GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How much louder turndowns vs out back

This is a discussion on How much louder turndowns vs out back within the Exhaust forums, part of the Performance category; Originally Posted by 99chevysilvy Is there any way i could put the mufflers closer to the motor?? Would that make ...

Re: How much louder turndowns vs out back

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Quote Originally Posted by 99chevysilvy
    Is there any way i could put the mufflers closer to the motor?? Would that make it any louder, sound better or anything???
    If you can find room for that set-up, go for it
    92 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 ltr 5 spd. Mods slowly starting...

Details By Dolan, Santa Rosa CA

The only thing that matters is as long as they are turned the right way isnt it??? So i can lay them down at an angle up and down or how ever right?? IF so then will it be louder if i move them closer to the engine?? But then that means that there will be more cab noise, cause there is none right now. No drone or anything...

You want the muffler turned down passed the cab or else you might choke on the fumes...

Im runnin em straight out the back or some how. I was just wandering if i could move em closer to the engine cause i have heard it is louder that way.... I dont know. Hell i might just go back to factory and say screw it if i cant get the right sound. I LOVE how it sounds when i stick it on the floor. It is verrrry mean,agressive,loud,deep,smooth, From the outside that is... Would cutting the stock cats off and putting on say dynomax or what ever converters help make it a lil louder add more power/torque or not??

I'd leave the cats alone unless they were clogged.... They're expensive and if working properly, you will not notice a difference in the aftermarket version - the factory cats on your model vehicle flow very well.
    Prov 3:5-6; Jer 29:11
    '99 2wd 4dr Tahoe:
    Mods list

I run a SS Flowmaster 50 series with turn downs before the axle. I love the sound outside, but inside has got to me. So I am having them put tailpipes and turn them down right behing the bumper.
    They call me JOE... TRUCK: 07.5 Silverado Summit White 2500HD 4wd CrewCab LMM DMAX

Give me a beer and watch me work

I run the original flows (dual chamber) with a 3.0" inlet and dual 2.5" outlet leading to dual rear exit and echo tips....awesome "mean,agressive,loud,deep,smooth" sound. get 'em!!

Ok i have one more question. Can a single in/dual out flow as much as true duals and will it have the same sound i want as the true duals do? I was gonna do 3'' in/ dual 3'' out instead of the 2 1/2'' outlet on em.. But if the single in/ dual out wont give me what i want then im gonna do true duals with 2.5'' pipes maybe a x-pipe back to 4'' tips under the bumper...

A split dual system will flow plenty well on a 5.3 that's basically stock w/ minor bolt ons. True duals won't really yield more power unless you're running forced induction or heavy mods

So it wont matter if i do 3'' outlets instead of 2.5''? Will it make it deeper and louder or what???

Go for the pipes running all the way to the back of your truck. Are you running headers ?
    1989 Chevrolet Silverado Sport Side SS
    350 Cubic Inch, 12:1 Compression, NO COMPUTER, 750 Holley Double Pumper, Full MSD Ignition Turbo 400 Tranny, TCI Transbrake, 10" API Converter, 4.56 Posi And Lots Of NOS

No headers. Those wont come for a while. What if i switch out the 2.5'' pipes with 3'' pipes for the true duals?? Or would that **** it up really bad and give me real bad gas mileage. Im not racing anyone but if someone wants to i will. Im gonna go get me a airaid intake,tb spacer,and prorgrammer within the next week or two. SO i just wanna let the truck breathe so it will give me the most power and torque and sound and gas mileage. I might just leave it. Oh yea can i run the tips at 45* but i dont want them pointing down i want them even and like an inch or so sticking out past the bed side (behind the tires). Will that make it louder or anything instead of having more bends to go out the back??? Or does it matter. Right now they are out the back and i can barely hear em inside the truck..

