If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

help with different cam sizes for a 350

This is a discussion on help with different cam sizes for a 350 within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; i just bought a 79 chevy with a 350 in it. the guy gave me some extra motor parts with ...

help with different cam sizes for a 350

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    i just bought a 79 chevy with a 350 in it. the guy gave me some extra motor parts with the truck. one of the parts was a cam. he said it was a 540 cam. i don't know much about different cams and what they will do. i didn't know if this cam would be better then the what i'm assuming is the original cam in the motor. he also gave me a set of solid lifters, which he said i have to use with the cam. i plan on fixing the truck up and taking it to silver lake and thats about it. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: help with different cam sizes for a 350

A solid lifter isn't really ideal for you. It is more designed for a very high revving application with matching gears, transmission, etc. 540 in this case, my guess would be towards referring to the lift, maybe .540".

Quote Originally Posted by SUBURBIAN View Post
    A solid lifter isn't really ideal for you. It is more designed for a very high revving application with matching gears, transmission, etc. 540 in this case, my guess would be towards referring to the lift, maybe .540".
    X2 good answer

alright so if it is a .540", would it be better then a stock cam or no?

Better is awfully subjective. Lets say the cam is bigger. Your stock cam probably has. 400" lift. You really shouldn't use it so it isn't better.

Put it this way, it's better for a race engine ;) You need a cam that I'm sure would have less duration than the cam he gave you, but more info is needd on the truck setup and what you plan to do with it.

'92 Sierra (TBI 383/Vortecs/Comp 08-412-8/EBL/4L60/3.08s), '78 Malibu (Vortec'd 350/4-speed/2.29s), '87 Pontiac Fiero GT (2.8 v6/5-speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Doober View Post
    Put it this way, it's better for a race engine ;) You need a cam that I'm sure would have less duration than the cam he gave you, but more info is needd on the truck setup and what you plan to do with it.
    I agree that this cam would be overkill for most people who aren't planning a race engine. I am thinking that most of us want a nice torque motor that will get the trucks rolling. That being said, as Doober said, we need a little more info for us to help you better.

Shawn