***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

5.3 Vortec Engine MODS

This is a discussion on 5.3 Vortec Engine MODS within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 2003 Tahoe 5.3 and i really want more performance. Current mods are Borla Catback and custom tuned ...

5.3 Vortec Engine MODS

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 2003 Tahoe 5.3 and i really want more performance. Current mods are Borla Catback and custom tuned pcm with my HPTuner. Im planning on tuning it on E85 so that alone is going to help LOADS due to all the extra timing im going to be able to add but what engine mods are popular with these trucks? Any parts off the 6.0 worth swapping? What kind of gains could i get with some rockers? Help me out guys.

Re: 5.3 Vortec Engine MODS

UMMMM unless your gunna run boost or really high C/R the E85 wont do anything . you cant get with 91 gas . except get worse mpgs . and yes swap all the parts off the 6.0 block and all well worth it . rockers dont waste you money...save for a cam, stall, long tube headers and tune .
    1996 ecsb z71 3.73 g80 5.7 b&m shift improver , vette servo , 30k cooler , 7 quart huges trans pan circle d 2800 stall,160tstat ,k&N intake , ceramic coated eddlebrock headers. true dual flowmasters 2.5 inch and H pipe black bear 91 tune .and a frantz bypass oil fitration kit, 125 hp wet nitrous

Quote Originally Posted by 6789olds View Post
    UMMMM unless your gunna run boost or really high C/R the E85 wont do anything . you cant get with 91 gas . except get worse mpgs . and yes swap all the parts off the 6.0 block and all well worth it . rockers dont waste you money...save for a cam, stall, long tube headers and tune .
    My cammed 5.7 Hemi with its 9.6:1 compression ratio dropped over 3 tenths in the 1/8 switching from 93 octane to E85. Stayed at 28* of total timing but was able to bump up the low-mid range timing substantially. The intake charge was also cooler. Runs smoother with alot more torque on E85. Instead of being octane limited and running a reduced timing curve, I was able to bring in the full amount of total timing over 2,000 rpm earlier.
    Last edited by Fast305; 03-05-2011 at 07:08 PM.
    1997 G1500 Cobra Conversion, 5.7, 4L80E, 3.73 14-bolt 9.5", L31 Marine Intake, CFM TB, 02 MAF, 0411, Custom cam. Doug Thorley Tri-Ys, full exhaust soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast305 View Post
    My cammed 5.7 Hemi with its 9.6:1 compression ratio dropped over 3 tenths in the 1/8 switching from 93 octane to E85. Stayed at 28* of total timing but was able to bump up the low-mid range timing substantially. The intake charge was also cooler. Runs smoother with alot more torque on E85. Instead of being octane limited and running a reduced timing curve, I was able to bring in the full amount of total timing over 2,000 rpm earlier.
    Exactly i started tuning for E85 and it feels TONS better over 93 octane. So what parts off the 6.0 are people using exactly? What are the HP gains by switching say the intake or any other parts for that matter? I have access to get as many parts off a 6.0 as i want but i dont want to take the time and find it wasnt worth it you know what i mean. So has anyone had good luck with swapping in 6.0 parts and if so what did you swap and what are the gains?

It's What Lurks Within...

Quote Originally Posted by Raxxor View Post
    Exactly i started tuning for E85 and it feels TONS better over 93 octane. So what parts off the 6.0 are people using exactly? What are the HP gains by switching say the intake or any other parts for that matter? I have access to get as many parts off a 6.0 as i want but i dont want to take the time and find it wasnt worth it you know what i mean. So has anyone had good luck with swapping in 6.0 parts and if so what did you swap and what are the gains?
    Switch your entire 5.3 long block with the 6.0 unless there is something wrong with it of course. Bolt on parts are the same provided we are talking about a truck LQ4/LQ9. If you are thinking about the intake manifold or anything else like that it's the exact same stuff you already have.

For popular engine mods that's really a big can of worms. Are you talking simple bolt ons like headers or cam/heads and so on. It's all relative to how far you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Badass69 View Post
    Switch your entire 5.3 long block with the 6.0 unless there is something wrong with it of course. Bolt on parts are the same provided we are talking about a truck LQ4/LQ9. If you are thinking about the intake manifold or anything else like that it's the exact same stuff you already have.

For popular engine mods that's really a big can of worms. Are you talking simple bolt ons like headers or cam/heads and so on. It's all relative to how far you want to go.
    I dont want to get crazy i just want some extra HP if i could with just simply swapping out my 5.3 parts with 6.0. I would be willing to do rockers if the gains are worth it but i dont want to do a cam. What about this corvette servo im hearing about what exactly does it do? Is it worth it? What is the part number? Will it hurt my transmission?

a higher stall torque converter is a pretty simple mod. That alone would make a night and day difference in your truck. That with a vette servo would be a nice set of mods. They wont hurt the transmission. Pretty much how bad you beat on it dictates that.

After that you start looking into exhaust work. If that isn't enough some people start looking at cams.
    '03 rcsb silverado: Lq9 cammed/stalled, tbss intake, udp, efans, lts, 2/4 drop
    '08 dc tundra: 5.7li, stock
    '09 pontiac g8 gt: Kooks LTs/midpipe, stalled, 2" drop

Whats the part number to the corvette servo? Is there a write up? What exactly does the stall converter do?

Basically everything on the 6.0 is the same as you have now or not any better for a 5.3.
    SOLD: 04 z71, 3200 circle D, longtubes, Corsa sport, TBG 4l60e, 93 BB tune, 4500K HIDS, and other aftermarket stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 03SMURF View Post
    you have the meanest sounding 5.3 I have ever heard in person