GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How To: TBI to Carb and 4L60E Control

This is a discussion on How To: TBI to Carb and 4L60E Control within the Carbureted forums, part of the Performance category; So your fed up with TBI? Let me help ya with getting a carb on your truck. A carb swap ...

How To: TBI to Carb and 4L60E Control

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    So your fed up with TBI? Let me help ya with getting a carb on your truck.

A carb swap is alot more simple then people make it, you DON'T need to change your fuel pump, you DON'T have to remove the whole wiring harness (In fact i keep it so i can use the factory gauges), you DON'T have to use the TBI Distributor

*I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU ****ING UP YOUR TRUCK, OR NOT BEING ABLE TO PASS EMISSIONS!*
    THIS WILL THROW YOUR CEL LIGHT!!! UNLESS YOU GET EVERYTHING TUNED OUT
    AGAIN, DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU HAVE EMISSIONS!!!

What you'll need:

-Mechanical Knowledge (You will be cracking open your engine)
    -Misc. Tools
    -Misc wiring and SOLDERING skills
    -Carb
    -Carb Intake
    -HEI Distributor
    -Holley 12-803BP ByPass Regulator (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-803BP/)

Intake:

1. First off, you will want to remove your TBI Wiring Harness (leave harness to the side!), Distributor and intake
    2. Install your carb intake
    3. Install HEI Distributor
    4. Install Carb
    5. Take CTS off old intake, install on new one!
    6. Install Plug Wires

Wiring:

Wiring is pretty simple, take your stock harness, bolt the grounds back down (I used one of the intake bolts and bolted the ground right to the intake!), plug in your CTS and Oil Pressure Sender on back of engine, take the PINK wire from the stock TBI Coil plug, cut off plug and run wire to BATT side of HEI, tach wise, im not 100% sure, i have aftermarket tach so i just hooked that to TACH side of HEI.

The rest of the un used plugs, you can either A) try to hide in wire loom or B) cut plugs off and make sure wire ends are protected and hidden

Fuel:

I Set up my fuel system different then alot of people, Here is what i used.

-Stock TBI In-tank Pump
    -Holley 12-803BP ByPass Regulator (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-803BP/)
    -Marshall 0-15PSI Gauge, (Not shown)

It is VERY Important that if you are keeping the stock pump, you HAVE to have a return, i dont care what anyone else says, just capping off the return is gonna kill the pump, THE RETURN IS THERE TO COOL THE PUMP!.

Picture of my setup.

Those are the stock TBI Fuel Lines, i just bent them a bit and cut off the fittings and installed some new ones.

I then ran a hose barb out the left side to the carb, shown here.

it ran great, but i still wanted to check my PSI, so i added a gauge. using some fittings we had laying around, Seen in this pic:

I found that my demon likes 6.5-7PSI. and the Holley Regulator is factory set at 5PSI.

Transmission Control Via TBI PCM:

First off, Here is what the PCM needs to operate the 4L60E

-VSS
    -CTS
    -TPS
    -A RPM Signal

Now i did the exact same thing 04SilveradoMykk did in his thread with his Vortec PCM, But my truck was stuck in limp home mode.

Mykk's Thread-> http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145089

I am running a Stock GM HEI distributor, and it is what i would recommend for a similar swap, I WOULD NOT keep the TBI Distributor, you have no clue as to what the PCM is gonna do without seeing fuel.

Now with a TBI engine, there is no crank sensor telling the PCM if its running.

It took me about a week to figure out what to do, but when i did its easy as 123.

1.Find the plug that used to plug into the TBI Distributor and lead to the PCM.

2.Find the Purple/White wire

3. Take Wire and run it into the TACH position on your HEI Distributor.

4. Done!

Picture of wire with a quick disconnect.

Here is a Picture of my TPS on my Speed Demon 650CFM

Picture of Holley TPS Kit on a Holley 670CFM Street Avenger, Far better way to go.

Picture of whole setup

Here is a Video of me leaving my driveway, as you can see my tranny is functioning proper (I still manual shift it) if the purple/white wire wasn't hooked up, i wouldn't get 1st or OD.

http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...t=MOV01285.mp4

as you can see in the video, my Speedo, Coolant temp and all other gauges work like factory (My Oil PSI gauge isn't working cause my Oil Sender is gone, Replaced with an Autometer unit)

Before:

After:

Any Questions?
    Last edited by BlacK20; 01-30-2012 at 10:27 AM.

1978 K20 RCLB, 400 SBC, 4-Speed, Lifted
    1994 C1500 RCSB, 375HP 350, TH350

Re: How To: TBI to Carb and 4L60E Control

This needs to be a sticky!!!

Is that a small piece of a white hack saw blade on the side of the carb?

Quote Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28 View Post
    Is that a small piece of a white hack saw blade on the side of the carb?
    haha, yup, it was my quick way to rig up a TPS on the demon, near the end of having my 4L60E, i went with the holley TPS kit (Doesnt work on Demon BTW) far better.

Now running a TH350 BTW.

How much horsepower will the fuel pump support in this style set up??
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT...

Quote Originally Posted by loudandproud View Post
    How much horsepower will the fuel pump support in this style set up??
    basically, any amount, in a carb setup. the stock pump is 12-15PSI, most carbs only require 5-7PSI.

Alright so I have an 88 chevy k1500 4x4 with a fresh rebuilt 700r4 and I'm going to be swapping in a 1980 vette 350.
    I have tbi , of course, and Im considering going carb because I will have to modify the intake bolt holes and my valve covers to make it work.

