If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Converting 8 lug to 6 lug?

This is a discussion on Converting 8 lug to 6 lug? within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; alright, guys, i recently got a chevy 14 bolt with a detroit locker, for get this, free b/c my dads ...

Question Converting 8 lug to 6 lug?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    alright, guys, i recently got a chevy 14 bolt with a detroit locker, for get this, free b/c my dads best friend wrecked his chevy and he just gave it to me!

now, it has 8 lug axles, and i have 6 lug. can i have these axles converted to fit my wheels safely and for a decent price? or am i better off to find an axle manufacturer and have them make a set? dont know if they are different or not, but i need to use my brakes if possible, b/c my bud already gave his away. any suggestions on companies, manufacturers, etc?

will my driveshaft need to be shortened? i already know i need a different yoke.

any problems i might run into, or things i may have short sighted?

sorry for all the quesions, im just getting into working on rear ends and such. thanks
    2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. Stuffin' 20s wrapped in 36" Nittos. No lift.

Unfortunately, if your fourteen-bolt axle's got an 8-lug pattern, it means that it is a "full-floater" That extra hub sticking out, with bolts of it's own, allows the axle shafts to be removed without pulling the wheel, drums, brakes, bearings, etc. The Full-Floater 14-Bolt has a 10.5" ring gear.

The "Semi-Floater" version of the 14-bolt can be found under "heavy halft-ton" trucks of two generations ago. (Not duallies and not diesel) These rears have a 9.5" ring gear. They also already have the 6-lug pattern.

Give DriveTrain Direct a call, http://www.drivetraindirect.com and talk to Jason. These guys can build a 10'5" semi-floater. They call this setup bulletproof for good reason. Maybe they can convert yours to the appropriate hardware. They are in Corona, CA. (909) 272-0158, (800) 584-4327

Hang on to that thing until you find a place that can do the work - it's VALUEABLE!
    "James B." '99LT_Tahoe4Dr2WD, Tuned L29 Vortec 454, 62#Injectors, MSD6A, Six 3"mufflers, 10.5"non-float14bolt ,EatonPosi, 4.56:1, Built4L80E, Gear_Vendors, Splined_Driveshaft, HydroBoost, Be-Cool_Rad., FAL-292fans, Tracbars, Swaybars, AirRide, etc.

ptown,

is it a 99+ 14 bolt or an older one with drum brakes ??

no it has disk brakes

it is from a 2000 silverado

It's got discs eh? I have no idea what to do with those...

As for your driveshaft length...
    I've been told the pinion on the 14-bolt is sticking out just over an inch more than the 10-bolt. If this is true, you will probably not have to shorten your driveshaft becuase you've got a 6" lift. You'll notice that the slip yoke is out farther with the lift than it was at stock height. If you did not have it lengthened when you did the lift then you shouldn't need to have it shortened for the 14-bolt.

Did you talk to Jason? He drives a lifted 4x4 Yukon (old style) with a 10.5" 14-bolt under it. I talked to this guy for a solid 10 minutes a few weeks ago. Knows what he's talking about. I'm holding out for Eaton's 14-bolt Posi to be released next month.
    "James B." '99LT_Tahoe4Dr2WD, Tuned L29 Vortec 454, 62#Injectors, MSD6A, Six 3"mufflers, 10.5"non-float14bolt ,EatonPosi, 4.56:1, Built4L80E, Gear_Vendors, Splined_Driveshaft, HydroBoost, Be-Cool_Rad., FAL-292fans, Tracbars, Swaybars, AirRide, etc.

no i havent talked to him yet. i was going to het to it today or tomorrow, just been so freakin busy lately....

i'll let you guys know if i find anything

its kind of a long shot, but I have a set of 9.5" 6-lug axles (no there not for sale) that I can measure up, if they are the same you could just get a p/n and buy oem ones. If they are short you are sol, if they are slightly long, you could get the spline end shortened and c-clip re-cut. I'll dig them out this weekend.

thanks alot!

i appreciate your help

ok, the axles are from a 97 14 bolt 9.5" 6-lug

distance from c-clip to wheel flange 32-3/16
    diameter of end bearing surface 1.700
    c-clip groove diameter 0.820
    33 spline 1.420 diameter

hth