GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Cost to Fix Intake Manifold Gasket Leak?

This is a discussion on Cost to Fix Intake Manifold Gasket Leak? within the Performance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I just wanted some info on how much it would/should cost to get my dreaded intake manifold gasket leak fixed. ...

Question Cost to Fix Intake Manifold Gasket Leak?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I just wanted some info on how much it would/should cost to get my dreaded intake manifold gasket leak fixed. Seems like it's a chronic problem on older vortecs (I got 128xxx miles on mine-second hand) as I was reading. I was searching around on the forum and some guy was quoted $400. You gotta be kidding me! Also, before you tell me to do it myself, I gotta say that I'm not really machanically inclined and don't feel like doing the job and having to pay more $$ cause I screwed it up. Maybe, if it was just the throttle body or something. Anyway, thx!

97 C1500 Ext. Cab 5.7L, MSD 6A and Blaster Coil using Super Conductor wires, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Volant Intake. Amsoil 5w-30 synthetic oil, and Wester's 93 Hot Tune.

Just Another Low Life Balls Deep's Avatar
    The job is really quite simple to do. You might have to borrow a few tools, torque wrench, a couple screw drivers, wrenches and some sockets. If you buy a repair manual from any automotive store it will give you detailed instructions and pictures of the job, most importantly the tightening sequence. As long as you just follow the instructions, you should be good. All you need to pay for is the gasket and some RTV sealent. I think i paid $50CND for the gasket and a tube of RTV is about $4CND.
    1995 C1500 Reg Short 5spd 350 20" MSR's
    ART Strongarms/Coolride and KP 6-Link
    First Time Air Ride Installer Here!

Just Another Low Life Balls Deep's Avatar
    oops, went through my receits it was only $32CND for the manifold gasket
    1995 C1500 Reg Short 5spd 350 20" MSR's
    ART Strongarms/Coolride and KP 6-Link
    First Time Air Ride Installer Here!

If I do this myself, I might as well buy the tools. What brands do you recommend for socket sets etc. (have some...but they're probably scattered throughout the known world by now) Also, what brand/type torque wrench? I've seen the beam type as well as the ones w/ the gauge stamped into the head. Thx! This would be my first time to crack open the engine other than a bolt-on cool air intake, so you understand why I'm weary about it.

97 C1500 Ext. Cab 5.7L, MSD 6A and Blaster Coil using Super Conductor wires, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Volant Intake. Amsoil 5w-30 synthetic oil, and Wester's 93 Hot Tune.

Gees! I just looked at the directions for installing the gasket for the lower intake manifold. I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and have it done by a dealer or whoever will do it for the best price. If I did it, I'd probably end up getting after just getting the #1 cylinder to TDC So, what do you think the cost would be?

Original Gold Member 97Silverado's Avatar
    Not sure, but I would bet $400 is not gonna be far off the mark. The labor costs are what are going to eat you up on this one. There is very little cost in parts.

Much like alcohol, tobacco, and voting there should be an age requirement for computer usage.
    "Drag racing helps me get rid of all my extra cash."
    Team credit card holder and crew chief - "Hot Rod" Heather JD4193 & Holly "Wood" JD4145

Registered User layinframeon20s's Avatar
    where i work at its approx 570 bucks plus tax for an intake manifold reseal, i work at a chevy dealer
    If you can't bag it and drag it.... why waist your time?

Crew Chief
    don't forget you are going to have to retime it after wards since you will have to pull the distributor. if you do it yourself, make sure you scrape ALL the old gasket/sealant of before reassembly.

1991 Chevy Stepside
    2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4

Registered User layinframeon20s's Avatar
    i mark the distributor in about 3 places... i haven't had to re time one yet by marking it
    If you can't bag it and drag it.... why waist your time?

Thx for all the input! Is this a problem that I should get fixed immediately?