I have weiand intake manifold and i have a carb but I don't think ill be using the one I have if I go this route. also i do not have a distributor for the vette 350
    What do I need to do for the wires and the throttle cable an such?

im guessing since i have a 700r4 i dont have to worry about shifting issues lol..

Any help much appreciated.
    Last edited by 88chevyshort; 02-01-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 88chevyshort View Post
    Alright so I have an 88 chevy k1500 4x4 with a fresh rebuilt 700r4 and I'm going to be swapping in a 1980 vette 350.
    I have tbi , of course, and Im considering going carb because I will have to modify the intake bolt holes and my valve covers to make it work.

I have weiand intake manifold and i have a carb but I don't think ill be using the one I have if I go this route. also i do not have a distributor for the vette 350
    What do I need to do for the wires and the throttle cable an such?

im guessing since i have a 700r4 i dont have to worry about shifting issues lol..

Any help much appreciated.
    valve covers wouldn't have to be modded at all.

you would need a bracket to connect your TV cable

basically wire it up and route fuel lines like i said above and you should be fine.

thanks..

what i meant by modifying the intake and valve covers, if i use my tbi setup on the 80 block ill have to modify it to make it work.
    thats why i was interested in going carb.

thanks..

what i meant by modifying the intake and valve covers, if i use my tbi setup on the 80 block ill have to modify it to make it work.
    thats why i was interested in going carb.
    the 80 block valve covers would work fine...

the pvc valve and the tube coming out of the tbi neck under the aircleaner do not match up with any holes on the older covers

the pvc valve and the tube coming out of the tbi neck under the aircleaner do not match up with any holes on the older covers
    use a piece of hose and connect it to the pcv valve and just run it to the tbi, i believe its 3/8 hose

delete the neck under the aircleaner, its a restriction anyways, use a breather in the valve cover.

Quote Originally Posted by BlacK20 View Post
    use a piece of hose and connect it to the pcv valve and just run it to the tbi, i believe its 3/8 hose

delete the neck under the aircleaner, its a restriction anyways, use a breather in the valve cover.
    Ok thanks alot. it would've taken me a while to think of just replacing that hose lol. and i was wondering if that tube was necessary or not.

did you simple run the wires from the harness for the factory TPS to the holley TPS? How well did the 4l60e repsond with that setup and the holley carb+tps set up? **** this seems so easy, why would people want to mess around with the damn TBI, chips and tuning, injectors, boring out TBI's. I looked at doing all the common tbi chip **** on TBICHIPS.com and it seems so spendy for limited perfromance and carbs look so much sweeter. Thanks Great info here

I did this using the TCI ez-tcu. It's worth it. I have a summit 750 carb,hei,and crate engine with a big cam and ported/polished Vortec heads. Whole setup including engine was less than 5k. Made my own custom gauge cluster with auto meter gauges utilizing as many stock wires as possible. You can also use Mallory 4309 regulator it has worked fine for me. Problems I have encountered were tv cable related (easy fix) and using factory alternator with all aftermarket gauges is basically out of the question. I recommend anyone looking to do this with a 4L60E get the trans controller.
    As far as the gauges go I just made a plastic housing using the bezel from the stock gauges. I wired the tach and hei using the stock hookups in the harness. GET A ONE WIRE ALTERNATOR!! if you're going to do aftermarket gauges. It makes for much less of a pain in the ass.

A stock alternator would be just fine... 2 seconds of searching the web would show you what you need to run any GM alternator. If you're open to a spreadbore intake you could also run a stock style Q-Jet that has a built-in TPS and not have to worry about rigging one up.

'92 Sierra (TBI 383/Vortecs/Comp 08-412-8/EBL/4L60/3.08s), '78 Malibu (Vortec'd 350/4-speed/2.29s), '87 Pontiac Fiero GT (2.8 v6/5-speed)

I'm thinking about doing this, my only problem is finding the correct carb for the tps kit to work. on summit racing they only show 2 part numbers for that holley tps kit. anyone else know of a tps kit for an edelbrock? also I want to run the holley intake, but I have the rear coolant hose on my intake and the holley intake doesn't, would I just hook that hose up to the top of my water pump? also anyone have a wiring diagram for installing aftermarket gauges to factory wiring?
    94 gmc sierra xcss 4" lift on 33's. forged 383 stroker, pacesetter LT's true duals with x-pipe and dual 40 series, built 4l65e, 14 bolt SF conversion, and 6 lug conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by philv View Post
    I'm thinking about doing this, my only problem is finding the correct carb for the tps kit to work. on summit racing they only show 2 part numbers for that holley tps kit. anyone else know of a tps kit for an edelbrock? also I want to run the holley intake, but I have the rear coolant hose on my intake and the holley intake doesn't, would I just hook that hose up to the top of my water pump? also anyone have a wiring diagram for installing aftermarket gauges to factory wiring?
    The holley TPS kit will work on ANY holley with an ELECTRIC choke.

Edelbrock doesnt make a TPS kit.

just run the coolant line to the front of the intake, like i did...

How bad does fuel economy suffer from tbi to carb? 2 mpg?
    1993 Chevy 5.7 tbi Z71, vortec heads, GMPP tbi vortec intake, 2" TBI and bored intake, TBI spacer, Comp Cams 08-409-8 XTREME 4x4 roller cam conversion, Hedman full length headers, 3" body lift, 33" tires, Paxton Performance tune (aka 94Blazer383), 4.10's, Hypertech powercharger, built 4l60e.

All depends on what you've done to the engine...

'92 Sierra (TBI 383/Vortecs/Comp 08-412-8/EBL/4L60/3.08s), '78 Malibu (Vortec'd 350/4-speed/2.29s), '87 Pontiac Fiero GT (2.8 v6/5-speed)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast