Silverado crew cab gets 17 MPG mixed driving. Its a 2WD with a 5.3L and really crappy 3.23 gears. A 5.3L in a truck like that...I think its reasonable to say with basic stuff like a tune, fans, and exhaust you could touch 21-22 MPG cruising on the highway. LS motors are pretty efficient really. Much more so than a TBI 350.

- 1993 C1500 - 5.3L/4L60E Swap - 3/5 Hotchkis - '96 Interior - Tuned by EPS -
    - 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE - Borla - 1" Eibach Drop - Roto Fab Intake - Katzkins Interior -

Not Really Bob

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
    A 5.3L in a truck like that...I think its reasonable to say with basic stuff like a tune, fans, and exhaust you could touch 21-22 MPG cruising on the highway. LS motors are pretty efficient really. Much more so than a TBI 350.
    X2, as long as you aren't running any aggressive tires.

Oh I was planning on using the tires with the lowest rolling resistance possible. Which if I recall correctly, is some freaking Michelin tire they have out now. I think it was their Latitude Tour model, but I can't remember exactly. That should give me just another edge when it comes to reaching the best fuel economy that the truck can get.

Its a little quest of mine, I guess you could say. I want to see just how much gas mileage I can get.