GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pros/Cons of headers?

This is a discussion on Pros/Cons of headers? within the Exhaust forums, part of the Performance category; Originally posted by GMCMD23 I'd go short because low end power is what would benefit me the most. idle-3500 Actually ...

Banned

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Originally posted by GMCMD23
    I'd go short because low end power is what would benefit me the most. idle-3500
    Actually long tubes are for better low end and midrange performance and shorter tubes are better at higher RPMs as a rule. You have it backwards.

Originally posted by snoman
    Actually long tubes are for better low end and midrange performance and shorter tubes are better at higher RPMs as a rule. You have it backwards.
    Long tubes make power in the upper RPM's.

Shorties make power low and Mid.

http://www.gibsonperformance.com/pro...8-headers.html

Another good read.

http://www.sporttruck.com/howto/1482/index3.html

Second, JBA proved in both tests that its shorty headers produce more torque, while giving up very little horsepower, over long-tube headers, which have traditionally been believed to provide more power. And since torque is what gets you rolling faster, whether you’re going from stoplight to stoplight, duking it out at the X-mas tree, or towing, JBA has convincingly shown that for overall performance and easy fitment, a set of tuned shorty headers is hard to beat.
    2014 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...g-1st-3rd.html

Banned
    Originally posted by CKTA
    Long tubes make power in the upper RPM's.

Shorties make power low and Mid.

http://www.gibsonperformance.com/pro...8-headers.html
    Guess again, those are replacements for stock manifolds and are not being compared against regular long tube headers and they are too short to add any really tuning anyway other than balancing cylinder pressures. You ALWAYS use long tube small diameter for best low end and mid range performance and big tube ones that are bit shorter for hi RPM performance. This is headers 101 for 50's and 60's and this has not changed with time.

Guess again, those are replacements for stock manifolds and are not being compared against regular long tube headers and they are too short to add any really tuning anyway other than balancing cylinder pressures. You ALWAYS use long tube small diameter for best low end and mid range performance and big tube ones that are bit shorter for hi RPM performance. This is headers 101 for 50's and 60's and this has not changed with time.
    Finish reading above!

Banned
    Finish reading above!
    I did. Do I need to find you guys another link on basic header theory like I did on how they use sound shockwaves to scavange exhaust from ports too?

No man. I'm gonna get shorties for emissions reasons as well as performance reasons, which is why I haven't asked about long tubes.
    Matt Dwyer
    FOR SALE:
    1994 GMC Sierra, raised from 4"/6" drop, Flowmaster 3" pipes, Satellite Radio...

I did. Do I need to find you guys another link on basic header theory like I did on how they use sound shockwaves to scavange exhaust from ports too?
    So, JBA, Gibson, Holley and others are wrong? I see.

BTW, since when where shortie headers availible in the 50's and 60's?

I did.
    No you did'nt. You quoted the FIRST part as I was pasting the second.

I knew I shouldn't have read this thread.
    "I LIKE TO HAVE MY NIPPLES PINCHED WHEN I'M GETTING SCREWED!"

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar
    Originally posted by retorq
    I knew I shouldn't have read this thread.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

So, JBA, Gibson, Holley and others are wrong? I see.

BTW, since when where shortie headers availible in the 50's and 60's?

No you did'nt. You quoted the FIRST part as I was pasting the second.
    I'm gonna run some stacks in the bed...what will that give me...besides a headache

click signature for pics
    90 454ss
    92 454ss
    08 Avalanche

I wish people were like slinkys, fun to play with but when I get bored I can push them down the stairs.

Originally posted by 454ss
    I'm gonna run some stacks in the bed...what will that give me...besides a headache
    there are two newer dodges around here running those, one only has ONE STACK i MIGHT could see if it was a diesel, but they look stupid, i would just use them as side pipes instead of stacks.

1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

Well I would like more torque so I could spin the tires easier but I would like a little passing power.

Ok what about some numbers?Ok so far we have this

Shortys give you more torque and some more horsepower
    Long tubes give you more horsepower over the shortys but no more torque.

As far as 50s and 60s tech goes, Yes those motors need long tubes because people ran cams lifts way over .475 and .500 because they didn't need vacum for power brakes and had soild lifters.Those cams don't even start making good power to 2,500-3,000 RPMs but they would run to 6,000 RPM or more as long as the bottom end could take it.Anything with a good healthy cam needs long tube headers.
    95 1500 4X4 5.7

Duals, TBI custom chip, TBI spacer, Injector spacer,March Pulleys

32X11.50 Sport Kings, Eagle Alloys 15X10s Poor Man's 2 inch lift

I have to tell you guys, snoman is correct on the header information. The ONLY "shorty" headers that can beat the longtubes for midrange torque are Tri-Y's; and even those will usually lose a few ft-lbs to the longtubes at low rpm's.
    On the Sporttruck article testing JBA shorties, the only difference that is statistically significant shows in one case the shorties lost 10 hp to the longtubes. All the other "differences" should be looked at as a wash. I'm not really surprised at their "conclusion" based on 1 and 2 ft-lbs variations! Remember, JBA is one of their advertisers; they have to give them some kind of credence
    '98 XCSB, ZZ4 cam, Tri-Y's, Yank SS3600 TC
    PCMFORLESS.COM 87 octane tune
    14.30 @ 92.2 on motor
    13.47 @ 99.2 w/ a 50 dry shot

'96 ImpalaSS
    10.98 @ 122 NA, 10.35 @ 128 on a 100 shot
    stock bottom LT1

Originally posted by 1996Silverado
    there are two newer dodges around here running those, one only has ONE STACK i MIGHT could see if it was a diesel, but they look stupid, i would just use them as side pipes instead of stacks.
    The stacks did look good back in the day on the old Dodge Lil Red Express trucks.

click signature for pics
    90 454ss
    92 454ss
    08 Avalanche

I wish people were like slinkys, fun to play with but when I get bored I can push them down the stairs.

The stacks did look good back in the day on the old Dodge Lil Red Express trucks.
    yea, those did look good on those. still see one ever so often.

Originally posted by 96ImpSS
    I have to tell you guys, snoman is correct on the header information. The ONLY "shorty" headers that can beat the longtubes for midrange torque are Tri-Y's; and even those will usually lose a few ft-lbs to the longtubes at low rpm's.
    On the Sporttruck article testing JBA shorties, the only difference that is statistically significant shows in one case the shorties lost 10 hp to the longtubes. All the other "differences" should be looked at as a wash. I'm not really surprised at their "conclusion" based on 1 and 2 ft-lbs variations! Remember, JBA is one of their advertisers; they have to give them some kind of credence
    seems the only way to get a a true comparrison is to run all three types on the same vehicle.

i went with shorties for ease of installation, cost, brand name, and materials used. and i am extremely pleased with what i got with them.

so buy what you want. use what ever research you desire. they are all biased to sell their product. all of them are.

Sorry, but those things were never cool looking!

Sorry, but those things were never cool looking!
    Neather were old crappy paint peeling red f bodies...but you thought they were

click signature for pics
    90 454ss
    92 454ss
    08 Avalanche

Neather were old crappy paint peeling red f bodies...but you thought they were
    Ouch...Mopar boy! :LOL:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12