As always, bigger isn't better. Yes, letting your engine breath is how you make power, BUT, the exhaust is tricky. The right combination of components will significantly help power, yet solely going to a larger pipe diameter you won't see much difference. It's not about having the largest pipe size, it's about using the right size diameter while maintaining proper exhaust velocity. Do this, and your truck will look, sound, and perform awesome. Basically, 3" pipe is too big. This is where most people go wrong, too large a pipe diameter. Thusly, you lose power off this combination of larger diameter pipes and a freer flowing muffler.

Even if you plan on the spacer, intake, and programmer, you're still only allowing so much air in, and only going to allow so much out. You can do cam swaps, porting and polishing, etc, all of which will help your engine breath and make more power, yet w/ a stock fuel injection system, you're only going to allow so much in/out.
    Please, don't go with a larger diameter pipe than 2.5", you honestly will regret it. And don't worry about being loud, it's not always good. Sacrifice some loudness for performance, since you seem to want both. Run the 2.5" like it currently has (right?), and if it doesn't have an x pipe, add one. Not for sound, but for sound AND performance. You won't see a significant gain here, as you won't see anything significant with any aftermarket exhaust on a typically stock 5.3, but you will gain some low to mid range, and you will gain a bit of high rpm power.

Screw it im leaving the true duals. I dont know about an x-pipe yet. I really dont want to add one if it is going to make it quieter cause it is already quiet enough at idle and i dont want to mess with the way it sounds when i floor it. Ok now about the tips. Can i run em out the corners at 45*, but i dont want them pointing down i want them to be straight and even and about an inch sticking out past the bed side thats all. If it cant be done then i guess they will stay out the back. Oh yea 2.5'' in/4'' out 18'' long for the tips.....

Quote Originally Posted by 99chevysilvy
    Screw it im leaving the true duals. I dont know about an x-pipe yet. I really dont want to add one if it is going to make it quieter cause it is already quiet enough at idle and i dont want to mess with the way it sounds when i floor it. Ok now about the tips. Can i run em out the corners at 45*, but i dont want them pointing down i want them to be straight and even and about an inch sticking out past the bed side thats all. If it cant be done then i guess they will stay out the back. Oh yea 2.5'' in/4'' out 18'' long for the tips.....
    Yes, we figured which tips you want, you've only told us a gazillion times...

And look around, there's plenty of trucks with that style exit, just look around
    As far as the X pipe making it quieter, I still havent seen or heard a system that was quieter after they installed it AFTER they had the exhaust done previously. It will help give you what you want, a "verrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyy mean, veeeeerrrrryyyyy deep, veeeerrrrrrrryyyyy aggressive and mean sound that says 'dont f*ck with me!'" sound. As for idle, it's only going to be so loud at idle. You could set the idle at 2500 rpms, but that just isn't very bright is it?

You're looking for performance, mileage, and a loud exhaust. Sometimes, those three things just won't mix to gove you what you want

I already have that sound when i floor it. Will the x-pipe add to it?? I dont want it any quieter. I havent seen 1 chevy around here with the tips out the sides at 45*. Only dodges and fords have em.. I only wanna do it like that so i can hear it more with the window down cause when they are up and down all u hear is music....So i wanna run em out the sides like hta so i can hear it.. Also will shorty headers help with sound and power or not??? I dont know if im gonna go that far yet. I think it is a waste of money really. That can add to my 22'' wheel and tire fund....

OK well i think im gonna take it to the place i got my exhaust and have them bend pipes for me to run out the sides at 45* or so. I dont want them all the way back to the bumper and then do 45* but closer to the rear tires. I hope i can fit my big ass tips in there. Also can i buy just the x-junction(i guess its just the x part and nothing else) and weld it in later or do i have to add pipe and **** to put it in???? thanks for all the help. I will have more questions about motor and transmission and stereo. thanks everyone for putting up with my questions, i just want it to be right and i know all of u want ur stuff to be right to, but i want to know a yes or no before i go and do ****.... thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12