GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

305 tbi with vortec heads what yall think

This is a discussion on 305 tbi with vortec heads what yall think within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; here is the deal i got a vortec 305 for free will it be worth converting to vortec.i am also ...

305 tbi with vortec heads what yall think

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    here is the deal i got a vortec 305 for free will it be worth converting to vortec.i am also goin to put a bigger cam in it with the head swap.also would i b better off using the edlebrock tbi to vortec or just get a vortec intake for a carb and put an adaptor plate on it.thanks
    tbi 350 bout to be boosted

Re: 305 tbi with vortec heads what yall think

Quote Originally Posted by camarolt1 View Post
    here is the deal i got a vortec 305 for free will it be worth converting to vortec.i am also goin to put a bigger cam in it with the head swap.also would i b better off using the edlebrock tbi to vortec or just get a vortec intake for a carb and put an adaptor plate on it.thanks
    Depends on the emissions requirements you have.

I can tell you a Vortec 305 will pull very nicely. We just put some 059 305 vortec heads on the Crane 272H10 cammed 312 in my brothers 1980 C10. His Q-Jets secondary cam disintegrated a couple of weeks ago. To get the truck mobile we blocked the secondary air valves closed and he had been driving around on the primaries. Even running around on the functional equivalent of a DualJet ~350 cfm @ 3.0 in/hg the truck pulls hard past 5,500 rpm.
    1997 G1500 Cobra Conversion, 5.7, 4L80E, 3.73 14-bolt 9.5", L31 Marine Intake, CFM TB, 02 MAF, 0411, Custom cam. Doug Thorley Tri-Ys, full exhaust soon.

I personally would run an Edelbrock Victor Jr Vortec 2bbl with some port match work to the TBI bores and a 2bbl TBI adapter. It will SCREAM with the right cam and tuning.
    1997 G1500 Cobra Conversion, 5.7, 4L80E, 3.73 14-bolt 9.5", L31 Marine Intake, CFM TB, 02 MAF, 0411, Custom cam. Doug Thorley Tri-Ys, full exhaust soon.

thanks for your opinions i am having ed wright figure me a good cam and intake combo for the vortec heads
    tbi 350 bout to be boosted

Quote Originally Posted by Fast305 View Post
    I personally would run an Edelbrock Victor Jr Vortec 2bbl with some port match work to the TBI bores and a 2bbl TBI adapter. It will SCREAM with the right cam and tuning.
    Don't forget about good valve springs. All the cam and compression in the world isn't squat if you can't put on a lid on it. Ask me how I know about valve float/bounce.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs