GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

vortec tbi swap water pump pulley question

This is a discussion on vortec tbi swap water pump pulley question within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm in the process of finishing up my vortec tbi swap. I went with a complete vortec long block. Because ...

vortec tbi swap water pump pulley question

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I'm in the process of finishing up my vortec tbi swap. I went with a complete vortec long block. Because of the lack of a coolant bypass on the block and I didnt want to drill it because it's a brand new crate motor I decided to go with the the vortec water pump so I could run the bypass. My problem is that the water pump pulleys are different between the tbi water pump and vortec pump. The bolt pattern is slightly different and so is the hole in the middle of the pulley. The questions I need answers to are will I have any issues with the vortec pump pulley if I go grab one at a junk yard? Will the pulley line up with my other accessories and clear every thing fine? Or did I waste my money on the pump and need to go back to a tbi pump and drill the bypass out or drill my thermostat?
    95' GMC 1500 rcsb
    catback dual exhaust, k/n air filter
    built 4l60e with 3000 stall
    eaton posi with 4:11 gears

Re: vortec tbi swap water pump pulley question

I just did this same thing a couple of weeks ago. I swapped in MPFI running in batch mode on my 95 tahoe's PCM 7427. When I found out the pulleys were different, I just grabbed one from the junk yard. It fit right on like it should and worked.

However, I also changed the entire front of the motor to Vortec. Both accessory brackets because one of the old TBI brackets hit the Vortec intake, making it impossible to install the intake. I also had to change the power steering pump, replace the AC compressor with the newer style, and move my alternator over to the left side of the motor. It was a major PITA, but it is all done now, and works well.

I have electric fans, so I didn't mess with the belt driven fan on the vortec.

Oh yea, BTW, I also needed to replace the belt. My old one didn't fit either.

Thanks for the info I'm sure the pulley will be cheap enough from the junk yard to see if it will work. Since I'm doing a full resto I already bought all brand new accessories but for a tbi so I can't go switching things around to the vortec stuff. Is there anyway you could compare the tbi pulley to the vortec pulley for me to see how much of a difference there is? The pulleys both seem to have alot of surface area for the belt to rest on so i'm only really concerned with the depth and diameter so that the belt has enough room to ride on the pulley and so that it clears the crank pulley.
    95' GMC 1500 rcsb

Sorry, my old TBI pulley went in the trash after I installed the new vortec water pump, and vortec pulley.

Everything fit on like stock, I didn't have any problems. Only thing I didn't change from my TBI setup to the vortec setup was the crank pulley.

So my TBI crank pulley lined up just fine with all the vortec stuff. That being said, it is reasonable to assume the water pump/pulleys are the same setup between TBI and Vortec. and the belt will wrap around just fine. However, you may need a slightly longer/shorter belt?

The only reason I went to the vortec water pump(and then secondly needed the vortec water pump pulley) is that it has a second hose fitting on it, that feeds the coolant bypass on the stock vortec intake.

Hope this helps.

That's great news thanks man that was my main concern the only thing I need to do now is find myself a pulley but it shouldn't be to hard to track one down.
    95' GMC 1500 rcsb